Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Been lurking here over the last couple of weeks researching the 2015 MT09 ABS.

I'm happy to say I've just traded my 2012 Aprilia Shiver on an MT......
2nd gear power wheelies made it a hard bike to not love......and oh that engine.....what a peach.

Anyway - thanks to all for the good information found within this site - I hope I can contribute.

If anyone's interested I also write a Moto blog
BitSar and Bikes

I tested the MT back in 2013 and was sort of hard on it.
The remapped throttle is just right now. Still aggressive, but more tractable - game on.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
You traded in your Shiver for a MT09? My man! You should run for president of Australia, with that IQ level. Welcome to dark side.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You traded in your Shiver for a MT09? My man! You should run for president of Australia, with that IQ level. Welcome to dark side.
Ha Gold!

Although I appreciate the sentiment, it wouldn't be hard to "Out IQ" our current Prime Minister........bah!

Can't wait for the new steed to arrive.
Got them to fit the Carbon Akropovic and some Oxford heated grips.
I'm a rain/shine commuter as well as a weekend scratcher.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Welcome BitSar! Like name, like nature? I too had an Aprilia (Dorsoduro) - the MT motor outguns it by a country mile - but I do miss that v-twin character at times - but this is a great all-round bike which is very much suited to the daily commute (which I do); as well as scratching on the weekend. Plus I have seen 250km out of a tank which was a major limitation of the Dorso... Anyway, great choice, great to have you here, and photos please!? Cheers!

Reactions: BitSar

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome BitSar! Like name, like nature? I too had an Aprilia (Dorsoduro) - the MT motor outguns it by a country mile - but I do miss that v-twin character at times - but this is a great all-round bike which is very much suited to the daily commute (which I do); as well as scratching on the weekend. Plus I have seen 250km out of a tank which was a major limitation of the Dorso... Anyway, great choice, great to have you here, and photos please!? Cheers!
Cheers MT...

I'll post some piccies once the new baby arrives - should be next week.

I will always hold a soft spot for the Ape - the Italian V-Twin is hard to beat for overall visceral feel and character.
The Ape was a bike that needed to be ridden well to really dance - I liked that.

Unfortunately after 3 years of daily riding and being flogged on the weekends she's tired and getting problematic and expensive. Done and done.

I'm really looking forward to learning to love the new Yam triple.....+ Akrapovic :)

And yes - BitSar by name and BitSar by nature.......born in Canada, Australian Macedonian/Irish/Welsh....so yes - I am a short angry Bit of this Bit of that.....:)

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
My brother bought a shiver brand new when they came out as his first non learner bike. 80,000 ks later, he traded it on a 2014 tuono.

Welcome.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Yes it is.
But the mt is Much, much better than the shiver. I borrowed his quite a few times over the years when I had a bike being serviced or whatever.
You'll have a ball.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Welcome mate, great write up on your link.:D
Cheers mate - I always find your posts interesting (to say the least!)

Nice pic. Was it taken before or after the trip?
I've never tried the Angels, interesting read.
Thanks dude - pic was taken once I got home today.

·
Registered
25 Posts
BitSar,

Albeit, that I’m over a year late…. Welcome! (Just came across your thread while drinking Saturday morning coffee and watching Brno qualifying.)

Glad you are happy with your suspension upgrades. It is a shockingly changed machine once you get it (suspension) sorted for your intended riding. For any and all forum inmates looking for an upgrade option that falls between a Kawi shock with springs/oil and throwing the Penske ‘kitchen sink’ at the FZ/MT – go read BitSar’s blog. Very informative. [Great photography as well.]

Recognizing that you are still in the grips of winter, are you going to take it to the track when summer arrives? I heard that there is a track located on an island named after guy called Mr. Phillip….

Do it! I just did my first FZ trackday (Willow Springs) two weeks ago. Shit-eating grins with howling laughter! I’m coming off a similar set-up – an SV. (Bit of a stretch but we all get the point.)

Thanks for all of the great information and safe riding.
Brent

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for your kind words Brent.

One of the reasons I finally bit the bullet with the suspension is that I'm doing California Superbike School at the end of the year at Phillip Island. Can't wait.
There was no way I was going to take a stock MT09 - how can you learn when you have no confidence?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts