Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Jake, did you get the warning light zeroed out?
Nope, still waiting on FTecu to fix their file. They didn't give me any kind of estimate on when it might be. The Graves file also throws the light, which makes sense since it must be based on FT's stock file.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Jake,

any news on your flash? I contacted FT-ECU last week and they said they have their team on it and expect to have it solved in 1-2 weeks. Otherwise still happy with the flash?
I am still considering getting the FT ECU once they give me the thumbs-up regarding the engine light

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Hi Jake,

any news on your flash? I contacted FT-ECU last week and they said they have their team on it and expect to have it solved in 1-2 weeks. Otherwise still happy with the flash?
I am still considering getting the FT ECU once they give me the thumbs-up regarding the engine light
I actually have forgotten to bug them about it in a few weeks. I just sent a message asking, but no I haven't heard anything from them.

Yeah still very happy with the Graves file. I've essentially forgotten that my check engine light is one since it's been that way for ~80% of my bikes life.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Well it finally sounds like they have a fix for it. They've added a new ECU Settings option screen to allow you to disable specific fault codes.
Capture.jpg

They've offered to mail me a bike-side flashing harness free of charge ($50 plus shipping from their website) which will allow me to see which code was thrown and then disable that specific one.
I'll update this once I get it and clear the code.

I'm still pretty upset and disappointed that they were selling these flashing kits without knowing about the fault code, and that it took MONTHS to come up with a solution that is essentially well-then-don't-show-me-that-error.
BUT
Their customer service has always been quick to respond and courteous. I appreciate them sending me the harness for free and IF this works, I would be okay with recommending their company to friends in the future.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Hi. Can you save the stock file that is on your bike trough the software? So if you want to go back to this and no one can see that there have been tampering with the ecu? Or is the ftecu stock file the closest you get after hooking this thing up?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I'm still pretty upset and disappointed that they were selling these flashing kits without knowing about the fault code, and that it took MONTHS to come up with a solution that is essentially well-then-don't-show-me-that-error.
they do rely on their dealers and end users to report problems and it can sometimes take a while to resolve bike-specific issues because they won't necessarily have the bike in their shop to do a full diagnosis.

keep in mind they're a small company - as far as i know, they still only have one or two guys doing the software end of things, and if you've ever worked for a small company you'd know that nobody ever just has one job.

they don't actually need the bike to create a flashing kit for it, they only need someone to send them an ecu. the ecu is cracked open (literally), cpu is identified, and the flash contents (where all of the programmable parameters are) are dumped into a file. the file contains all of the parameters, but someone needs to go through them to identify which parameters do what, for the settings to be exposed in the software. the xsr 'diagnostics code manager' is one example.

in the case of the xsr, i'd guess that they didn't initially realize there were some differences in error handling vs. the fz. you guys are just getting annoying engine lights and fault codes, but at least the bike stays running. in the early days of fz flashing, we had some real showstoppers that cut the engine.

Their customer service has always been quick to respond and courteous. I appreciate them sending me the harness for free and IF this works, I would be okay with recommending their company to friends in the future.
i've opened support tickets with them in the past regarding glitches/bugs in the software and on several occasions they were resolved within the hour.

p.s. i saw in one of your previous posts your complaint about engine braking. on fz/fj flashes, there's a parameter called 'disable injector decel cut'. enabling this parameter reduces high rpm engine braking significantly. it doesn't seem to be in the xsr file, you can try contacting ftecu about that.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
they do rely on their dealers and end users to report problems and it can sometimes take a while to resolve bike-specific issues because they won't necessarily have the bike in their shop to do a full diagnosis.

keep in mind they're a small company - as far as i know, they still only have one or two guys doing the software end of things, and if you've ever worked for a small company you'd know that nobody ever just has one job.

they don't actually need the bike to create a flashing kit for it, they only need someone to send them an ecu. the ecu is cracked open (literally), cpu is identified, and the flash contents (where all of the programmable parameters are) are dumped into a file. the file contains all of the parameters, but someone needs to go through them to identify which parameters do what, for the settings to be exposed in the software. the xsr 'diagnostics code manager' is one example.

in the case of the xsr, i'd guess that they didn't initially realize there were some differences in error handling vs. the fz. you guys are just getting annoying engine lights and fault codes, but at least the bike stays running. in the early days of fz flashing, we had some real showstoppers that cut the engine.

i've opened support tickets with them in the past regarding glitches/bugs in the software and on several occasions they were resolved within the hour.

p.s. i saw in one of your previous posts your complaint about engine braking. on fz/fj flashes, there's a parameter called 'disable injector decel cut'. enabling this parameter reduces high rpm engine braking significantly. it doesn't seem to be in the xsr file, you can try contacting ftecu about that.
I appreciate your post and yeah I guess it makes sense. It just seems crazy to me that they can sell these kits without ever having tested a bike, without explicitly warning the end user that they're essentially the sole beta tester. Maybe it was my fault for not doing enough research, but if I had had engine-stopping issues like you mentioned, I'd be more than a little bummed.

RE your PS: Yeah I saw the FZ file and was looking forward to that option when I got my kit and then was bummed to see that it wasn't included. But good idea, I'll shoot them an email and see if it's possible to add.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Hi. Can you save the stock file that is on your bike trough the software? So if you want to go back to this and no one can see that there have been tampering with the ecu? Or is the ftecu stock file the closest you get after hooking this thing up?
No, you can't save an ecu file to your computer until you've flashed it the first time. Whether or not dealers can tell it's been tampered with, I have no idea. The good news is that the ftecu stock file they have SHOULD be identical to the actual stock file, as far as performance goes.

·
Vendor
1,041 Posts
hey guys, I use Flashtune software and am very familiar with it. I'm always happy to answer a question.

the new file does clear the codes
there is a diagnostic button under the device menu
flash the ecu with your file first
then without umplugging the ecu hit diagnostic, you will see the codes that were thrown
uncheck the boxes that have the word fail next to them (this indicates it will throw a code)
leave the ecu plugged in and reflash it, it will do a quick reflash and take like 30 seconds
double check you have no errors by clicking diagnostic again, repeat until you have no fails
you never have to unplug the bench harness until your all done

a dealer can not read a Yamaha ecu, the read pin is buried in the potting material, if you don't change a setting that is obvious ex: start in a mode. they cant tell its flashed

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
hey guys, I use Flashtune software and am very familiar with it. I'm always happy to answer a question.

the new file does clear the codes
there is a diagnostic button under the device menu
flash the ecu with your file first
then without umplugging the ecu hit diagnostic, you will see the codes that were thrown
uncheck the boxes that have the word fail next to them (this indicates it will throw a code)
leave the ecu plugged in and reflash it, it will do a quick reflash and take like 30 seconds
double check you have no errors by clicking diagnostic again, repeat until you have no fails
you never have to unplug the bench harness until your all done

a dealer can not read a Yamaha ecu, the read pin is buried in the potting material, if you don't change a setting that is obvious ex: start in a mode. they cant tell its flashed
Amazing. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Jake,

I just got a email from FTECU saying that they have fixed the issue with the engine light.
"....Yes we have finished the issue with the CEL on the XSR900. Go ahead and run the Tuning Suite software and it will update itself and you will find the Diagnostics mode to turn off the CEL...."
Thought I share the good news with you.
Let me know if you are able to get it done and if it fixed

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Hi Jake,

I just got a email from FTECU saying that they have fixed the issue with the engine light.
"....Yes we have finished the issue with the CEL on the XSR900. Go ahead and run the Tuning Suite software and it will update itself and you will find the Diagnostics mode to turn off the CEL...."
Thought I share the good news with you.
Let me know if you are able to get it done and if it fixed
Hey, so I wired up the bike side harness today and ran diagnostics, but all the codes are reading OKAY and none are failing. I just email ftecu and asked if they had any idea...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Jake,

I also had a look at their webpage and if you go to the download-section and under the FTECU tuning suite changelogs there is an entry saying: 8/17/16 (2.3.7.0)
– Implemented diagnostic code scanning/ disabling for 17+ Yamaha models
– bugfixes for PC import
So seems as long as you download the latest tuning file and used it with the XSR specific file, you should be fine. Now I have to work on my FTECY dealer as we wants to sell me the flash as well as a harness and an installation - not really sure what harness he is talking about though
Cheers

So is your bike cleared now from the engine light?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Hi Jake,

I also had a look at their webpage and if you go to the download-section and under the FTECU tuning suite changelogs there is an entry saying: 8/17/16 (2.3.7.0)
– Implemented diagnostic code scanning/ disabling for 17+ Yamaha models
– bugfixes for PC import
So seems as long as you download the latest tuning file and used it with the XSR specific file, you should be fine. Now I have to work on my FTECY dealer as we wants to sell me the flash as well as a harness and an installation - not really sure what harness he is talking about though
Cheers

So is your bike cleared now from the engine light?
Nope, you have to go in and manually deselect whichever error code is being thrown and then flash again. This prevents the check engine light from coming on when that code is thrown. The problem is that according to their diagnostic code scanner, no codes are being thrown... so. My guess is that it's just not scanning whatever section on the ECU this code is coming from, but I don't know. I'll let you know when they respond.

·
Vendor
1,041 Posts
Nope, you have to go in and manually deselect whichever error code is being thrown and then flash again. This prevents the check engine light from coming on when that code is thrown. The problem is that according to their diagnostic code scanner, no codes are being thrown... so. My guess is that it's just not scanning whatever section on the ECU this code is coming from, but I don't know. I'll let you know when they respond.
who's diagnostic scanner??

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
who's diagnostic scanner??
Theirs. They sent me a bike side harness which ends in the 6 pin connector thing that plugs into their usb cable. Running diagnostics from their software shows no failed codes.

They responded and told me to try unchecking P062F which is "Generic internal control module eeprom error". They say that one seems to be thrown without the software catching it. So I'll try that tonight after work.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Alright so I disabled the code the told me to and no beans. Still threw a CEL. So I scanned again and that time I actually got a failed code. It was P1400 "Cold start emission reduction control system". So I disabled that one, flashed again, and the light is still on. Scanned again and no failing codes, so I just disabled all the codes and flashed and finally, no more check engine light.

This is fine as a temporary solution but I don't want it to never show me fault codes. If something terrible is wrong, I want to know about it. So I'll be talking with FTEcu again.

·
Vendor
1,041 Posts
you have to do it all in one step like I listed several posts back, don't keep restarting the bike till its all done. , flash, check for error, uncheck boxes, reflash, check for error. don't turn off key or exit software. the ones ive had to uncheck are mostly European stuff and things I wouldn't be worries about, I haven't had to uncheck a box for anything I felt important

·
Vendor
1,041 Posts
Theirs. They sent me a bike side harness which ends in the 6 pin connector thing that plugs into their usb cable. Running diagnostics from their software shows no failed codes.

They responded and told me to try unchecking P062F which is "Generic internal control module eeprom error". They say that one seems to be thrown without the software catching it. So I'll try that tonight after work.
just because I talk to a lot of people through email and sometimes haves struggled with miscommunication, "Theirs" is an ambiguous term could mean yamaha's or flash tune, but I know you mean flash tune.

its not a scanner its just a bikeside harness instead of the bench harness, I wouldn't really trust it as a scanner for the reasons you listed

41 - 60 of 124 Posts