Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a first post....

So I stupidly left my key on for a couple of hours last night and discovered the bike wouldn't start. I removed the battery, took it to Auto Zone, and they were able to charge it back to full. I get back to replace the battery only to discover that the two phillips head screws that I removed from the battery terminals no longer have any threading to feed into. With the terminals lined up and the screws loosely connecting the terminals, the bike starts. Obviously I don't want to leave it like that and ride it. Also obviously I am missing two parts, but I never noticed anything drop off. I only have the 2 screws. Any ideas? Please help!

·
Registered
13 Posts
You must have lost the nuts that are usually somewhat captured in the terminals on top of the battery. You need 2 battery nuts. Auto zone should have yours or new ones

Reactions: Rydogg420 and LouG

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I checked my battery, the bolts and nuts are the common 6mm. I'd go to a hardware store, Lowes, Home Depot, Menards etc and get a packet of M6-1.0 stainless steel nuts, always good to have extras.

·
Registered
20 Posts
What a first post....

So I stupidly left my key on for a couple of hours last night and discovered the bike wouldn't start. I removed the battery, took it to Auto Zone, and they were able to charge it back to full. I get back to replace the battery only to discover that the two phillips head screws that I removed from the battery terminals no longer have any threading to feed into. With the terminals lined up and the screws loosely connecting the terminals, the bike starts. Obviously I don't want to leave it like that and ride it. Also obviously I am missing two parts, but I never noticed anything drop off. I only have the 2 screws. Any ideas? Please help!
Because of the positioning of the battery, those loosely fitted nuts quite easily escape their location. I have used a bit of grease to hold them in position, you might position them slightly with a small screwdriver of pick prior to installed the screws.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Packed foam is a good idea! I have been using folded-over cable ties to exert upward force underneath the nuts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts