Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to say thanks for the forum and what appears to be a great community for FZ09 riders. I've been lurking for the past month, reading all I could while I did pre-purchase research. Finally closed the deal on a niner in red.

Had my first ride yesterday and the bike is a great fit for me. First oil change at 25 miles, working on the break-in. Added an R&G radiator guard and waiting on my fender eliminator. Sorry, no pics until that ugly tail is gone.

I got in the game a bit late as I didn't start riding until age 46. Tried to do it right, MSF then spent my first year slowly learning all I could while working my way up to riding twisties in NC on a ninja 250. The next season I went with an 09 zx6r which I rode for the next 5 years. Sold the 6r in the spring of 2013 and was actually considering giving up riding with a daughter heading for college and the wife always worrying. The thing was, ever since I sold the ninja I would catch myself dreaming I was riding at least a couple times a week. My personality can be quite obsessive, I go all out when I get into something and I really love riding.

My co-workers all ride Harleys and they don't get me. They ride together and do beers, comradery and whatnot. Me, I ride the way George Thorogood drinks... alone. I just take off on my bike and head for the curves. Zenlike feeling, in the moment type of thing. God have I missed it.

So I finally gave in again. I turned 53 last July and the riding position of the FZ is a godsend. Quite happy with my decision, At 150 lbs with full gear, the suspension doesn't seem to be a problem yet. Haven't tested her out aggressively on the tight roads yet but if it's not suitable, I've already got some good plans thanks to researching here.

Anyway, that's my story. Glad to be a member.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Welcome and congratulations. Sounds like we have a lot in common except I have been riding 29 years with a few breaks. The times I didn't have a bike for a few years I dreamed of riding all the time. Most of my friends ride Harleys and wonder what's wrong with me. My wife wasn't too thrilled when I said I wanted to start riding again so she consoled herself with a GSXR 750.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Welcome. And Great 1st Post....:icon_thumright:

Take your time with mods...it'll make it yours......And they each are game changers in their own way.

RED you say --- You are obviously very very very Wise Man - Your research has paid off Big Time.....!!!!!

:blob6::blob6::blob6::blob6::blob6::blob6::blob6::blob6::blob6:

Reactions: chohan

·
Registered
43 Posts
Welcome to the forum !

I started riding when I was about 45. I'm 56 now and I got the FZ-09 about 3 months ago. But before I got the FZ-09 I had not had a bike/riden in about 4 years. I'm in the Maryville TN area so I get to ride to Deals Gap and Robbinsville a lot.

I do zen rides but I also like Deals Gap to see all the other bikes and people, but yes, it gets a little crazy sometimes. :eek: lol !

Reactions: chohan
1 - 7 of 7 Posts