Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of months ago I started thinking about getting a two-stroke street bike. I started riding many moons ago on a new, '74 RD350 and racked up a lot of miles in the first fifteen months until a woman ran a red light and broadsided me as I was turning left on a green arrow. Totaled the bike- and didn't do me a whole lot of good either...

Anyway, I picked up my RD400 about five weeks ago, thanks to my friend Bill (in Oroville). An acquaintance of Bill's had one and I took a drive up there and picked it up with Bill's help. Not a pristine example, but unmolested and in decent, somewhat neglected, condition with a bit over 10k miles on it. Five weeks on and a lot of $ later I've replaced the petrified tires; chain/sprockets, shocks- it's a long list. It's not a show bike, but it should be reliable and it's a decent, 10 foot bike. Maybe 15... Unfortunately, the weather has turned cold and wet/snowy, so I have yet to really ride the bike. Looking forward to it as soon as the weather improves and the roads dry out. It will be fun!

Picture below is on my first ride after tracing down a bad miss under load (bad coil).

·
Registered
413 Posts
Glad you decided to leave original and not chop the tail, lower the handlebars or get one of those funky quilted seats. Not that I don't like some of those hipster builds, but when it comes to iconic bikes like the RDs, Z1s and H2s I like to see quality rebuilds.

Thanks for showing and would love to hear the twang of that 2 stroke.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Glad you decided to leave original and not chop the tail, lower the handlebars or get one of those funky quilted seats. Not that I don't like some of those hipster builds, but when it comes to iconic bikes like the RDs, Z1s and H2s I like to see quality rebuilds.

Bill actually found a YouTube video of this bike, posted 8 years ago by the seller who sold the bike to the guy that I bought it from. I bought it with ~220 more miles on it than what it had in the video- it hadn't been ridden in over 6 years when I bought it last month.

You can hear it started and running, and see the flaws close up- tank dents, chrome stains, etc. But the engine seems solid and I have it running properly now.

I do mostly keep my bikes original but I also tweak them a bit to better suit me. Bars are lower than stock, new (non-stock) shocks, Conti Classic Attack radial tires (great tires!), electronic ignition, RT Emulators and stiffer springs up front, halogen headlight, louder horn, etc. Try to make the bike ride/handle well, and reliable. Looking for a 2' tall chrome sissy bar for it now.... Just kidding.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will state it now and nnot deny any thing.

1. That looks damn nice

2. Yes i am envious
Thanks. But like I said, it's a 10-15 foot bike. In this video from 8 years ago from the previous seller you can see the cosmetic flaws close up.

There are some cosmetically very nice RD's out there but the sellers are asking a lot more than I was willing to spend since I knew I was going to be putting a lot more into it once I bought it (tires, shocks, fork upgrades, electtonic ignition, etc.). I also have a soft spot for the green from that year. Loved the color then, and still love it today.

·
Premium Member
2,534 Posts

Then you're gonna hate the 78 that I did.
1978 RD400.JPG

·
Premium Member
2,534 Posts
Bill (in Oroville) and I have had several discussions about our shared interest in Honda V4s and Northern Cali.
I lived in Yuba City for a year way back in 1968.
Stuarth, it's good to see you reappear around here, its been awhile. You still have your 09?

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
Nice, takes me back to the first RD350 I rode. Wheelspin and wheelie at the same time.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Great story, lovely bike. I got a 1984 Kawasaki LTD 700 shaft last summer. It has the sissy bar and the king and queen seat you are missing. I will post a pic when the weather clears. Cheers

Ride Sane,

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bill (in Oroville) and I have had several discussions about our shared interest in Honda V4s and Northern Cali.
I lived in Yuba City for a year way back in 1968.
Stuarth, it's good to see you reappear around here, its been awhile. You still have your 09?
Thanks. Still have the FZ- I don't often sell bikes (very understanding wife regarding my "affliction"). Bill is a good guy- but don't tell him that I said that!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great story, lovely bike. I got a 1984 Kawasaki LTD 700 shaft last summer. It has the sissy bar and the king and queen seat you are missing. I will post a pic when the weather clears. Cheers

Ride Sane,
Thanks- you too. Looking forward to the picture!

·
Premium Member
2,534 Posts
Nice! You still have that one?!
Long gone-----I needed to buy some new leathers and a flat tracking friend that lives in Michigan needed an RD. I still have the leathers but haven't seen the racer guy in years.

·
Registered
857 Posts
A friend came to visit last year and my bikes were too tall for her. So I bought this 1984 Kawasaki LTD 700 so she would have a bike. Kind of throw back Japanese chopper styling. The ergonomics are tight but the motor is pretty sweet. Handling suffers with the 16 inch rear and 18 inch front.

Ride Sane

1 - 20 of 25 Posts