Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First thing: I'm not in search of some stupid iOS vs. Android war here. I have an iPhone and that's the solution I need. OK, that's said. Now...

When looking into various blue tooth headsets for the motorcycle, the "tech specs" pages for these things always seem to be a little unclear in explaining just how hands-free their function may be with a given smartphone.

IDEALLY: I could say some keyword to activate the headset which then activates Siri on my phone so I can have it call a number or bring up directions on my phone (I have a mount next to the instrument panel) without ever having to touch anything.

ALMOST IDEALLY: I might have to press a button on my helmet to activate a voice command with the phone and ask it a question.

I am hoping I can answer calls or make calls or find directions with as little finger touching as possible. I don't want to have to buy special gloves with junk on the fingertip for touch-sensitive screens. Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the Sena SMH10R and Iphone.

It works great and i use it often. To answer calls you can press middle button or simply say hello. or a loud noise not necessarily hello lol. To make calls u simply hold down middle button for x amount of seconds and it brings up Siri where you can ask to call someone or ask for navigation using the inbuilt maps. Siri then gives you directions even if you are listening to music at the same time. Music is good and easy to use and sound quality is great. The phone to headset Bluetooth works well & connects as soon as you turn the headset on. headset to headset connectivity is great and usually connects straight away once close to each other once setup for the first time. It works really well in line of sight but once u go down different streets it starts to get scratchy. It supposedly has less battery due to its size in regard to the smh10 but I haven't had a problem easily lasting two full days of riding and streaming music, the Iphone always dies before the headset. You can install a USB and charge while you ride if need be.

I would definitely recommend this product. I bought a dual pack and gave one to a mate and we both love it, great to communicate throughout the ride.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sena-smh10r-bluetooth-headset-dual-pack

·
Registered
280 Posts
Like mitch said, smh10r. The device kicks ass! When you get one, make sure you contact support about the battery clip if your battery attaches right to your helmet. They redesigned it with a clip system and will gladly send you another battery and the clip. The velcro system has a habit of failing.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Sena SMH10r here also, I love it!

Reactions: Horsman

·
Registered
957 Posts
From Sena you have the option of using both the SMH10 and SMH10R. The only difference between the two really is that the 10R sacrifices battery life for a lower profile so you don't have the controls for it sticking out of the side of your helmet like a big wart. But if you don't mind that you get better battery life and it costs less.

·
Registered
280 Posts
From Sena you have the option of using both the SMH10 and SMH10R. The only difference between the two really is that the 10R sacrifices battery life for a lower profile so you don't have the controls for it sticking out of the side of your helmet like a big wart. But if you don't mind that you get better battery life and it costs less.
Battery on 10r is still incredible. I use it daily on my commute and can go a couple weeks between charges.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I have the Nolan N-Com Bluetooth system in both my Nolan helmets. It pairs-up with both my iPhone and Garmin simultaneously. I can also get local FM radio. When listening to Pandora I only need to press and hold the center button to access Siri. It does everything I want.

However, I've recently purchased Bose 20i noise canceling earbuds and these things are game changers. Unbelievable.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I like my Sena SMH10r - I have it on my "as BroncsRule21 would say it" Sweet-Ass Helmet (Arai). LOL

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just picked up the sena smh10r. Agree with what every has said on this unit, except speakers are a little lacking. Volume is great, but lower frequencies are not present. I might look to mod the system later with some better speakers. Other than that, love it!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
10 Posts
The only other thing about the SMH10R is that the battery is separate and therefore you have two units to mount to the helmet. Headset on the side and battery pack at the back of the helmet. I was lucky enough to be able to fit the battery in the liner without being uncomfortable. But it depends on the helmet and whether your worried about seeing the battery pack.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The only other thing about the SMH10R is that the battery is separate and therefore you have two units to mount to the helmet. Headset on the side and battery pack at the back of the helmet. I was lucky enough to be able to fit the battery in the liner without being uncomfortable. But it depends on the helmet and whether your worried about seeing the battery pack.
I really wish more motorcycle helmet manufacturers would just build this stuff into the helmet, especially in this day and age.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Any info on the earmolds?
Are they the do it yourself type?
Those are molds that I had custom made from EAR Inc. I had to go to an audiologist and have impressions of my ears made, send them to Colorado, and have them sent back. I have had them for 12 years, and recently they put a shorter cable on them to attach to my helmet. Also, I had the speakers upgraded a couple of times as technology has improved over time. EAR has been fantastic to work with.

Earinc/Insta-Mold - iPlugz® Sports Monitors - custom headphone stereo monitors for iPod, MP3 players and other audio devices.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts