Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all, figured I'd try this posting thing, normally just lurking.

Gonna start up my build thread here for my 2014 Red FZ ... red makes it faster.

Here is my list of mods (not necessarily in order of importance) that I'd like to do, which I will cross out as I post/complete them. Not all of them will happen most likely as I am not a wealthy man, but I digress. Starting this thread I have completed some of what I want to do, and will be posting the pictures over time!

INCOMPLETE
Dynojet Power commander V.
Speigler Braided brake lines, front & rear. (Red)
Replace turn signals front.
Get rid of ugly (IMO) gold color on forks.
Get R&G rad. covers. (& Painted red)
ASV Brake & Clutch levers. (W/ Black adjusters)
Mesh air scoop covers.
Extended rear hugger. (Hopefully it will help with the absurd amount of water that ends up on my back)
Powder coat rearsets black.
Powder coat bars black.
Powder coat wheels red. (Maybe, not 100% sure this will look great, might need a slightly different shade of red)
GPR Steering Stabilizer.
Rear shock upgrade.
Projector headlight upgrade.
Luimoto seat cover in red.
Dynojet autotune unit.
Dynojet quick shifter unit.

COMPLETE

Fender eliminator: PSR Univ. tag bracket & stock extender
Tank Protection: Pro Grip Clear center pad & Tech Spec knee grips
LSL Frame Sliders & Front/Rear Axle Sliders.
K&N Air filter.
Replace turn signals rear: Speedmetal led license plate frame, I also put in a LED relay from Speedmetal.
Full exhaust system: IXIL L3X Hyperlow Black Full System

Enjoy the thread!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
For my fender eliminator I went with an inexpensive option with a PSR universal tag bracket. It is a solid piece of metal and fits perfectly on to the extender once you remove the giant stock fender.

While I was at it I went ahead and bought a Speedmetal LED license plate frame, which has signals/running lights/plate lights/brake lights all in one. I wired everything other than the extra brake light in as at the time I didn't have a splicing clip, I might add this in later but it works perfectly fine without it.

Looks like an angry face to me... must be entertaining to see go down the road!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I apparently pissed someone off, as a while back I woke up at 6 AM one morning to see my seat had been cut open, oh so generously.

I will be getting a Luimoto seat cover to fix this... in the meantime my seat looks like this...

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Shame about the seat... just proof there are jerks everywhere who want to deface anything someone else has.
I've been considering red rims with white stripes or white rims with red/black stripes... still haven't decided!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Shame about the seat... just proof there are jerks everywhere who want to deface anything someone else has.
I've been considering red rims with white stripes or white rims with red/black stripes... still haven't decided!
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/attachm...e-imageuploadedbymo-free1369598796.353810.jpg

Something similar to this street fighter is what I'd probably do (body paint wise), solid red rims with a red front fender might come out bad, so painting the front fender black (like the orange fz's) with a stripe or something in red would probably look decent. or carry the tank stripe scheme down.

Too much to think about! I'll play with it in photoshop though. Also possibly do some plasti-dip demos.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Good deal... def post pics... eager to see the red rims!
Thx for sharing!!!

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
For my fender eliminator I went with an inexpensive option with a PSR universal tag bracket. It is a solid piece of metal and fits perfectly on to the extender once you remove the giant stock fender.

While I was at it I went ahead and bought a Speedmetal LED license plate frame, which has signals/running lights/plate lights/brake lights all in one. I wired everything other than the extra brake light in as at the time I didn't have a splicing clip, I might add this in later but it works perfectly fine without it.

Looks like an angry face to me... must be entertaining to see go down the road!
Can U take a Daytime pic of the rear plate mount....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Here are what the LSL frame sliders look like... LOVE EM

They also work great for those of you who haven't seen them, you just replace the outer puck when you tip over. Or nudge it over with a car by mistake like me... Was in a bit of the rush at the time and it was after a long day at work. Sorry for lighting,wasn't really worried about taking a picture too much at the moment. The only damage I suffered was small scratches on the stator cover.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tried some cleaning product I hadn't before when I gave the FZ it's first bath. S100, some people have had the same bad experience I had with this product.

This happened following the directions from S100 themselves to the 'T'. It ate the paint off of every bolt it got on, my levers have corroded spots on them, the radiator cap as you can see is messed up and it ate at a bunch of different black parts on the bike. I contacted them and they can't do anything for me of course... To be expected I guess. But at least I can tell people about my experience.

I will be re-painting these bolts eventually. unless I can find a bolt kit for the bike... (Help anyone?)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Tried some cleaning product I hadn't before when I gave the FZ it's first bath. S100, some people have had the same bad experience I had with this product.

This happened following the directions from S100 themselves to the 'T'. It ate the paint off of every bolt it got on, my levers have corroded spots on them, the radiator cap as you can see is messed up and it ate at a bunch of different black parts on the bike. I contacted them and they can't do anything for me of course... To be expected I guess. But at least I can tell people about my experience.

I will be re-painting these bolts eventually. unless I can find a bolt kit for the bike... (Help anyone?)
Wow that is insane! I would be hounding these guys about some sort of compensation, how do you sell a "high quality" brand of cycle care products that damages bike? Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@MoFZio

Will be getting the mock up done in the next few weeks, I'll post pics for sure!

Everyone is liking the idea so hope it will turn out well!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here are some pics of my tank protectors, since I don't think carbon fiber would look good on a red fz, I went with a clear center pad from Progrip. I've had them on other bikes before and they don't discolor over time. Don't have a pic of it offhand but it's just a clear pad, nothing special.

For the sides I used Tech Spec knee grips, I love the contrast on the tank and the functionality of them. I am 6'0 tall and for my riding position the sides of me knees are right on the pad, I also wear jeans (bad me :mad:) which aren't exactly renowned for friction. So on a slippery tank around a nice corner (if you can find one in Florida) they work awesome. Easy to install and if you ever plan on tracking the FZ, one of the most inexpensive & functional mods you can make.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've heard the same issues with S100. Therefore I've avoided it. Sorry to see the damage.
Wish I had at the time! My boss and a co-worker use it on their Harley's... which enough said. JK, But I guess it just works better on chrome, or works normal.

I'm using VP Racing wash now and finish up with a wipe down of Biker Spirits Polish (The pink can stuff) which both work amazingly.

·
Registered
355 Posts
There are FZ09-specific bolt kits out there, but I can't recall where I saw them.

Google is your friend.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts

Sorry to hear about the S100...I never used it on the painted parts..just exposed metal and plastic parts..mostly the underside and wheels/ I will keep an eye out...got some Simply Green aircraft cleaner liquid in the mail- hope that works better.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Light tech makes bolt kits for the fz

1 - 20 of 24 Posts