Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I only had my FZ-09 for a few months.
It was a great bike and if I could have kept it, I would have.
However, I couldn't pass up this deal on a new 2016 KTM 1290 Super Duke R. $15,950 OTD

I know you can't really compare the two bikes because one is more of a budget friendly hooligan bike vs. a superbike in hooligan clothes.
But there are similar characteristics the two bikes share.

The 1290 SDR is quite a ride. The wind protection is far superior to the FZ-09.
Wind at 80 mph on the SDR feels like 55 mph on the FZ-09.

I thought the FZ-09 was a torque monster, this bike is in a whole different realm. Which is something you should expect after paying 3x the amount I paid for my FZ-09.

So far I haven't encountered any of the issues earlier SDR owners have experienced (warped front rotor, loose rear hub, leaky engine gaskets..etc).

I don't want to turn this into a full on review, I just thought I'd share a few things about the bike.

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
It is my dream bike as well - Someday superduke, someday.....

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have given it alot of thought before I bought the 09,that being said the price didn't scare me away of ktm, triumphs etc etc. It was and is the high maintenance of ktm and other European models in general.
I have spend most of my life working on my own bikes and at this point in my life I enjoy riding more than wrenching !!
When I was younger and racing I traded performance for relibility.But for me at this stage in the game I am much more happy with a bike with the least amount of maintenance and good reliability. I presently own a suzuki, honda, yamaha and a kawasaki all of them are pretty much maintenance free.
I'm sure you are going to enjoy your new bike good luck with it
I know your bike is a great performer just take care of it and enjoy it while you can

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nice! I really thought I was going to get a 2017 FZ-09 but being a new rider and my commute changing to more city, I thought a lighter bike might be better. It would also be easier to move around the garage and I'm not a fan of the 2017 09 colors. I considered a 2017 390 Duke since it's a new redesign but people here said I should consider the 690 Duke. As luck would have it, a slightly used 2016 690 Duke showed up on Craigslist. Checked it out. Fit me pretty good so I got it. Should keep me entertained for this season and probably next. By that time, used 2017 FZ-09s will be on the market but recently the Super Duke has been on my radar. Saw a couple used ones while I was shopping.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
IMO, The super duke is the top of the motorcycle food chain, get a bike or two , plus a few riding years under your belt before you even think about owning this mustang of bikes.

Reactions: ttsang91

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've only owned Japanese bikes my whole life until I got this one.
I haven't read of any reliability issues yet and the maintenance schedule doesn't seem any more strict compared to a Japanese bike.
That being said I am prepared to deal with whatever issues come with this bike.

Until that happens I've been enjoying the hell out of it.

Thanks for the input and comments guys!

·
Registered
614 Posts
I owned a 2014 1290 for 2 years & it never let me down, I had the latest 2017 1290 on the Dyno today for base runs before starting to work through all the performance mods on it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts