Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But not one that's going to cost an arm and a leg.

What can any of you guys recommend?

I like the pitbull's but can't afford to drop $300+ on a set of stands.

Is there anything around the $150 ? for front and back, that's well built and decent?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I got a set of T-Rex stands for mine. Pretty nice, I think they were about 200 delivered.

·
Registered
196 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
196 Posts
1779176_10152236062124491_1237943086_n.jpg
I don't understand why these are not compatible with the FZ09 ? They're nice and small 6mm, black, with dark bolts. Seem to be the perfect match... However under the bike selection it says not compatible. What am I missing here? What else do i need to be looking out for, when purchasing my spools.
Those are the exact ones I bought, they work just fine.

Bad pic, but those are them.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I don't understand why these are not compatible with the FZ09 ? They're nice and small 6mm, black, with dark bolts. Seem to be the perfect match... However under the bike selection it says not compatible. What am I missing here? What else do i need to be looking out for, when purchasing my spools.

Black 6mm Rear Swingarm Motorcycle Spool Sliders Swing Arm Stand M6 Pair BOBBINS | eBay
ebay's vehicle compatibility feature is broken. 6mm. Yes. Don't forget to blue Loctite em. Those are the little thin spools like I have... The more expensive ones could be used as swingarm crash sliders.

·
Registered
337 Posts
There is a reason why Pitbull stands have a premium price, you buy one set and you will own them for the rest of your life. My rear stand is from the mid 90's and has been subjected to tons of abuse, still holding up great. Friends have purchased cheaper alternatives over the years and in most cases regret it after a couple years when they start to fall apart or lose stability. Personally I would look for a used set of Pitbulls and just buy the correct pins over buying some of the knock offs floating around these days.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I bought mine from Cycle Gear when they were half price - $40 each. Trackside brand. Sturdy enough, but I did have to modify the front stand a bit as the "fingers " wouldn't spread wide enough to clear the disks as the springs that hold them in position kept them from spreading wider (coil bound). Cutting the springs down and drilling an additional hole for the retaining clip (to hold the fingers against the spring tension) solved that. The two fingers on each side are spaced too far apart too so the fork will slip between them. I had to put a piece of PVC around one which closed up the spacing enough so the forks don't slip through. So the front isn't the greatest, but works fine after some tweaks. The rear isn't an issue at all. Harbor Freight also sells a rear stand for (I think) $30 on sale. Haven't tried it but their review section should give you an idea about how well it works.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I ended up settling on the GPI industries, front and back. Reason being is that they're all one piece, and not bolted together. I can also upgrade the front stand to include the front head lift, at a later date if need be. As much as i would love to have bought the PitBulls, i just couldn't justify the extra cost for the time being... Also they have interchangeable lifts, so i can use it on my other bike.

http://s25.postimg.cc/76a9kg4f3/GPI.png

·
Registered
473 Posts
I got the pitt bull rear stand for $130 at cycle gear. I also got the front wheel chock so I can set my rear stand without help from anyone. The chock is hard to get the bike in and out but once in it's rock solid. The wheel chock tends to slide around and is designed to be bolted down. You could use it for pick up or trailer tranport.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Guys, I rec'd my stands today, and i couldn't be happier. These are built to last. Rock solid. I'm never going to need another set of stands ever again. I used the small spools, which i picked up for $10, and they're hardly noticeable once installed. Anyway, just putting this out there, for those who may be in a similar predicament to what i was. Wanting good quality, but not wanting to spend an absolute fortune... When you order on-line, its always a bit of a crapshoot. This one for $175 all in, front and back, even though still expensive, are a well made, solid, good looking stand.

I ended up settling on the GPI industries, front and back. Reason being is that they're all one piece, and not bolted together. I can also upgrade the front stand to include the front head lift, at a later date if need be. As much as i would love to have bought the PitBulls, i just couldn't justify the extra cost for the time being... Also they have interchangeable lifts, so i can use it on my other bike.

http://s25.postimg.cc/76a9kg4f3/GPI.png

·
Registered
65 Posts
ive got a set of generic stands (about $120) that you put together after you get them. they are "decent" id say. not the most stable, but stable enough. had em about a year and they still work fine. having said all that, i like those GPI stands a lot. i like that they are one solid piece.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I bought a set of GPI stands. Couldn't seem to source the proper headlift pin for my pitbull frontstand, and I had a bike-specific rear stand, so I needed a spooled rearstand anyway. The GPI stands aren't as solid as the pitbulls, but they're good enough I think.

·
Registered
209 Posts
For the Pit Bull front stand, I got the Standard Pin and it works great.
I was just about to ask this question. Looks like its already been answered for me with a quick search! So i guess I can order standard pin with no adapters? Im about to order the front hybrid stand plus rear front handle spooled stand.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I was just about to ask this question. Looks like its already been answered for me with a quick search! So i guess I can order standard pin with no adapters? Im about to order the front hybrid stand plus rear front handle spooled stand.
That's correct, no adapters. Just the Standard Pin.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts