Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I bought an FZ09 last week and I love it. I also have an R6, which I probably won't ride anymore because it's really uncomfortable to ride unlike the FZ09. Since I bought it I've put around 200 miles, but the stock exhaust wasn't doing it for me. So I modified the stock exhaust by removing the cat. Since I didn't know where the cat was located, I cut the heck out of the stock system only to realize the cat is held by friction. So the easiest way to access it would be to cut around the front. I tried to to drill out the honeycomb but it was taking too long, so I went out and bought a same diameter pipe and re welded everything back together.

First start up it starting ticking. After further investigation I found that one of the header gaskets fell to the floor. After re-installing everything it started up fine. Sound is not too loud, and not too low. Its about the right tone.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the forum.

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new FZ. Didn't take you long to get started on some mods! :D

·
Registered
128 Posts
Sounds pretty good in the video.

What did you end up with in the end after all the frankenstein work on the cat? Did you put it all back together with welds and use it? Or did you install a Pipe without the big cat container scrodum box down there...and still use the stock heat shield? Take a few pics from down low and underneath looking at the exhaust that you made.

Welcome to the forum. Lot's of cool stuff on here about your bike.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the welcome. As for the exhaust, I did piece everything back together. It was a pain in the a** but now I know. The only reason I left the scroto package was to leave the stock look, but with a little bit of noise.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Welcome! :) I'd love to add some more noise to mine, but the neighbors wouldn't appreciate it when I roll in after midnight!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome:) i need to meet riders here from so.cal , im in North County
I live in the high desert, I don't know how far that is from where you're at.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's a better pic of the modified exhaust and a ride along video.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts