Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've put about 3K on my FZ-09 since purchase and had the Stoltec Flash done within the first 500 miles. It is vastly improved, but still pisses me off at a deep level when I can't make a smooth transition into the throttle in 2nd gear at 25mph. I'm probably closing in on 150,000 on motorcycles but I figure that for the $7800 I paid, it's tolerable that I can only be smooth in that scenario 50% of the time. Mostly I ride around it and found the mapping to be completely unobtrusive on my favorite mountain roads.

I've also read about the stock suspension and find that for the majority of my riding, it's tolerable. I only weigh 150, so that helps. I've got it set up to nearly full preload/full hard. Sure it wallows when pushed, and sure I can only go fast on certain roads/corners, but whatever. I realized early on that the bike does fine until a certain point and then it goes all wallow/vague/'oh I better slow down before it oscillates once more and crash'. Until Saturday, I was really considering leaving 'bad enough' alone and just keeping the bike cheap. No more. I was playing and having fun until I came in at a reasonable entrance speed on an entrance ramp that I've done many times before (but never on the FZ-09). I was in a good lean when the bike hit some previously unnoticed braking ripples. Then all hell broke loose. The bike just started to bounce everywhere, my peg dragged, and my happy and confident control over the A-mode turned into a spastic on/off that I blame more on the light throttle action than anything else. I can honestly say that I had no idea just how bad the suspension really was. I need a little more reserve from my bike's performance. WTF were they thinking? The bike has way more motor and brakes than suspension.

That's my rant for the day. Anybody else been ambushed by the suspension?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Its happened to me.. but not anymore. ECU flash does help, but as your speed and confidence increases you will start to find yourself at the suspensions limits. I eventually upgraded the suspension and virtually all of the throttle issues have disappeared at any speed and corner. So either slow down or upgrade your suspension.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I knew it was bad suspension from the test ride, so it never caught me out as such.
I'm a full size human (105-110kgs in gear), so suspension was first on my list. Haven't had a flash yet.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'm about 200 lbs. and even at very tame speeds I noticed the pogo effect over the slightest of road irregularities. My Ohlins shock should be here any day now and I'm looking forward to a more planted feeling bike!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I was riding mine way too fast for the stock suspension and tires through turn 15 at the Ridge with the pegs dragging when it hit a bump and started gyrating until it fell on it's right side. It was already leaned over pretty far so it didn't have too much further to go so the damage was minimal.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I've put about 3K on my FZ-09 since purchase and had the Stoltec Flash done within the first 500 miles. It is vastly improved, but still pisses me off at a deep level when I can't make a smooth transition into the throttle in 2nd gear at 25mph. I'm probably closing in on 150,000 on motorcycles but I figure that for the $7800 I paid, it's tolerable that I can only be smooth in that scenario 50% of the time. Mostly I ride around it and found the mapping to be completely unobtrusive on my favorite mountain roads.

I've also read about the stock suspension and find that for the majority of my riding, it's tolerable. I only weigh 150, so that helps. I've got it set up to nearly full preload/full hard. Sure it wallows when pushed, and sure I can only go fast on certain roads/corners, but whatever. I realized early on that the bike does fine until a certain point and then it goes all wallow/vague/'oh I better slow down before it oscillates once more and crash'. Until Saturday, I was really considering leaving 'bad enough' alone and just keeping the bike cheap. No more. I was playing and having fun until I came in at a reasonable entrance speed on an entrance ramp that I've done many times before (but never on the FZ-09). I was in a good lean when the bike hit some previously unnoticed braking ripples. Then all hell broke loose. The bike just started to bounce everywhere, my peg dragged, and my happy and confident control over the A-mode turned into a spastic on/off that I blame more on the light throttle action than anything else. I can honestly say that I had no idea just how bad the suspension really was. I need a little more reserve from my bike's performance. WTF were they thinking? The bike has way more motor and brakes than suspension.

That's my rant for the day. Anybody else been ambushed by the suspension?
suspension replacement front and rear was the best thing I ever did. the bike just 'handles' everything. It doesn't get upset if there's ripples, humps, whoops, anything. I Highly recomend you replace the suspension before you 'Ooops.

I picked up some dude who'd run outta gas on the interstate the other day, even loaded down with double my weight the bike handles beautiful. (and I ain't in 'fighting' trim anymore)

But, the motor was why I bought the bike, not the suspension. Luckily there's excellent replacements out there. I went with Penske, (Thanks Stoltec!)

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Sounds like a miscalculation.
Yamaha shorted you. (thieves...shameful)
You thought Yamaha gave you more.
Glad you didn't get hurt, chief.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
After my first few rides, I was extremely concerned and disappointed with the suspension. The flash and a G2 throttle tamer with a Y200 profile completely fixed the throttle issues in the turns. I went all out with suspension upgrades, and I am glad that I did. The bike does exactly what I want it to do in the turns.

My wife weighs 130 and I plan on going with heavier fork fluid, a GPR, and a new shock on the FZ-09 she is picking up in the near future.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Never had a problem. I've had the bike since last winter and its my main bike. I still don't get the complaints. Stay safe.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Never had a problem. I've had the bike since last winter and its my main bike. I still don't get the complaints. Stay safe.
I guess it depends on how hard you push the bike, if at all. :)

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Lets see a pic of your rear tire, that will tell us how fast your going.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
No offense, but you are poking around, so you will never get the bike to a point where it will exhibit its shortcomings. The motor, if used to its potential, will outperform the suspension.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Lets see a pic of your rear tire, that will tell us how fast your going.
I'm not here to prove anything to you. I'll try not to crash though. That's more important than what my rear tire looks like. The road is not my race track.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I don't have any issues, I maxed out the preload on the rear and increased the proload on the forks and even when I push it in the mountains I am fine. My pilot power 3s with no chicken strips are proof although I only weigh 130lbs.

·
Registered
323 Posts
No offense, but you are poking around, so you will never get the bike to a point where it will exhibit its shortcomings. The motor, if used to its potential, will outperform the suspension.
My 130lb self and my pilot power 3s disagree.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I'm not here to prove anything to you. I'll try not to crash though. That's more important than what my rear tire looks like. The road is not my race track.
That's fine and all, but everyone else is trying to prove why the suspension is weak. For those of us that weigh more and want to ride fast a good suspension is critical.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Let's* you're*

Here's mine :) Fast enough???
Looking good,

Here a my Q3's after a track day

After dragging my toes around I realized I couldn't push my feet far back enough due to the passenger pegs. Removed the pegs and now able to position my feet further back allowing me lean a bit further.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts