Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys - Am brand new here and hoping you can share some thoughts based on your experience.

I have sat on 2 09's at the dealership so far, and want one! I am closer to 40 than 30 and have been riding for just a bit over 5 yrs now. To date, have only ridden cruisers. Started out on a 250 then moved up to a 950 and now have a SuperGlide Custom. Enjoy cruising and not giving up the Superglide, but wanted to add a different horse to the stable.

Want something that rides different than a cruiser and is a blast to run through the paces a bit on the backroads.

Couple of questions for you. Have been looking at the 09, the ninja 650 and the fz6r. I really get more excited about having the 09, but would i be better off goimg with one of the other 2, being new to sportbikes?

Also, don't really know what I'm doing wrenching on them beyond an oil change. Have read about needing to modify suspension and flash something or another for the throttle - is this really a big deal?

After having lived with the 09 - what would you recommend?

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
Welcome to the forum Jumpinin! With 5 years of experience riding I would say that you do not qualify as a new rider, but the FZ09 is definitely not a beginner's bike. I would say that a lot of it would depend on you "self control" with the right wrist. This bike has a MONSTER motor and it is very easy to get overly aggressive with the throttle if you aren't careful. Having said that, I think you would be OK with this bike. As some of the other members here have done or is presently doing, put it in "B" mode and get accustomed to the power, gradually learning the bike's handling characteristics, turn in, lean angle, acceleration, etc. As far as suspension goes, a lot of that will depend on what you weigh. In my opinion, anyone over approx. 160 to 170 lbs will find the suspension a bit too soft. If you are going to just casually ride the bike, it may not be significant for you to live with the stock suspension. If the bike is going to be be pushed harder, you will discover that the bike needs help on both ends of the suspension. Of the three bike that you mentioned, to me, it would be hands down the FZ09. Ride it for a while and get use to it, and if you decide that the suspension is too soft, you can always upgrade it and now you have a bike with a MONSTER motor and good suspension.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Suspension is not absolutely bad but have plenty of room for improvement. The FZ6R is also a great machine but with much less character. The 6R need a different screen right away, seat is horrible and it rev 7K at legal freeway speed. +1 front sprocket calm things down a bit and put the speedo right in the digit but the vibration get old quick (numb hands). The FZ09 is a nice ride right off the box. The triple engine is the heart of this bike... for the $ extra... get the 09. The 6R will smoke the ninja all day long. But you will be looking for more ponies in few months on the 6R... Go big early! LOL

I own both and for a handful of change more... you're getting much more bike for the $ with the 09.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
A lot of suspension complaints come from guys here who ride hard or even moderate.

You can get by with the stock suspension and fueling depending on your weight. I'm 215lbs geared and while I'll upgrade the suspension via Nick @ stoltec moto this spring, I could live with it if I had to.

I agree with other comments here. Of the bikes you're looking at the fz is a significant step up but you know how to ride so that's not a bad thing.

Personally if I was riding on cruisers for that long and was looking for a second bike, i'd go with the fz. The other bikes will be fun at first but depending on your personality will be leave you wanting for more power.

With the FZ you can always ride in the tamer B mode and when you're ready step up to std or a mode. You can't get more power with those other bikes. You get what you get.

Bottom line I've never felt the same way on other bikes than I have on the fz (i've only owned one other bike but have gotten to ride many others)

This is the only bike that constantly makes me laugh like an insane person in my helmet everytime I ride it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts