Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to need a new rear tire in a few hundred miles or so. Front is still fine. I ride around town and on the super slab a bit, no much on the twisties. I'm a bigger guy at about 230 lbs in gear. What are the thoughts about replacing just the rear tire? And what is a rough estimate for a rear tire installed (removed and installed by the shop). I ask this knowing that there are going to be sale prices, regional variations etc.

TIA!

JW

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
As far as pricing, I don't have any idea.....I've changed my own tires and balanced them since 2007 with a NoMar. As far as mixing tires, my thought on that is that if you are staying with the same brand and same model tire, no issue....unless the other tire is cupped or worn unevenly. I have mixed two different tire models from the same manufacturer, but it would depend on the tire type also.....sport-touring vs. street track, etc. I would probably never mix two tires from different manufacturers.

·
Registered
857 Posts
How many miles on the set? If it is 3-4k, I would replace them both, If you have just squared off the back and you have low miles, you might get away with just the rear. Threat offered good advice.

Ride Safe.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Replacing just the rear is fine. But like TT said, try to stick to the same brand/series of tire so the handling remains predictable. Installed on the bike you're probably looking at anywhere between $175-225, depending on the tire and shop.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
How about calling around to your local motorcycle dealership and asking them how much They charge to install a rear tire. Front tires are cheap. Might as well get a fresh set. I haven't heard of anyone wanting to keep the stock tires on an 09 yet.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Pirelli Angel GT - $150 shipped on Revzilla, paid $30 to have it mounted. Great tire, Pirelli dubbed it a Extended Milage Sport tire giving you the sport performance and grip with the milage of a touring tire.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Need to discard it after each use ! Oh we are on a different subject ..just replying to the Thread Header !! LOL
Fixed that for you. Hope you don't mind.:cool:

Reactions: abe57
1 - 8 of 8 Posts