Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys i need a little help. I currently have a 2008 yamaha R6 its been a great bike. But i want something more for cruising that is still sporty a naked bike. I have always wanted a monster and love the 796. I am an intermediate rider. I dont push bikes to the limit so handling is more important than speed to me. I still want a powerful bike though. So i have come up with the FZ9 or 796 i will be buying either new. If i get a FZ9 i will be getting a stoltec suspension upgrade. The ducati is a bit overpriced but is it that much slower etc than the FZ9. need opinions as i have owned neither of thee bikes. thank you.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
The Duc has the Duc motor and sound. I have ridden a Monster and I owned a 900SS until a couple of years ago and raced an Ducati F1/TT2 many years ago.

The Duc motor is special but otherwise, there isn't much else to like about the Duc over many other bikes. Fit and finish and such are similar. Modern reliability of Ducs is good.

The motor on the FZ09 is very nice but not the lumpy twin that the Ducati is.

Obviously, on this forum, the FZ09 is favored over the Monster.

I prefer the power and revability of the FZ09 over my buddy's 796 Monster.

The seating position is a bit different as well.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Generic answer to Torn between FZ vs..." question: Are you willing to sink the money into modding the bike to address its faults? If you are, I think you'll find it ends up being the better choice vs. most anything you could possibly compare it to within the same class. If you're not, however, and you simply want something you can ride off the showroom floor as-is and leave alone, there are better choices... I don't think I could live with the bike long term if I hadn't upgraded the suspension the way I did with the Penske shock and stiffer springs + oil up front.

·
Registered
835 Posts
You should be able to test ride both of these bikes, I was in the same boat (looking at Monsters...796 or M1100) and the FZ09.

After riding all three, I went with Yamaha for reliability, price and fun factor. The Monster 796 was just tame to me.

·
Registered
957 Posts
You should be able to test ride both of these bikes, I was in the same boat (looking at Monsters...796 or M1100) and the FZ09.

After riding all three, I went with Yamaha for reliability, price and fun factor. The Monster 796 was just tame to me.
Depending on where he lives, test riding a bike may not be a possibility. Especially over on the east coast. Dealers don't get demo models, so all motorcycle sales are done without a test ride. People who live on the west coast have no idea how spoiled they are =P

·
Registered
416 Posts
You're going to be bias opinions on this website. Just go test drive both and pick which one you like the best. I've never understood these threads :p

·
Registered
835 Posts
Depending on where he lives, test riding a bike may not be a possibility. Especially over on the east coast. Dealers don't get demo models, so all motorcycle sales are done without a test ride. People who live on the west coast have no idea how spoiled they are =P
We are mega-spoiled! Ducati pretty much requires all of our shops to have demo bikes, I've even had a chance to ride the Streetfighter S (scary!).

My local WA dealers wouldn't let me ride the FZ09 but a good shop over in Idaho understood the type of buyer (keyword!) that I am.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I picked up a Ducati Monster last year before I knew about the FZ09. These are going to be two totally different bikes as the Ducati will handle like a dream out of the box and the FZ09 might need some suspension work done to suit your riding style. However the engine on the FZ will crush the Monster and if you are coming from an R6 the power of the Monster might be lacking. Are you sure you are ok with that because there is not much that can be done to increase power where as on the FZ you can play with the suspension or change it entirely and have a rocket that handles very good and now you have three riding modes and the dependability of a Yamaha. To put it bluntly, I'm selling my monster this year and buying an FZ09 and then having the ECU flashed, Penske Shocks added, some bar end mirrors and will be under 10k when it's all said and done.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Are you guys telling me the FZ09 can be ridible for a rider that doesnt do track, twistes, etc. I am a regular rider but reading the comments scare me a bit. Comments such as, throttle control is bad, suspension is terrible, etc. For a regular/new rider, will I even notice the flaws the bike has?.
. We can keep the bike stock and still enjoy it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
you won't notice the flaws. The bike is ridable out of the box. However, if you spend an equivalent amount of money on the FZ on upgrades, you will have a pretty incredible FZ. I didn't like the riding position of the monster, that alone was enough to push me to the FZ line, factor in price power and the rest of the FZ advantages it was a no brainer for me..

The best thing the Ducati had going for it was "Ducati"

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Everything I have read shows the suspension is terrible stock. I wouldn't even consider buying it if I didn't intend to replace the suspension right away. A bike doesn't need a super sporty suspension. But it needs a predictable one that behaves correctly. The fZ9 does not it doesn't react like it should and the powerful engine makes it worse. I'm sure you can ride it stock as most people will but you won't get the benefit you should out of th engine or chassis. Also emergency maneuver should be precise not sloppy.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Are you guys telling me the FZ09 can be ridible for a rider that doesnt do track, twistes, etc. I am a regular rider but reading the comments scare me a bit. Comments such as, throttle control is bad, suspension is terrible, etc. For a regular/new rider, will I even notice the flaws the bike has?.
It all depends on what you want.

Is the bike rideable with stock suspension: absolutely!

Stock suspension can be upgraded a number of ways:
Rear: $200-1000
Penske shock for $800 or so or a ZX6RR rear shock for probably $200 including a new spring.

Front: $120-2500
Ohlins forks for $2500+, new cartridges for $1200, upgraded valving for $4-600, properly fitted springs for $100 and heavier fork oil for $20

Each step up provides better control and feel.

For many (probably most) newer riders they would not know the difference.

Is the throttle control an issue: yes but it is easily dealt with and for at least one new rider I know by zeroing the TPS and the throttle cable slack. It made a night and day difference for him. Zeroing the TPS and the throttle cable slack takes 20-30 minutes in your garage and a 8mm socket wrench.

A reflash will also improve it.

For the average new rider, I doubt most of this would matter.

Would these changes help the bike for a new rider? Absolutely!

Are they required? That is up to you and whether or not you want that fine of control.

I've been riding for over 40 years and have raced all sorts of racing and other things. I am also 230 lbs. So ANY bike I buy MUST have the suspension upgraded because no bike is built to handle like I want it to and also set up for a 230 lb rider.

Most bikes are set up for 160 lb rider and 70 lb over that will just kill the suspension's performance and the BEST suspension made.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Don't let the comments scare you. Some of us (like me) cannot afford to upgrade the suspension right away. I for one find the stock setup acceptable. I have not pushed it extremely hard in the twisties yet, and have never had it get unstable on me. Throttle control is fine. Yes INITIAL throttle response can be abrupt in STD and A modes, BUT if you are in the habit of smooth throttle input and let off (as one should be), you will get used to it very quickly. If I am riding through town in stop and go traffic, I just put it in B mode and it is perfect. This is a very fun bike to have.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
The Duc's service intervals are much more common.

Saying that I DO like them. But for the price per fun the FZ-09 wins.

Also before you decide there are spy photos circulating of a new Monster 800 coming out soon. It looks sweet, like the new 1200S.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I picked up a Ducati Monster last year before I knew about the FZ09. These are going to be two totally different bikes as the Ducati will handle like a dream out of the box and the FZ09 might need some suspension work done to suit your riding style. However the engine on the FZ will crush the Monster and if you are coming from an R6 the power of the Monster might be lacking. Are you sure you are ok with that because there is not much that can be done to increase power where as on the FZ you can play with the suspension or change it entirely and have a rocket that handles very good and now you have three riding modes and the dependability of a Yamaha. To put it bluntly, I'm selling my monster this year and buying an FZ09 and then having the ECU flashed, Penske Shocks added, some bar end mirrors and will be under 10k when it's all said and done.
I second what he said!

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
If you don't have smooth roads the ECU will be a must. My roads are shit and I can't stand to ride mine in anything but B mode. Every expansion joint, ripple, and pot hole causes a surging bucking aggravation. I haven't had the reflash yet because I'm waiting to decide on an exhaust. The suspension for me (220lbs) was pretty important, but if you are lighter and you spend most of your time cruising the suspension may not be too bad for you stock and fixable with just a couple hundred invested. However, even if you drop a couple grand you still have less invested than the Ducati. The FZ09 is the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden period. I was thinking about the Ninja 1000 as my next purchase because I have the motard for city duty and wanted something set up for longer trips. On impulse I bought the FZ9 and here lately I was second guessing my purchase. However, I finally got to sit on the Ninja Saturday and I can now put my regret to rest as my FZ is way more comfortable.

My dealer will let me ride anything I want, but he knows I'm a buyer not just a tire kicker. I'd call around or stop by and make it clear that you are buying a bike and tell him which ones and see about test riding. That's your best bet at making the right decision. Good luck.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I'll suggest you forget about the Yamaha. The thing is damn near unrideable out of the box. It has a lousy gearbox, poor suspension, poor fuel delivery, suspect forks, a vulnerable drain plug, a timing chain tensioner that won't maintain tension, buttery soft paint, and its likely prone to rust. Those are the issues that have presented in the first few months after release. I can't wait to see what other issues are coming down the pike. Sure the Ducati will cost more, but in this case you'll get what you pay for.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'll suggest you forget about the Yamaha. The thing is damn near unrideable out of the box. It has a lousy gearbox, poor suspension, poor fuel delivery, suspect forks, a vulnerable drain plug, a timing chain tensioner that won't maintain tension, buttery soft paint, and its likely prone to rust. Those are the issues that have presented in the first few months after release. I can't wait to see what other issues are coming down the pike. Sure the Ducati will cost more, but in this case you'll get what you pay for.
Oh look, the anti-Yamaha guy is back spewing poison about the FZ-09.

Mine is totally stock except for a windscreen, and it took me about a week or so to get used to riding it. Now I can ride it any way I want and it feels fine.

1 - 20 of 151 Posts