Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

81 - 100 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Reporting back on my ft-ecu flash experience running the Graves Full Exhaust system.

Disabled all codes that I mentioned above including 2 that were not thrown in the FT-ECU diagnostic (P0606 & P1400). Did about a 30 min ride last night and it felt great, No check engine lights. Smooth power delivery, great throttle response, and great sound. Bike pulls hard, it's almost scary fast. While still being enjoyable and manageable of course. I'm not running block off plates, just AIS disabled through FT, and I get the slight rumbles and the occasional louder pop on Decel as someone else mentioned. All in all, I am happy with everything and can't wait to get the bike back out!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Man I really wish there was a cheaper option for this in Canada. With the current exchange rate, the price in CAD ends up over $600. Sending away to the likes of Vcyclenut means the risk of shipping you ECU cross border, the associated shipping turn around time, and with the exchange rate, a total cost of around $350.

There's a guy in Toronto that will meet via kijiji to flash R6s and R1s, oh to find his XSR flashing brother.

·
Registered
290 Posts
OK Ontarians, I've found an outfit that will flash with the FTEC Graves File in Ottawa. They haven't done an XSR yet. They're charging $249 CAD plus HST including shipping. However if we can get 3 or more together, the price will come down to $179 plus HST plus shipping. PM me if interested.

·
Registered
290 Posts
OK, another option. If there are enough folks in or around Toronto, I could buy the bench kit, and then flash your ECU for you. You will need to pay the license cost, $100 USD and whatever we work out to offset the cost of the bench flashing kit. Again, PM me if interested.

·
Registered
14 Posts
A note on ft ecu flash. I will start with positives. The bike is sooo much smoother now.. 2000 rpm before was ruff and lumpy when in gear.. No any more. Engine braking is massively reduced. so down shifting in conjunction with the slipper clutch..butter.
Throttle response all over perfect and delivery predictable. Now I have much more confidence in Applying power in corner exits. this in such a short time.. So I do like the results.
I used the general ecu unrestriction file and then modified it a bit to achieve this.. There is no O2 sensor removal option for the xsr900 so stock ft ecu flash leaves it in place and this mean sub 4300rpm ish reverts back to closed loop fueling.. Lean and ruff.
But you can disabled? it by going into diagnostics and disable 4 codes and it will revert to the fuel map I put in there. So now my sub 4000rpm is a so much smoother...and this way all that euro4 lean crap is gone.
This last bit not so positive... The coding is a little buggy still and the two screen shots sinfomation codes I had to disable to get the engine warning light to turn off.
3 of which were labeled as Ok in diagnostics..but still had to be deactivated.
If it was not for an fz09.org forum
( http://www.fz09.org/forum#/topics/12603?page=8. Post #79 is what fixed it for me.)
I would of never of known about the three and ftecu was not that great on that subject on the support end.
Hope that helps people on the fence...
Bike changes and power gains 100% happy with.. Software room for improvement, but with time I'm sure it will.
I sent ftecu an email with all the information and screen shot. Which the replied back as being sent to development team.....
I also did bench side flashing...and don't know if all those would of showed if I hadn't of done the O2 work around..but that was a chief reason behind the flash. FB_IMG_1491568818880.jpg FB_IMG_1491568811282.jpg

·
Registered
290 Posts
A note on ft ecu flash. I will start with positives. The bike is sooo much smoother now.. 2000 rpm before was ruff and lumpy when in gear.. No any more. Engine braking is massively reduced. so down shifting in conjunction with the slipper clutch..butter.
Throttle response all over perfect and delivery predictable. Now I have much more confidence in Applying power in corner exits. this in such a short time.. So I do like the results.
I used the general ecu unrestriction file and then modified it a bit to achieve this.. There is no O2 sensor removal option for the xsr900 so stock ft ecu flash leaves it in place and this mean sub 4300rpm ish reverts back to closed loop fueling.. Lean and ruff.
But you can disabled? it by going into diagnostics and disable 4 codes and it will revert to the fuel map I put in there. So now my sub 4000rpm is a so much smoother...and this way all that euro4 lean crap is gone.
This last bit not so positive... The coding is a little buggy still and the two screen shots sinfomation codes I had to disable to get the engine warning light to turn off.
3 of which were labeled as Ok in diagnostics..but still had to be deactivated.
If it was not for an fz09.org forum
( http://www.fz09.org/forum#/topics/12603?page=8. Post #79 is what fixed it for me.)
I would of never of known about the three and ftecu was not that great on that subject on the support end.
Hope that helps people on the fence...
Bike changes and power gains 100% happy with.. Software room for improvement, but with time I'm sure it will.
I sent ftecu an email with all the information and screen shot. Which the replied back as being sent to development team.....
I also did bench side flashing...and don't know if all those would of showed if I hadn't of done the O2 work around..but that was a chief reason behind the flash. View attachment 85041 View attachment 85049
Thanks for sharing. Was hoping my kit would be here by now but apparently won't even be shipping until Monday. I was intending to go with the graves file, interesting that you've gone this way.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just got my bench kit in and flashed with graves 7/25/16, running Termignoni w/cat and DB killer. Sounds slightly different, more quiet, less deep

Good:
runs great, VERY SMOOTH in all three modes, no jerkyness at all

Bad:
check engine light is on, did not uncheck anything in diagnostic code manager
my OBDII reader can't read anything, show link errow

am now reading for diagnostic to see what codes pop up...guessing it'll be the same as everyone else that is running the same graves flash. Once everything is sorted I'll try the FT unrestricted flash and play around with it, graves would be good to fall back on.

Alright it got all the same codes that is on the previous page including the unreadable ones, so just unchecked all those and now it's all good.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just got my bench kit in and flashed with graves 7/25/16, running Termignoni w/cat and DB killer. Sounds slightly different, more quiet, less deep

Good:

Bad:

am now reading for diagnostic to see what codes pop up...guessing it'll be the same as everyone else that is running the same graves flash. Once everything is sorted I'll try the FT unrestricted flash and play around with it, graves would be good to fall back on.

Alright it got all the same codes that is on the previous page including the unreadable ones, so just unchecked all those and now it's all good.
Just wanted to say I like your videos, keep them coming!

Sent from my DP-CMX1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts

Good:

Bad:

Thank you for all of your videos. They are very helpful!

So after the flash, you can access the OBDII reader?

Thank you

Mr Al

·
Registered
43 Posts
So, I am thinking about getting a FTecu as I have installed the Ti Akra and a K&N air filter. Ever since then below 4000RPM is bumpy, jerky and lots (and I mean lots) of misfires and stuff. So hoping this will make it go away. So a lot of people write the Graves map is pretty good. But I can't find it anywhere. Where can i get it from?

·
Registered
58 Posts
So, I am thinking about getting a FTecu as I have installed the Ti Akra and a K&N air filter. Ever since then below 4000RPM is bumpy, jerky and lots (and I mean lots) of misfires and stuff. So hoping this will make it go away. So a lot of people write the Graves map is pretty good. But I can't find it anywhere. Where can i get it from?
It comes with the software.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Weird thing happened to me 2 days ago, nearly 3 month after flashing.

CEL came up randomly while commuting to work under a heavy rain.
I stopped the engine and restarted it to see if the light would go away, it didn't and I stalled a couple of times.
I've brought the bike to the dealer, they called me after few hours to tell me it was fixed, they had to clear a dozen of error codes (probably same as shown in the Ftecu software).

I still dunno what caused the errors to come up again.... Regarding the engine stall, turned out that they had to clean the throttle body. She starts like a angry beast now and feels more aggressive than she already was on the road.... The yamaha staff told me it was normal to clean it after swapping the exhaust?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Weird thing happened to me 2 days ago, nearly 3 month after flashing.

CEL came up randomly while commuting to work under a heavy rain.
I stopped the engine and restarted it to see if the light would go away, it didn't and I stalled a couple of times.
I've brought the bike to the dealer, they called me after few hours to tell me it was fixed, they had to clear a dozen of error codes (probably same as shown in the Ftecu software).

I still dunno what caused the errors to come up again.... Regarding the engine stall, turned out that they had to clean the throttle body. She starts like a angry beast now and feels more aggressive than she already was on the road.... The yamaha staff told me it was normal to clean it after swapping the exhaust?

Was your air filter dirty (on both sides of the filter), which made your throttle bodies dirty? Just inquiring how this happens with normal wear and tear, if you do not mind to elaborate on how you ride and in what conditions, weather and milage that would shed a light on your situation so "us forum members can help" in future similar situations.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I commute at least 5 days a week (40km a day), half the time in heavy traffic (lot of lane splitting and traffic jams in 1st/2nd gear) in hot and also very humid climate most of the year... I'm in Hong Kong...
I ride my XSR since last August, and already put over 8000km in it since.

Being a noob regarding basic maintenance and an "expatriate" not speaking the local language, I don't have much more details to give regarding the air filter condition nor info my dealer would bother to give me 😅...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Update : this morning was "black rain" in Hong Kong, one week of commuting without an issue later, CEL came back. I thought it would be related to the rain, with water infiltrating somewhere on some exposed connections I might have...
After a day drying in my covered carpark, CEL was still there in the evening. I reflashed my ECU and disabled the 4 codes related to O2 sensor I left on (from post #85, by comparing what I had disabled to the screenshot).
Took her for a spin just minutes ago and CEL is no more. Hope that was the issue...

Is the OBD scanner working on a flashed ECU? If yes I'd invest in one (and the diagnostic cable) to avoid disassembling my tank again if the CEL decided to come back. I guess it would work since yamaha cleared my error codes last week...

·
Registered
185 Posts
Update : this morning was "black rain" in Hong Kong, one week of commuting without an issue later, CEL came back. I thought it would be related to the rain, with water infiltrating somewhere on some exposed connections I might have...
After a day drying in my covered carpark, CEL was still there in the evening. I reflashed my ECU and disabled the 4 codes related to O2 sensor I left on (from post #85, by comparing what I had disabled to the screenshot).
Took her for a spin just minutes ago and CEL is no more. Hope that was the issue...

Is the OBD scanner working on a flashed ECU? If yes I'd invest in one (and the diagnostic cable) to avoid disassembling my tank again if the CEL decided to come back. I guess it would work since yamaha cleared my error codes last week...

I have an FT flashed ECU on my XSR. Can confirm that the OBD scanner does successfully connect. I have not had any codes (CEL) since the latest flash so I cannot personally confirm that you can clear codes with it. The previous gen flash (2016 timeframe) would not connect with OBD at all but the latest flash does for me. Since Yamaha dealer could connect you're probably ok.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I ordered and just received my FTecu data-link kit (bike side harness). The kit didn't come with any instructions as to where each of the pins is to be installed, has anyone done this already? I found an article where someone installed on their R6 and I've watched the FTecu video so I know how to mechanically go about performing the install but I don't have the coding to figure out which wire goes to which slot in the harness.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have you seen the ftecu software yesterday I checked the software there are a new update I hope to fix the check engine light looking forward to listening from you bro

81 - 100 of 124 Posts