Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to working on bikes but have a good knowledge with cars so I'm sure I can handle this. I went down on the left side and cracked the crankcasing, chipped the rotary assembly. I bought a new oem stator coil, crankcasing, and rotary assembly. I waited on the rotary for a month on back order and I finally received it and I cannot figure out how to get the old rotary off. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I'm new to working on bikes but have a good knowledge with cars so I'm sure I can handle this. I went down on the left side and cracked the crankcasing, chipped the rotary assembly. I bought a new oem stator coil, crankcasing, and rotary assembly. I waited on the rotary for a month on back order and I finally received it and I cannot figure out how to get the old rotary off. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
My best advice is to buy and read the service manual. It will tell you if special tools are required....and give you torque values.

·
Registered
165 Posts
You need to hold the rotor to stop the crank turning, and remove the centre bolt. You then remove the rotor with a flywheel puller.

As said above, this is all detailed in the service manual along with torque settings and procedures.

How badly chipped is the rotor? It may not even warrant replacement.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I removed all the bolts that is holding it on. I just don't want to start puling and prying on this thing. The only thing that is chipped on it is the sleeve in front of the magnets. But it's chipped right on the face which leaves to sharp edges spinning against where the stator coil wire is snaked up and i didnt want to take that chance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
and yes tunnelvision748. Those are going on along with a jacket. It's my first bike so amateur mistake that won't happen again.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
You need the correct puller to pull the rotor. I don't know what the correct puller is but I am sure it is specified in the service manual.

I'd ask a dealer to look it up for you.

Would not necessarily buy the tool from Yamaha. I would probably buy one from Motion Pro or someone similar.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ordered the book and I'm heading down to the dealer today to see what he can do for me. About the the chip. Because of the oil I don't think anything should adhere to it. It's a two hundred dollar part so I just want to put it back right.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts