Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. Picked up my FZ-09 yesterday, woot! I have a few things to install, screen, fender eliminator, frame and fork/swing arm sliders etc. just wondering if I need to use any sort of thread locker when putting the above on? If so, what kind?

Also for the sliders, can this be done by one person? I have the swing arm spools and fork sliders too, but no stand or anything. Anything I need to know first before wrenching?

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Welcome. I Suggest you make a small investment in a rear stand, either used on CraigsList or on sale at CycleGear.com

You can find them used, or on sale for $40-60. Some more expensive models can run up to and beyond $150. Check them out online and then see if any local retail stores carry them.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Actually, you need the swingarm spools for you rear stand lift points. I did everything myself and it was pretty simple. Any place locktite is required, the installation directions will tell you. As I recall, the only place was on one end only of the front axle rod. Your first purchase, if you don't already have one, is a decent torque wrench. Critical on many nuts and bolts, it also cancels out using locktite. Some bolts even get anti-sieze applied to accomodate future removal. Check your manual and search on this site for specifics. Also, your sliders and spool instructions should tell you the proper torques.

Note: The manual is wrong sometimes. Oil filter and drain plug torques are way too high. Likewise, the drive chain adjustment is too tight. Search discussions on this site.

And, most importantly, congratulations and welcome!

·
Registered
654 Posts
Congrats on the bike and welcome to the board

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Congrats on the bike! The only place I put thread locker (blue) was on the front fork sliders. They directions call it out as Tigershark says.

Post some pics as you progress.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
A
Congrats on the bike! The only place I put thread locker (blue) was on the front fork sliders. They directions call it out as Tigershark says.

Post some pics as you progress and your dog (or any dog) as your Avitar would be a nice touch.
Fixed that for you -- hope you don't mind.:cool:

Reactions: DTM74

·
Registered
857 Posts
Welcome to the best danged motorcycle forum on the internet. You are going to have a blast(not the Buell) on your new bike.

Ride Safe.

·
Registered
241 Posts
welcome to the family

·
Registered
520 Posts
You can put blue on anything... Red is the pain in the but when taking off, just do 1 at a time and swap sides after each one, no stand needed

·
Registered
247 Posts
Dogs are cool! I can go with dogs!

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Not totally in agreement on blue locktite on anything. If a bolt is screwed into a blind backing nut, the locktite has a pretty good chance of causing the blind nut to break loose and turn with the bolt. This is especially true with plastic blind nuts. I would only use locktite where instructed to do so.

And I think dogs are cool. Yesterday, my lab flushed a turkey that looked almost as big as him out of some tall grass. My guy was running flat out with his nose to the ground zigzagging all over the place hot on its trail. I thought he was on a running pheasant when up went the turkey. And then he chased after it for a couple hundred yards while it was flying away. Probably thinking, is he ever going to shoot this thing or what? Last night, he had to go out. Turned out to be coyotes calling and responding to each other a mile or two apart. We just stood quietly listening for 10 minutes or so. Back inside, he curled up at my feet in front of the fire. Both of us understanding that life is good.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts