Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking at an MT-09 SP for about 6 months now and put down a deposit for one about 4 months ago. Just got a call the other day saying they have a serial number and the bike should be ready to pick up in a week. I was quoted with an enormously ridiculous OTD price of 13.7k. What are some good negotiating points on bringing down the price of this bike? I know the "dealer set-up" price is bogus because all they are really doing is screwing 2 mirrors on to it and maybe tightening a few bolts to spec (correct me if I'm wrong). so I'm gonna try to talk them down on that obviously, this is the first bike I have bought from a stealership and want to know how you guys talked the price down when purchasing yours. I know there is an MSRP thread, but it is pretty dead as of lately, without any recent posts.

Thanks!

·
Vendor
1,642 Posts
well at the moment they kind of have you over a barrel, there are barely any new bikes coming in and they can ask what ever they want

When i bought my 21 base model , I walked out twice telling them they were out of their mind with the fees they were adding. I called around and every other dealer in the state (Washington) was within 50 dollars of them in total fees. Even me walking out twice they would not budge. Saying if you want the bike this is the price if not then thank you for coming in.

good luck, hope you have better luck than me your total price over MSRP is only a couple hundred more than I paid ,

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well at the moment they kind of have you over a barrel, there are barely any new bikes coming in and they can ask what ever they want

When i bought my 21 base model , I walked out twice telling them they were out of their mind with the fees they were adding. I called around and every other dealer in the state (Washington) was within 50 dollars of them in total fees. Even me walking out twice they would not budge. Saying if you want the bike this is the price if not then thank you for coming in.

good luck, hope you have better luck than me your total price over MSRP is only a couple hundred more than I paid ,
Appreciate it, this is what i figured after searching around a bit. Talked a couple hundred off it, after some long back and forths though. Expect an ECU from me at some point in the future :).

·
Registered
60 Posts
Been looking at an MT-09 SP for about 6 months now and put down a deposit for one about 4 months ago. Just got a call the other day saying they have a serial number and the bike should be ready to pick up in a week. I was quoted with an enormously ridiculous OTD price of 13.7k. What are some good negotiating points on bringing down the price of this bike? I know the "dealer set-up" price is bogus because all they are really doing is screwing 2 mirrors on to it and maybe tightening a few bolts to spec (correct me if I'm wrong). so I'm gonna try to talk them down on that obviously, this is the first bike I have bought from a stealership and want to know how you guys talked the price down when purchasing yours. I know there is an MSRP thread, but it is pretty dead as of lately, without any recent posts.

Thanks!
What dealer did you go to?

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
3,308 Posts
And if I’m not mistaken, you can’t even buy a new bike out of state and bring it to Cali, right? In which case, they really have you. You either pay, or you don’t play… 😕

·
Registered
745 Posts
Yeah, supply and demand theory and all... I'd stick to my guns on MSRP + destination charge. If you fall for the BS about inventory or lack there of, well, I'm not giving one penny extra. If I walk out empty handed... I'll tell em... hey, call me when you can meet my terms. I know... you want the bike NOW... then you will pay to play. I won't.

·
Registered
2021 MT-09
18 Posts
Appreciate it, this is what i figured after searching around a bit. Talked a couple hundred off it, after some long back and forths though.
Hey Jamie V, this is what happened with me as well. I really wanted one with the Storm Flo colors and so when it arrived at the dealer, yes I negotiated a bit and got a few hundred off as well. What a bargain ... and I have the base model which is far, far beyond my old bike's performance (an '07 FZ6 - which I love(d) don't get me wrong).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fun Bike Center
Fun bike center, San Diego. There is a waiting list of deposits down for the SP model there. I was 2nd in line. They also said they only get one SP in at a time if thats what you are looking for, so it could be a good wait unless yamaha starts ramping things up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Jamie V, this is what happened with me as well. I really wanted one with the Storm Flo colors and so when it arrived at the dealer, yes I negotiated a bit and got a few hundred off as well. What a bargain ... and I have the base model which is far, far beyond my old bike's performance (an '07 FZ6 - which I love(d) don't get me wrong).
I figured so, I was on a waiting list after putting a deposit down and was 2nd in line. I knew other people had deposits down on the bike after I got to ride it on a Yamaha Demo Days event a couple weeks ago and talked to someone else who was demo'ing the bike after me who had a deposit for one as well. so yeah sadly I knew they would have let me walk away from that offer and sold it to the next person with a deposit down.

I payed to play, but at least I'll have a new SP in 5 days🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
3,308 Posts
Fun bike center, San Diego. There is a waiting list of deposits down for the SP model there. I was 2nd in line. They also said they only get one SP in at a time if thats what you are looking for, so it could be a good wait unless yamaha starts ramping things up.
I have to say, Fun Bike Center has a pretty good reputation, from what I know. I don't think they're out to gouge anyone. However, you're talking about a hot commodity in the SP, and the fact that last year was really tough on businesses, and they are all trying to make up for lost revenue. So you can't really blame them for trying to get top dollar.

Hopefully, the enjoyment you'll get out of that bike will take the sting out of the purchase price! :cool:

·
Registered
2021 MT-09
18 Posts
I personally witnessed, at Pasadena Yamaha where I bought mine, the whole walk-out thing transpire. I believe that was regarding an MT-10. The sales guy was taking my deposit (or writing the sale up about a month later, I can't recall when I saw this) at the desk, and at another desk, a guy and his girl walked out. The other salesman walked by us and the guy helping me asked what happened. "He didn't like the price and wanted it for MSRP flat OTD" he said, and the guy helping me said, "Ok, well I have another 3 people on my list, let me know if you want to call them."

He said the MT-10, MT-09 and Tenere bikes were like impossible to keep in inventory, there is such a great demand for them. Between COVID disruptions to spending patterns, plus supply chain slowdowns, the market demand is high for these bikes!

On the other hand, I did not know about that dealer inventory feature on the Yamaha website. I would have "smiled and dialed" and used my usual tactics ... live and learn. I was satisfied given the price reduction and considering the waiting time I spent with my deposit. The bike is amazing and I am thrilled with it.

Have fun!

EDIT: P.S. - I heard the same thing re: only one MT-09 SP was received at the shop I bought mine from. When I put the deposit down he told me that if I wanted an SP from that shop, it would be a long shot and that each dealership was only allotted one SP.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yeah it's a seller's market for MT's right now, the best you could hope for is maybe MSRP + tax + tag fees or whatever.

About the dealer inventory tool on Yamahaha's web site, not sure exactly what it's based on but it's def not a live up to the minute accurate snapshot of a dealer's inventory lol. It says my dealer has an 09, but of course when I went there they had none.

Anyway at this rate you might even end up getting a '22 model. Good or bad depending on if you like the colors.

·
Registered
2021 MT-09
18 Posts
Yes, to be clear I purchased mine 2 weeks ago (3 weeks?), it is a 2021 (base) model rockin' the Storm Flo livery. But, I did see the email (and thread here) regarding the 2022 MT-09s including the new color schemes, and personally I kind of like those teal/cyan/seafoam green wheels! :cool: I love that color as well as the red-orange ... those colors are my jam!

·
Registered
2021 MT-09
60 Posts
$13.7k is about right for the SP, judging by the $12.5k or so OTD that I paid for my '21 MT09 back in June of this year, and actually appears a better deal than mine, proportionate to the beginning MSRP. I didn't sweat it upon my purchase - I wanted a new bike, the new MT was it, and I've been enjoying it ever since I brought it home!

And marke(14), I agree with you on the 2022 MT in the new Cyan Storm. That color combo is pretty nice!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts