Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I traded my beloved Versys in on a new FZ-09, on testing I loved the smooth linear power, I was hooked, thought it was a nice step up, after living with it for 500 miles not so sure. The smooth power seems to be inconsistent. I am not talking twitchy throttle here am talking drive train. When cold it is smooth throughout the rpm range and gears, after warm up it becomes progressively less smooth especially below 4500 rpm in lower gears, at a constant throttle almost a small drive train hop-hesitation, not terrible but not smooth. Mostly smooths out under acceleration and higher rpms. Chain, clutch throttle are all within specs. Could this be the dreaded cct woes, is there a fix or is it the nature of the beast to not run smooth at constant throttle below 4500 rpm.

·
Registered
165 Posts
It's not CCT. It is mapping.

Where in the world are you? You can get the new map from Yamaha for free in the UK. It cures all that low down roughness.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I notice a little " hunting " when the rpm's are low so it's definitely a mapping issue. I pretty much keep it above 4k all the time. Sounds like that Vcyclenut guy will reflash your ECU for 80 bucks. I haven't done it yet but I'm about to. The off/on throttle transition is my biggest peeve. When bikes are stock I think the emissions regulations affect the driveability. With cars I have often said just because it runs good doesn't mean it will pass emissions and just because it passes emissions doesn't mean it runs good.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
I think you have typed your own answer.
Run it above 4500 rpms, and accelerate hard, simple.

I had a Versys 650 before the MT09, too. The stock Versys suspension is better than the MT's, but the MT is a much, much,much better bike.

·
Registered
957 Posts
So I traded my beloved Versys in on a new FZ-09, on testing I loved the smooth linear power, I was hooked, thought it was a nice step up, after living with it for 500 miles not so sure. The smooth power seems to be inconsistent. I am not talking twitchy throttle here am talking drive train. When cold it is smooth throughout the rpm range and gears, after warm up it becomes progressively less smooth especially below 4500 rpm in lower gears, at a constant throttle almost a small drive train hop-hesitation, not terrible but not smooth. Mostly smooths out under acceleration and higher rpms. Chain, clutch throttle are all within specs. Could this be the dreaded cct woes, is there a fix or is it the nature of the beast to not run smooth at constant throttle below 4500 rpm.
Based on your experience as a former Versys owner, would you recommend it as a good first bike? A friend of mine is looking to buy his first and a Versys is a strong contender.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Where in the world are you? You can get the new map from Yamaha for free in the UK. It cures all that low down roughness.
not UK, third world of eastern Oregon, so unfortunately not an option

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Based on your experience as a former Versys owner, would you recommend it as a good first bike? A friend of mine is looking to buy his first and a Versys is a strong contender.
was not by first bike but put 20K miles with zero issues or problems, seat height is a little higher than the 09 but not a problem for anyone over 5' 8", handled well, comfortable upright seating position, ok on gravel, not a screamer but plenty quick for beginner.

·
Registered
177 Posts

What are the chances of this happening for all of us in North America??!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts