Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm new here :)
I just bought a 2015 FZ-09. My wife and I are wanting to explore the US on the new bike. Can you please give me some product recommendation that will allow us to bring a small tent, 2 sleeping bags, and other camping gear? I was thinking about buying a OEM yamaha tail rack and a Nelson Rigg adventure dry bag, but I'm not sure how it would fit. Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys
Stephen

·
Registered
654 Posts
honestly if you can afford it I would go with the factory luggage for the bike. if not or in the case of those of us on the FZ09 I am extremely happy with my shad 36L hard sidecases. way cheaper than the factory luggage.
SHAD SH36 SIDE CASES
mounting rails on, bags off
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motorcycle Fuel tank
bags on
Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Cruiser Car

Reactions: DNFDOUG

·
Banned
3,470 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
These look interesting, is there still good leg room for the passenger? Is the Corbin seat comfy?

Thanks for the replies everyone. The Van picture was hilarious.
yes to the comfy corbin seat, the bags don't affect the passenger leg room at all, I wont go as far as calling that leg room comfy given the height of the passenger pegs. the corbin seat helps with that a bit as the passenger portion is 3-4" higher than the stock seat

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes to the comfy corbin seat, the bags don't affect the passenger leg room at all, I wont go as far as calling that leg room comfy given the height of the passenger pegs. the corbin seat helps with that a bit as the passenger portion is 3-4" higher than the stock seat
Thanks a lot man. I should be able to fit sleeping bags in those cases, but I'm not so sure about a tent. Have you tried fitting a tent inside of one? Also, does anyone have any experience with the SW-MOTECH alu rack?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Maybe a Ventura pack rack? It what I used to use when I rode the 1600ks to Phillip Island for the GP with my camping gear. Not on my MT 09, was on my gsxr711 streetfighter.
They make bags to suit, but the tall rack also makes it easier to strap stuff to, you don't have to use their gear bag.

2014 Yamaha MT-09 (850 cc) Motorcycle Luggage - Ventura
I will look into these, thanks mate :)

Edit: Just looked these up, they look great man. I will probably go this route for a tail rack. I could easily strap a bag, tent, and other gear to this thing.

·
Registered
654 Posts
look at the pics, ^ that's not gonna work with a passenger, the large rack puts the bag over the passenger seat. looks awesome if your wife rides her own bike

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Consider saddlebags, soft or hard, because any bags will fit with the stock exhaust and suspension. There's a thread about how to keep them out of the rear wheel for very little work and cost.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
look at the pics, ^ that's not gonna work with a passenger, the large rack puts the bag over the passenger seat. looks awesome if your wife rides her own bike
You flip it around to face the other way, then the bag is at the back of the bike, and the seat is free.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
It says you can place the bag rearward if you have a passenger, I thought. I'll look again lol

Edit, Yeah it says "When you have a passenger simply turn the pack around and have it facing rearwards."

I'm not going to be using their pack anyway. By the looks off it I could probably strap a hiking back pack on to this thing.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I installed an SW-Motech ALU rack from Twisted Throttle today with their TraX top case. Haven't had it out yet but I was very impressed with the quality-very rigid. I'm using it for commuting but it looks like it would work great for touring too.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
I used to fit a bag and then strap a tent, sleeping bag and sleeping mat to the rack.
You might be able to fit soft saddle bags underneath it, use saddle bags for clothes, and the rack for camping gear.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I used to fit a bag and then strap a tent, sleeping bag and sleeping mat to the rack.
You might be able to fit soft saddle bags underneath it, use saddle bags for clothes, and the rack for camping gear.
Thanks a lot keef, this is exactly what I was looking for.
I actually may consider getting one of their bags. Did you say you used one of their bags as well? Is so, how are they? I like how they just slip right over the rack. I'm just not sure if they can hold what I need them to. I guess I could strap bulky items on top of the bag if need be.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Yep, The bags have a sleeve on the back of them that slips over the vertical part of the rack. I had a bag for about 10 years, and have now given it to my brother. Still in good condition, I just don't use it any more.
I used to spray them with an aerosol waterproofing spray. Good for showers, not good for torrential downpours, you'd need a cover for that. But yes, bags are well made, and you can get differnt sizes/styles.
If you slip the bag over the rack, it's much harder to use it for tie down points for straps, though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts