Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 2014 Yamaha FZ-09 with 17k miles. I got the first 4 services performed at the Yamaha dealership (Up to 12k miles). The bike is garage kept and looks great for a 17k-mile bike.

Recently, my bike has been having issues. At first it wasn't starting the very first try (which never happens). This happened about 4 times, but has since gone away. However, what replaced this problem is much worse.

When trying to accelerate, particularly in lower RPMs, the bike will suddenly lose power and drop down. Then it will shoot back up just as suddenly/randomly. It was rather minor and only occurred while trying to launch the bike (and would go away after the bike warmed up good), but now it happens through each gear and at any speed without going away. I basically have to drag start the bike to keep it from stalling out at redlights and it looks like I have the world's worst throttle control rolling down the street. The bike is constantly dropping in RPMS and shooting back up. The issue keeps getting worse. Interesting enough, when I crank the bike and let it sit in neutral and barely give it revs, the lights will sometimes flicker and then the bike will shut itself off.

My first thought was the spark plugs, but I checked them and they were just fine. I then figured it was time for a new battery and this could be why my fueling is off since everything is controlled by a computer these days. I switched out the battery and the problem still persists. I have the bike pulled apart in the garage and don't see any loose wiring or anything. This is driving me bonkers and I really want to get back on the road. Currently my bike just isn't safe to ride.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
do you have a ecu flash and is there any other modifications to the motorcycle?

did you try accessing the diagnostic codes using the odometer,

have you read the service manual?

my guess would be throttle position or acceleration sensor,

maybe even the crankshaft position sensor if its cutting off.

but if you can read the diagnostic codes, you can pin point the exact problem.

page 8-32 in the service manual starts the fuel injection section.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Make sure you sidestand bolts are secure and check the sidestand switch. Next check clutch switch especially if aftermarket levers...

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
567 Posts
Try disconnecting the connectors to the computer - check for corrosion and put them back together. Might do nothing, but worth a try.
Might also be something with the instrument panel also - perhaps someone will chime in with the deal on that. Connection not good or something like that.
Last suggestion is check the kill switch for corrosion.

If you are not getting any codes, it will be hard to find.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you ever find a solution to the sputtering problem. My 2014 FZ-09 has 16,000 miles and just started doing this in the last week or so. It's been getting more frequent and more severe every day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts