Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I learned how to pack very, very light many years ago, so much so that a 42L top-box sufficed for a ~15,000km/ multi-week circuit of Australia by GS some years ago. Now, my small 26L top-box has sufficient capacity for several days' worth of touring - although I do find people standing upwind of me when I'm well into a trip and off the bike!

The excellent Nelson Rigg two-piece wet weather outfit has served me well in the most torrential tropical rain, but it's undeniable bulky. Normally I carry it inside the top-box in the lid section, but with some light touring in mind as the weather eases into autumn and what laughably passes for winter here, I decided recently to make a little more room.

This has been achieved by carrying the wet-gear - in its zip-up fabric envelope - on top of the top-box, secured by some solid-looking elastic net, costing a mere $9. The net is secured to the top-box by four small open-ended picture hooks, screwed into the lid, and means I'll be able to access the wet-gear immediately beside the road if needed. It's by no means the prettiest set-up, but it's functional and should be safe and secure behind me as I ride along. Pix below.

P1070471.JPG

·
Registered
24 Posts
I can appreciate your execution. Did you consider using a rain cover to go over the top just to make things look a little nicer and to also keep the road grime off of it ? Maybe use your hook method as well for the rain cover to fasten it as well.. :)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I can appreciate your execution. Did you consider using a rain cover to go over the top just to make things look a little nicer and to also keep the road grime off of it ? Maybe use your hook method as well for the rain cover to fasten it as well.. :)

That's not a bad idea at all, Chris - and thanks. Although I guess if it should be raining I'll be wearing the wet-gear, but as you say it may neaten-up the whole plot and keep road-grime off. I'll ponder on't while out riding tomorrow during a (hopeful) rare break in the incessant tropical rains we've been having recently... As a matter of minor interest I have added another screwed-in hook (using my last two) to each side of the top-box lid and hooking-up the elastic directly to each, to give even more security. I must say in total agreement that the set-up in the pic below does look pretty agricultural.....!

Reactions: Chrisdurandchris

·
Registered
24 Posts
Your welcome, I only mentioned the rain cover because the Nelson Rigg seat bag I have came with a rain fly 👍🏻 And would seem well suited with maybe some homemade fasteners.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ever the spendthrift, I sprung $12 on a small nylon back-pack at the local K Mart.

It's the perfect size for the wet-weather gear - the two small external zipped pockets would take a spare pair of gloves, and although I don't much care for carrying a back-pack off the bike it might be a useful accessory if needed for any reason. Looks neater too, and will protect the gear from road-dust and grime - thanks chrisdurandchris and others.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts