Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I'm not the only one who lives in/near the mountains and rides the narrow twisties like the one in this picture. Do you do anything differently when you
re on a narrow road?
I find that luckily these roads get a lot less traffic (which makes them more fun) but unluckily they get the 2 worst kinds of traffic - 1. Locals who believe no one else ever drives on the road and 2. Tourists who don't know better and are trying to pull their rented 500ft long trailer up a 10% grade with hairpin switchbacks. My biggest fear is having someone in a truck/trailer come around one of the blind corners on my side of the road. This actually happened to a coworker and he spent 2 months in the hospital recovering.

IMG_20200728_161554.jpg

·
Registered
253 Posts
I know I'm not the only one who lives in/near the mountains and rides the narrow twisties like the one in this picture. Do you do anything differently when you
re on a narrow road?
I find that luckily these roads get a lot less traffic (which makes them more fun) but unluckily they get the 2 worst kinds of traffic - 1. Locals who believe no one else ever drives on the road and 2. Tourists who don't know better and are trying to pull their rented 500ft long trailer up a 10% grade with hairpin switchbacks. My biggest fear is having someone in a truck/trailer come around one of the blind corners on my side of the road. This actually happened to a coworker and he spent 2 months in the hospital recovering.
Roads like that scare me for exactly the same reasons you listed, I have almost become a hood ornament on more than a few occasions. A lot of those roads don't have a center line and are barely 1.5 lanes wide anyway.
If I come to a section like that, I try to stay close to the fog line and ride sane while trying to anticipate someone coming around the corner.
Reminds me of this video. :oops:

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do the same - slow down and ride much closer to my edge of the road than I normally would. Another thing I try to do is to keep my eyes looking way ahead - some times you can see a section of road further ahead across the valley. If you can then you can see if there are other cars approaching before you get to the blind corners leading on to that section of road.
I've also started honking my horn as I approach and round the blind corners - not sure if it would help but....maybe?

In the video you posted I'd say that the MC is at fault - they were clearly on the 'left' side of center, even if there is no line on the road. Almost looks like they could have had time to go around but fixated on the truck and then drove into it, there is plenty of room for the bike on the right side of the truck.

·
Registered
253 Posts
In the video you posted I'd say that the MC is at fault - they were clearly on the 'left' side of center, even if there is no line on the road.
Absolutely, the bike was at fault. What I was trying to show was the narrowness of the roads. In the beginning of the video when they first start riding, I thought it was a single-lane one-way road, very narrow and no oncoming traffic.

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
Ha! Narrow roads?
That is what most of ours are like, maybe a little wider in places, but not much. We don't have any multilane intercity roads.
You quickly learn to be very careful on tight/blind corners. especially in the more feral parts of the country.
On the other hand, no ride becomes boring. You can find always interesting routes.

Reactions: GreatHolio

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Absolutely, the bike was at fault. What I was trying to show was the narrowness of the roads. In the beginning of the video when they first start riding, I thought it was a single-lane one-way road, very narrow and no oncoming traffic.
Got ya - yeah I've ridden a lot of roads that are about like the one in the video (or the one in the background on my picture). About wide enough for 2 normal size cars to squeeze past, with no center line. There are a bunch that are even narrower....I remember my first bike 'rally' the leader took everyone on nacimiento-fergusson road. That road is barely 1 lane wide for most of it and has 2 way traffic. The guy in front of me actually crashed about 1/2 down the steep part at the end near the coast. Luckily he was ok.

Reactions: betoney

·
Registered
277 Posts
I personally try to stay as far outside of the turns that gives me the most visibility without getting too close to debris near the edges of the lane.

It helps if you have COM devices with friends ahead of you too, but that's a luxury.

Other things I do are just go up and back down sections I know are clear. But still stay vigilant.

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ha! Narrow roads?
That is what most of ours are like, maybe a little wider in places, but not much. We don't have any multilane intercity roads.
You quickly learn to be very careful on tight/blind corners. especially in the more feral parts of the country.
On the other hand, no ride becomes boring. You can find always interesting routes.
I suspect if all your roads are this wide then people tend to stay on their own side for the most part....?

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
I suspect if all your roads are this wide then people tend to stay on their own side for the most part....?
Yeah, nah. Not in the feral areas. They think all the road is theirs. But on the busier roads they mostly do.

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
Trail brake your ass off.
Yes and keep hard left and late apex on righthanders. (We drive on the left)
Centred in the lane and late apex for for lefthanders. It gives you maximum visibilty.
I've survived.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Nightmare incident.
Looking at the throttle and hand positions, the rider hast lost control on a bumpy,wavy section of road and the handlebars appear to be starting to shake. He did not have sufficient control to manoever to either side of the truck. Of course, applying the brakes made the bike stand up and head for the truck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts