Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if anyone else with the xsr has the FTecu bench flashing kit, but I just saw this today. Graves put the flash file for their full exhaust in the file manager. Looks like it was just added last week. I have the Akro carbon full exhuast, but haven't adjusted the fuel map at all so I'm going to try this file tonight and see how it runs. I'll report back if there's any interest. Capture.jpg

·
Registered
290 Posts
I don't know if anyone else with the xsr has the FTecu bench flashing kit, but I just saw this today. Graves put the flash file for their full exhaust in the file manager. Looks like it was just added last week. I have the Akro carbon full exhuast, but haven't adjusted the fuel map at all so I'm going to try this file tonight and see how it runs. I'll report back if there's any interest. View attachment 30740
Cool let me know. I'm waiting to know if a good tune is out there before I splurge on an exhaust system...

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool let me know. I'm waiting to know if a good tune is out there before I splurge on an exhaust system...

Will do. But for what it's worth, other than the popping on decel, I couldn't really a notice a difference in how the bike ran when I went from stock to my full exhaust. There's also a mail-in flash from vcyclenut for our bike that comes with lifetime reflashes if you want to adjust anything in the future for $200.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Thanks, yep, saw that in a previous, post but the mail in is not an option for me from Sydney. 😁

Usually with hi flow exhausts, it needs a remap for lower end response, due to stock air fuel mixture. This usually manifests in sluggish throttle response at idle and low revs. Given I commute, this area is important to me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Very interested too! I have the full akra titanium exhaust, and feel like I have to get my xsr flashed. Also please give any other insight on the FTecu system. It works well and doesn't trigger warning lights or any other unwanted things?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Is there a guide with pictures on how to remove the ecu?
Also, does flashing the ecu woid warranty?
As I am getting the akrapovic in a few weeks I am going to order the ftecu flash tune kit.
Are there other flash tune kits other than ftecu anyone would recommend?

Thanks.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First I'll respond to you guys and then I'll post my impressions.

Very interested too! I have the full akra titanium exhaust, and feel like I have to get my xsr flashed. Also please give any other insight on the FTecu system. It works well and doesn't trigger warning lights or any other unwanted things?
The system is good but if I knew what I know now, I probably wouldn't get it. Back when I was researching it, the mail in flash I was comparing it to was $350 I believe, so $450 for the kit was a no brainer, as I like tweaking things. But now I know about vcyclenut's mail in flash for $200 with lifetime reflashes for tweaking and that's just the clear winner in terms of value. Additionally, as soon as I clicked on the ignition after flashing the first time, I got a check engine light and it's been on since. FTecu has mailed me a cable that lets you plug a standard obd2 scanner into the diagnostics port under the seat and basically just said to clear the codes. My scanner is coming in the mail today so I'll have to follow up on how that goes.

Is there a guide with pictures on how to remove the ecu?
Also, does flashing the ecu woid warranty?
As I am getting the akrapovic in a few weeks I am going to order the ftecu flash tune kit.
Are there other flash tune kits other than ftecu anyone would recommend?
It's super simple, remove the 6 bolts and 4 pop rivets from the gas tank cover, remove the metal tank side covers, remove two bolts hold the top of the gas tank on, and then you can lift just the top a few inches so you have enough room to pull the ecu off.

I asked my dealer explicitly if flashing would void the warranty and they said no, but other people will say that if it's not in writing, it doesn't count for anything. Ask your service department and try to get it in writing if you're worried.

As far as I know there aren't any flash-at-home kits available.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I'll start off by saying that I didn't think my bike was running poorly after installing my exhaust. I actually didn't notice a difference from stock at all, although I had only had the bike 6 days at that point and was still babying it.

Boy was I wrong.

If the bike was at a 100 before (because I thought it was), it's at a 120-130 now. Nearly every aspect of what the engine done is noticeably better. The first thing I noticed was how much smoother it is when going from off throttle to on throttle. It wasn't jerky before and I didn't think it had any fueling issues like the FZ was plagued with, but it's just so much better now. Getting on the throttle mid corner with the bike leaned over is so much more confidence inspiring. Additionally, and maybe related, is that throttle sensitivity at low throttle is much improved. Compared to how it is now, before it was like the throttle was either at 20% or 0% with nothing in between and now all of that range is usable and smooth. I rode pretty much entirely in A mode last night where I would hardly ever use it before.

The next biggest difference is mid to high rpm at mid to high throttle. It delivers power smoother, stronger, and it sounds... better? Cleaner? Idk, but it sounds healthier. Maybe because of this, shifting up under mid to hard acceleration is cleaner. I found myself wanting an adjustable clutch lever so the friction point could be closer in because the bike is ready to go with power sooner than it was before. Blipping the throttle on downshifts was easier and a bit quicker as well.

Things that haven't improved: engine braking. I know this is a personal preference kind of thing, but I still wish it didn't engine brake as hard in gears 1-3. The only downside about using the Graves file is that everything except ecu settings is hidden and unadjustable, so it's not like I can dial in less engine braking on my own. The only thing I can mess with is top speed limiter, disabling AIS, defaulting to A mode, and fan temps.

None of the changes here are drastic, but combined they make a huge difference in the bike's character. Like I said, I didn't think anything was wrong with it before, but I can just tell that the engine is much much happier now. Would it be worth it to get a similar but more customized tune from vcycylenut for $200? Yes, absolutely. Heck, it's even worth it if you go my direction with the bench kit for $450. If the thing standing between you and an exhaust is waiting on confirmation of a good tune, you don't have to wait any longer.

I think I covered everything but I'd be happy to answer questions about anything else.

·
Registered
13 Posts
great thanks for the continuous update.
The shop I contacted in my area, which has the license to flash told me actually to wait about 2 weeks. He said that right now they working on getting rid off the engine light issue. Good to know that you actually do not have to completely remove the tank as I was planing to take my bike there and remove the ECU right at the shop (so I also can see if the engine light issue is really solved....)
I love my Akra, but really want to get rid off some of the popping. Also I hope it will at least smoothen out the throttle response, which is an known issue on all the Yamaha triples, a bit!!!
Any test flights yet?

·
Registered
13 Posts
thank you so much Jake!
Did you also install the Graves block off plates? Did the popping change now with the AIS valves permanently closed, which I believe is part of the flash

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thank you so much Jake!
Did you also install the Graves block off plates? Did the popping change now with the AIS valves permanently closed, which I believe is part of the flash
I hated the excessive popping after installing the exhaust, so I used the bench flash kit to disable AIS a few weeks ago, but I was still getting minor popping on hard decel around 4.5k (which I didn't mind), and also a single pop occasionally on hard acelleration when shifting at about 7k (which I thought sounded pretty sexy). But I did install the block off plates last night and now there's no popping in either of those scenarios.

·
Registered
13 Posts
again thanks for your really detailed report!
I think based on what you saying I will go with the FT ECU flash. As for the plates - I will decide later, when I get my hand on some here in Canada as I am with you - some popping at the scenarios you mentioned I do not mind

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
again thanks for your really detailed report!
I think based on what you saying I will go with the FT ECU flash. As for the plates - I will decide later, when I get my hand on some here in Canada as I am with you - some popping at the scenarios you mentioned I do not mind
Cool! Definitely report back your impressions after you flash it. As for the block off plates, yeah I think they're completely optional if you have a flash. It was kind of a pain to get in there and unbolt the stock ones. The whole process took about an hour longer than I wanted to, but it was my first time taking the tank and the airbox completely off, so there was some "time investment" in learning.

·
Registered
19 Posts
How'd it go with the warning light? If you got the codes zeroed out then I'm definitely ordering the unit.

I live in Finland and don't feel comfortable sending away my ECU all the way to US. Would suck very bad to loose it, also if I'd pay for express shipping the price would end up being the same as for the FTecu unit.

FT pages say that flashing enables the use of ECU based quicksihfters, any ideas on which product this means? Is there on that would fit the XSR. Really looking forward to getting a quickshifter.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How'd it go with the warning light? If you got the codes zeroed out then I'm definitely ordering the unit.

I live in Finland and don't feel comfortable sending away my ECU all the way to US. Would suck very bad to loose it, also if I'd pay for express shipping the price would end up being the same as for the FTecu unit.

FT pages say that flashing enables the use of ECU based quicksihfters, any ideas on which product this means? Is there on that would fit the XSR. Really looking forward to getting a quickshifter.
The cable they sent me didn't work. The scanner couldn't identify the protocol of the ecu so it couldn't connect to it. I've sent a message to them and I'll keep everyone posted on how that goes.

Someone else on this thread said that FTecu was working on the fault code issue with our bike and should have it fixed in a few weeks.

I know there are some quickshifter kits on their website, but in the software, there is no option for enabling a quickshifter, so I don't think it's supported on our bike yet. You'd have to talk to them to find out for sure.

·
Registered
58 Posts
So what settings are available? Any throttle tuning?
If you have the time, can you take some screenshots of the settings we can do?
In advance, thanks!

1 - 20 of 124 Posts