Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought bar end mirrors and didn't realize how heavy the bar weights were and was wondering if removing them would cause issues?? plus the mirrors don't just screw in like the stock weights.. so i was thinking of just getting new bars because i would like black and a lower bend. can i get a few tips on this i don't know what i need to replace if i get new bars and i am not sure the bend. i also think i would like a little bit more narrow of a stance.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
There are five measurements for your typical handlebars, some use six. The bars are 1 1/8 at the center, which Pro Taper invented for motocross to eliminate the crossbar. Rizoma, Renthal, Pro Taper, and Zeta are some of the brands.

I tossed the weights, which dampen vibration. No big deal. There is one issue, The stock controls have tabs that align in holes drilled into the stock bars. I used a Dremel sanding bit to grind them off so that I could position them where I wanted them to sit, and angled them the way I like.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
awesome do i need new grips if i was to get new bars?? and so the weights don't do all that much for vibs?

·
Registered
233 Posts
There are at least a couple of us who have gone with Rizoma bars. They're a bit lower and can be pivoted forward more without the ends angling up. Clearance to the tank at full lock tightens up so check that before drilling for control locating holes (unless you choose to grind those off of the controls). I tapped them for the stock bar ends. They provide a bit more forward lean, but not a whole lot. I like them though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sat on a Kawasaki Z1000 yesterday and really liked the way it felt. Noticed that the bars were narrower and lower. Of course my background is sportbikes.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've been using the Rizoma MA008 with good results. Narrower with a bit more sweep than the stock bars. Finished the install off with some awesome BMW grips. bmw grip.jpg

·
Registered
233 Posts
Check the thread "Handlebar Size". Nakaji posted a picture of the bars there. They're not a lot lower and have more sweep than the stock bars so the riding position isn't that much different than stock. I don't think you'll be able to get much lower though without the bars contacting the tank. Another member fitted some Buell clubman bars that pull the grips forward quite a bit, but the bars are discontinued and hard to find. Too much forward lean for my neck to tolerate anyway I'm sure. That picture may be posted on the other FZ-09 forum come to think of it.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
There has been talk of the Buell clubmans, but I don't know of anyone that has actually done it yet. The advantage of them is the diameter at the bar clamps is the same as stock, 1 1/8 inch.

If you go with bars 7/8 inch at the center you'll need to shim at the mounts. Or use different mounts, and that means remounting the speedo etc display.

·
Registered
233 Posts
If you go to the other forum and search posts by ziglet08 you should find one regarding his 'cafe MT09. He has some pictures there of his bike with the Buell Clubman bar.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I just bought bar end mirrors and didn't realize how heavy the bar weights were and was wondering if removing them would cause issues?? plus the mirrors don't just screw in like the stock weights.. so i was thinking of just getting new bars because i would like black and a lower bend. can i get a few tips on this i don't know what i need to replace if i get new bars and i am not sure the bend. i also think i would like a little bit more narrow of a stance.
Kyle, I went to cycle gear here in SD and got me some black pro taper bars that look pretty mean. If you want to meet up I can show you how they look. I will be out and about near fallbrook on 76 tomorrow. The grips cover the end of the bars but could be modified to allow the install of the mirrors. PM me if you want to meet up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Score!

If you go to the other forum and search posts by ziglet08 you should find one regarding his 'cafe MT09. He has some pictures there of his bike with the Buell Clubman bar.
Stuarth!!! Thank you! I've been trying for months to get info and a source for clubmans that will work on the 09. I Googled ziglet08 and found what you were talking about, so that proves the concept of Buell 1125cr clubman bars on the 09.

Then I found some on eBay, a month or so back I tried to find them but didn't have any luck, today I found and ordered some new ones.

New Buell 1125CR Clubman Handlebar Option Kit N2002C 1AT with Domestic Cables | eBay

Expensive, but dang, I've been drooling lol.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Expensive- you can say THAT again!! I had found them about two months ago for something like $142 and I thought that was expensive. They do look nice though, and not too far leaned forward based on Ziglet08's picture. He told me that he's about my height (5' 9") to give you some idea of the lean.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
$$$ but that's how bad I wanted them. I suck at finding the best deal for unusual stuff, so live and learn.

I think Ziglet08 said he's 5'10, I'm 5'11 (maybe shrinking lol) so in the ball park. In the side photo of him on the bike in his garage he wasn't as leaned forward as I'd expect, but looks like his arms are straighter than they would be when riding. And maybe he's long-armed for his height.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Kyle, I went to cycle gear here in SD and got me some black pro taper bars that look pretty mean. If you want to meet up I can show you how they look. I will be out and about near fallbrook on 76 tomorrow. The grips cover the end of the bars but could be modified to allow the install of the mirrors. PM me if you want to meet up.

You're going to be in the Fallbrook area tomorrow? That's so cool, me to, we should totally meet up. :cool:

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
You're going to be in the Fallbrook area tomorrow? That's so cool, me to, we should totally meet up. :cool:
Sounds like a plan! I need to take a look at your clutch if you don't mind mine is working fine...but different than I'm used to...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts