Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, with the FZ07 being so new I have no luck with insurance. In NY, between Progressive & Geico, I'm getting the quote in the range of $1400+ full coverage for a year. Yes, you read it right. In fact, Progressive could't even price the '07 and put the '09 instead, still with insane rates. For comparison, my current bike (2013 Honda CB500) is only $400 in liability+comprehensive or $600 full coverage per annum.

Is anyone in tri-state area getting reasonable insurance rates for the 07? Also, does anyone know if Yamaha finance requires full coverage?

Thanks!
-W/w

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I'm in Nj and got riders insurance. Even with 2 cars and my house through progressive for the last 5 years my insurance on the 09 was half the price ($400) and I got better coverage

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
It may take a week or two more before insurance companies get any info. When I got my 09 Allstate had no such bike so they just gave me the FZ8 coverage for a month.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Insurance is so subjective based on what a multitude of factors tell the insurance company about the insured. It is moot to try and compare what other insured's are quoted. Just shop as many companies as you can.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
You can't compare exact numbers sure, but relative differences seem to be pretty common. A few others recommended riders to me and they were right on with about how much cheaper it is.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alas, Riders is not available in NY :( Does anyone know about Yamaha Financing req-ts? Different dealers tell me different stories

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
keep shopping and be prepared to buy insurance now and switch to someone else soon as the FZ07 gets into their databases.

Right now it is just too new.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I dumped GEICO, seven policies in total to go with Allstate because they rated the FZ09 much higher than my CBR954RR. WTF were they thinking.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I ended up going with State Farm for my bikes. They came in at $68/mo or $816/yr...the next lowest quote was around $145/mo or $1740/yr, and I got quotes from about 8-10 of the leading insurance companies. My current auto and home insurance provider (not for long) basically told me to f-off by quoting me over $600/mo or $7200/yr just for the FZ-09. I have a spotless driving record, excellent credit, and I'm over 25.

Point being, shop around until you find a reasonable rate. Some companies don't want your business and will price accordingly.

·
Registered
155 Posts
If you get GE capital thru yamaha, no you don't need full coverage

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
If you get GE capital thru yamaha, no you don't need full coverage
That is who I have and they didn't make me have any insurance.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Also state dependent. RI requires basic insurance Abby vehicle. Some states like.Fl, don't require any insurance on motorcycles

·
Registered
150 Posts
I ended up going with State Farm for my bikes. They came in at $68/mo or $816/yr...the next lowest quote was around $145/mo or $1740/yr, and I got quotes from about 8-10 of the leading insurance companies. My current auto and home insurance provider (not for long) basically told me to f-off by quoting me over $600/mo or $7200/yr just for the FZ-09. I have a spotless driving record, excellent credit, and I'm over 25.

Point being, shop around until you find a reasonable rate. Some companies don't want your business and will price accordingly.
I'll 2nd State Farm... granted it's been a while since I've looked at my insurance policy compared to what's out there, but a few years ago they couldn't be beat (for me anyway...). I'm sure it'll level out as the bike further comes to market.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks! If GE capital rates are 3.99 / 3.49% that Yamaha advertises and does not require full coverage, we're almost there :)

·
Registered
583 Posts
2010 WR 250 $2/mo
2002 HD RK $8/mo
2014 FZ09 $10/mo

hi-limit liability; comprehensive; no collision; package deal with SF.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts