Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:mad:

Rode my FZ09 into work today, cos its nice weather and a Fri.. Just parked it and i heard a hissing.. effin' nail in the tire.

Is it possible to plug motorcycle tires? Well i know it is, cos they do it in England (where I'm originally from) however the dealer i called here said they wouldn't do it...

Bike has less than 1000 miles on the clock.... not a good day.

·
Registered
238 Posts
You'll get recommendations for and against plugging (mostly against). I plugged my bias ply tire on my SRX600 several months ago (although only about 700 miles) and I have no intention of replacing it. I've plugged probably a dozen car tires over the last 40 years or so and have never had an issue with any of them. On the FZ-09 where I will be taking it to the track, I likely would replace it before going but for my normal riding I would be OK with a plug for myself.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Is it possible to plug motorcycle tires? Well i know it is, cos they do it in England (where I'm originally from) however the dealer i called here said they wouldn't do it...
It's a liability thing. Most moto shops will not repair/plug a tire.

Depends where the nail punctured the tire, just pick up a tire plug kit from any auto parts store.
This.

Every puncture is different. It depends on the size/shape of the offending object lodged in the tire and the condition of the tire.

Sometimes an object will go in straight creating a nice, clean round hole through a thick part of the tread... making a plug repair easier and more reliable.

Other times the object will enter at an angle, or it's more of a gash than a round hole, or in a shallow section of tread... making a plug repair more problematic and less reliable.

You never really know until you remove the object and attempt the repair.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
they wouldn't do it because if it failed somehow, they'd be liable. you can do it yourself, or take the bike to any car garage and give the mechanic a couple of bucks and he'll plug it for you.

i've put countless miles on plugged tires and never had one fail. i think at one point years ago in my urban commuting career i had six or seven plugs in a single rear tire. so much debris on the streets that getting a puncture's inevitable.

to plug or not to plug.....condom or no condom? it's up to you.

i wouldn't feel comfortable plugging a sidewall though. never had to worry about that.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
or take the bike to any car garage and give the mechanic a couple of bucks and he'll plug it for you.
If the tire is flat (which it probably is by now if you could hear hissing), I would not recommend riding it to a car garage to get it plugged.

Do you have AAA or any road side assistance membership? They can send a guy to your work who will no doubt have plugs AND air to reinflate it once repaired.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I trust my life to my tires, how about you? Buying a new tire is a hard pill to swallow, but loved ones dealing with my death is another issue altogether.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I trust my life to my tires, how about you? Buying a new tire is a hard pill to swallow, but loved ones dealing with my death is another issue altogether.
A tad dramatic, but I get what you're saying.

Let me ask you this: if you're out and about riding and happen to get a flat, do you call a tow truck? ...or do you plug the tire so you can ride the bike to go get a new tire?

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
OK, when you plug a tire, you have to wallow out the hole. So, when the plug fails, the tire goes flat in a very rapid fashion. It would be a bummer if that happens when you go into a corner hot.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
OK, when you plug a tire, you have to wallow out the hole. So, when the plug fails, the tire goes flat in a very rapid fashion. It would be a bummer if that happens when you go into a corner hot.
isn't it pretty much the same thing if you pick up a nail in the same hot turn?...or run through some hard to see oil, or sand on the road? In all seriousness, if you happen to pick up a puncture in your travels, I'll buy your tire for cheap. I might be a little wreckless, but I really don't think its as big a hazard as you represent it to be, in light of all the crazy stuff we do on the bikes every day.

·
Registered
232 Posts
car or atv tire no problem.. bike maybe depending on the hole there is a patch called a uni-seal it is a patch and plug together and must be installed from the inside of the tire so it needs to be broke from the rim the plug is pulled through the hole from the inside and the patch then pulls tight against the tire making a full seal inside the tire and the hole and the air pressure keeps it tight plus the glue this is the only one i would try//

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
OK, when you plug a tire, you have to wallow out the hole. So, if the plug fails, the tire goes flat in a very rapid fashion. It would be a bummer if that happens when you go into a corner hot.
Fixed that for you

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I can do a good job sliding a bike on predictable tires. I have not had a tire rupture from road hazzards in fourty years. I have had plugs fail in automobiles. That is all the proof I need. I have had a defective new Dunlop once, that gyrated wildly on several wheelies. One of the bands was misplaced during manufacturing, they promptly replaced it and sent it to the manufacturer.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I think we might be talking apples and oranges here? Doug and other plug-haters: are you concerned about (A) the plug coming out?...or (B) the tire grenading because of being structurally compromised?

If (B), then I agree, no product will alleviate your concern, although I think it is a far fetched scenario.

If (A), then I would agree with you about these types of plugs (sticky ropes)

these suck, and I used to use them, and I've had them come out, on my bike too.

---BUUUT---
what about these:

they are actually quite ingenious...so long as its a clean small puncture, the hole gets reamed (typical), and a small tube gets inserted through the hole. The mushroom head gets compressed and forced through the tube, as well as the stem of the plug, and then the tube is removed. Now you have a mushroom head sitting on the inside of the tire with absolutely no way that it can be bushed back out. The size of the stem is such that when in place, it still is compressed and wedged in the too-small hole. The stem is cut flush. I can't see how that system will randomly fail in a hot turn, also keep in mind there is about 20lbs pushing on the head from air pressure, not to mention the centrifugal force as the tire is rolling.

OK, thats my best shot at trying to convert you guys.
That product is from "Stop & Go", btw.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
^^ that is exactly what I just purchased from Amazon.

Amazon.com: Stop & Go International Tubeless Tire Plugger with CO2 1001: Automotive

When I lived in England, they use to remove the tire, and do a similar thing to the mushroom, but from the inside.. However, I do not have the tools to remove a tire. My local bike dealer in Naples, where i only bought the bike from 3 months ago, said they'll charge me $100 to replace the tire labor only !!!! gee thanks fellas. Look after your customers, why don't you.... Even worse, they suggested that I put on a set of Shinko's, cos they're unable to get the OEM Dunlop D214..

I'm not racing the bike, i was hoping for a professional patch installed by people in the know, and with more experience at it than me... Unfortunately no-one here in SW Florida is willing to take it on, so it looks like I'll have to suffice with a DIY.

·
Registered
232 Posts
car or atv tire no problem.. bike maybe depending on the hole there is a patch called a uni-seal it is a patch and plug together and must be installed from the inside of the tire so it needs to be broke from the rim the plug is pulled through the hole from the inside and the patch then pulls tight against the tire making a full seal inside the tire and the hole and the air pressure keeps it tight plus the glue this is the only one i would try//
these are uni-seal and once there are in from the inside they can't come out

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes, this is the sort of repair i was hoping for....

This would give a lot more confidence.. Stupid that the dealers will not carry out this kind of repair.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts