Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I need new tires for my 2014 FZ09. It came with S20s and I have gotten 8703 miles out of them. The front is worse than the rear by a small margin because my rear had gotten a nail in it at about 320 miles -- and I had replaced the rear at that time. Now, I have read all 11 pages of "What tires are you running" & all 5 pages of the "Rear tyre wear , how many miles you gettin" threads and I did get some insight on a few different tire models. However, the purpose of this thread is for me to determine whether I should go for sport tires or touring tires. Once I decide that, I will probably come back with questions on individual models of tires

I mostly commute in the suburban area and will take the bike out on weekend once in a while. I took a spill once (the bike had about ~4000 miles at that time) when I got caught in a thunderstorm. So the S20s do not inspire any confidence in the wet.
Here's what I am looking for in my next set of tires:
  1. A bit more wet weather performance -- although i almost never ride in the rain, I do want some confidence in case I get caught in a thunderstorm or unexpected wet roads.
  2. good mileage. I think the stock S20s did well. Seems I got more miles than most do on stocks. Anything in the same range would be good
  3. I have flat bands in the center of my S20s due to having no opportunities to ride the edges here in the midwest. A tire that can avoid these flat bands as much as possible would be great.
  4. A friend keeps inviting me out to do track days with him. I intend to do that at least once when I get the new tires. Definitely won't be passing tech with my existing S20s.
Will touring tires be better than sport tires for my use case?

Also not knowing much about tire technology, I'd like to understand a couple of things based on your experiences:
  1. What do taller profile tires do in terms of handling and riding feel?
  2. What do dual compound tires do in terms of handling and riding comfort? Do you as a rider feel it when you lean over that you have moved from harder compound to a softer compound (asking specifically for the Q3+)

Looking for your insight and input...

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,948 Posts
Here goes. Sport Touring tyres - Mich PR4's or 5's, Metz Roadtec 01, Pirelli Angel GT.
The only sports road tyres I would consider would be Metz M7RR. I don't want to sacrifice more life than those give.
Fit the same profile as Yamaha list, 120/70-17 fr, 180/55-17 Rear. I've never felt any difference when rolling over compound joins.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm just wearing out the stock tires on my 2015 FZ, a tad over 4K miles, I'm gonna try the Metzler M7 RR's they have a $50 rebate when you buy a set bringing the price to $200 for both, hard to beat at that price.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Metzeler Roadtec 01

Reactions: bacon

·
Registered
29 Posts
Before buying my FZ in May I was able to put some extensive time on my buddies `14 Hyperstrada 821 in the canyons and the mountains of San Diego and he had just put a set of Dunlop Roadsmart 3's on it. I'd have to say grip and feedback were excellent and he puts a ton of miles on his bikes. This is his commuter and loaner weekend bike and I will absolutely look into the RS's when my time comes. I've browsed reviews over at Revzilla etc and they basically echo what I think. I know that Dunlop runs some good rebates from time to time as well, check em out.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
The Bridgestone S21 will do the trick ! Very fast warm up and great grip ! And no they are not the same compound as the ones that came with it new ! I have talked to Bridgestone rep at the Moto Go and he stated that the compounds are different than what comes on the bike when you buy it new ! So do not rate the replacement s21 with the ones that came with the bike when new !

·
Registered
665 Posts
A touring tire will give you more miles for sure...just remember that on your "once in a while" canyon excursions they will not be as sticky as something aimed more towards sport riding so just knock er down a notch in the twisties and I'm sure you will be fine.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've done novice track days on pilot road 2s on my old Zx7r, in fact that pair of tyres did 2 novice track days and 8k road miles (though the white cord was starting to show). Amazing tyres, that's knee down on every corner as well during those track days.

As such, I only buy sport touring tyres for the road now. My mt09 is currently on road 5s, they seem great so far. Plus the very obvious fact that here in the UK rain is extremely common, I'd rather have something capable in the wet.

Sport touring tyres all the way, but of course there will be just as many people who will swear that only the latest and greatest track/road rubber will do.

Best bet is to try for yourself and see what you like. I'll be trying Metzler Roadtec 01 next out of curiosity, I've heard very positive things about them.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Touring tires are fine for occasional canyon carving, they're even adequate for a novice level track day. I had a michelin pilot road 4 rear and pilot power 3 front on my zx6r that I took to the track, they weren't the best but they worked well enough to keep me on the track. My combination worked great for longevity and they wore down at similar rates so I replaced both tires around the same time. The harder center compound on the pr4 reduced flat spotting and the softer edge compound along with the pp3 front provided more than enough grip for street use. I've only been caught in moderate rain but the tires performed well, if you plan to ride in heavy rain often then I would suggest pilot roads for the front as well.

·
Registered
5,948 Posts
I have never had a sport touring tyre let go in the dry, the wet is a different story. This could mean I'm a nana rider, or that I want to live a bit longer. Or not.
I only have very thin chicken strips.:devilish:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thank you all for your input. I have decided to go for touring tires for my purchase.

I was wondering if someone had experience with Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interact tires as they are currently on closeout on Revzilla/CycleGear. Plus they are an earlier version of the Roadtec 01. I can get them for $200 for both.

I cannot find the rebate on the M7RR tires anymore and Sportec M7RR would cost me about $260 (even though they are more sport than sport touring tires)

·
Registered
5,948 Posts
I haven't used them, but have seen very good reviews. Probably like PR3's and PR4's, 4's are a bit better, but both are great.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Thank you all for your input. I have decided to go for touring tires for my purchase.

I was wondering if someone had experience with Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interact tires as they are currently on closeout on Revzilla/CycleGear. Plus they are an earlier version of the Roadtec 01. I can get them for $200 for both.

I cannot find the rebate on the M7RR tires anymore and Sportec M7RR would cost me about $260 (even though they are more sport than sport touring tires)
M7's are around $200 after rebate and you get around $10 rocky mountain cash towards your next set if you're signed up for an account. Highly recommend the M7, great for fast riding and in any condition. You can grind the pegs and they just stick. I've only had them break loose a few times at mid lean using excessive throttle, but at full lean they've never moved.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/...source=mobile-home&il_medium=main-tire-offers

1 - 16 of 16 Posts