Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be removing the exhaust to get it powder coated, just wondering what I should torque the header nuts and rear mounting bolts to when I go to reinstall it.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Just saying... Don't powder coat it. It's too hot, and it'll end up going chalky and literally melting off. It "melts" when they bake it on at 400*, so it can't even get that hot. If you just meant ceramic coating, awesome and ignore what I just said :)

I just tightened mine by feel... So I can't really help you there, sorry. Might PM DNFDoug or Marthy if no one else chimes in

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
14 ft/lb on top of my mind. Someone ask me a while ago for the FZ6R and those are the same size. I usually just tight them up...

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just saying... Don't powder coat it. It's too hot, and it'll end up going chalky and literally melting off. It "melts" when they bake it on at 400*, so it can't even get that hot. If you just meant ceramic coating, awesome and ignore what I just said :)

I just tightened mine by feel... So I can't really help you there, sorry. Might PM DNFDoug or Marthy if no one else chimes in
Yes, I mis-typed... I'm getting a ceramic coating...

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
It's 14 ft-lbs per the manual. But I'd check them after a couple rides & re-torque, a few of mine needed to get tightened up just a little bit after about 200 miles

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Without checking with a torque wrench, how could you know if you're even close to the correct value? I sure wouldn't risk it. We've had posts on here of owners shearing off the exhaust studs and the results can be very expensive.

If access is a problem, you can get a crowfoot open end and extension to use with the torque wrench. There are tables available to compensate for the measured torque versus the difference in leverage.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I think it ended up good, I think that I had over-tightened them previously and bought new crush washers for the occasion and I will check the tightness in 2-3 days or another 120 miles, WITH a torque wrench. Lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts