Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I take delivery of the FZ-09 and a day later Yamaha releases a half fairing version that has more fuel capacity, longer travel, & a centerstand.

I'm torn, dealer has my deposit but I keep hearing about different models coming out.

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
To me, if you think about it like that, it's like buying a new computer and six months later, someone comes out with a faster, more memory, bigger hard drive, dual processor twin turbo slipper clutch, fuel injected with a water cooled interpolator. There will always be updates to models as long as long as they are selling well and the company is willing to keep making them.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yea, I'm with Triple. You gotta weigh the fact that newer versions will always improve against the miles you'll have enjoyed on yours by the time the new one is out.

·
Registered
699 Posts
You have to get in at some point though... Next year's bike will almost always be better than the preceding year's bike no matter what make, and model.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
i wouldn't call this a fear, but ...

what if, despite all the hype and spec sheet goodness, the bike ends up being a turd?

i guess we'll find out soon enough.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm assuming you don't live in the states? For some reason I feel like there are no new bikes (especially sport oriented) with center stands.

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
A center stand ads extra weight that you really don't want or need. The New FZ will come with threaded holes in the swingarm for installing lifting spools. All you need then is a decent quality rear stand for rear wheel removal and chain maintenance.

Reactions: younglion

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Trip,
I'm thinking about out on a trip, say 1000 miles or so, and a need for rear wheel maintenance occurs. Theres nothing like a centerstand. I'll pay the 5-8 lb. penalty for the ease of maintenance.....I would even consider going on a diet to make up for it...:>)

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have no fear at all on my purchase. A new version of the FZ is inevitable just as it is with all bikes. If changes such as a bigger motor and/or a fairing, bigger tank etc. will also most likely bring a bigger price tag. If you have fear of buying something cause you want the next best one than you will never get one at all imho. Cant be afraid of modern technical evolution. Thats the way it is.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I take delivery of the FZ-09 and a day later Yamaha releases a half fairing version that has more fuel capacity, longer travel, & a centerstand.

I'm torn, dealer has my deposit but I keep hearing about different models coming out.
Sounds to me like you are after an ADV bike. I would wait because the market is blowing up with ADV bikes. When I first started looking for my next bike, I was looking at the new KTM 1190 Adventure, Kawasaki Versys 1000, or the new V-Strom, and I may still get an Adventure bike, but the appeal of a naked streetfighter has shifted me away from my sportbike, so I bought something that I had no intention of buying but I have no regrets.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes, I also would prefer more gas, a windscreen, centerstand, a rear rack would be nice too. Since I had no bike in az and the fz was the closest to what I wanted I rationalized buying it this way. The fz 09 seems to be a close to perfect roadster the type of standard all-purpose bike that are rare these days with so much specialization and image conscious bike design. If you see the value in that, then buy the fz, you will not be dissapointed. Now most of the things I wanted before purchase dont seem that necessary, or have easy work-arounds, and if I really need something i suspect the aftermarket will eventually provide.

Tom

·
Registered
380 Posts
It just dawned on me, maybe u need to buy a different bike? The FZ-09 is special to me because it was a new model, light weight and powerful, excellent price, a real looker and I love naked bikes. I had 2 sv650's (still have one) and now the 09. But..., my dealer also had a 2012 Ninja 1000 (upright model, not the ZX 10) and he was asking the same price as the 09! 7499 + F&S, DMV, Tax, etc.
If price matters, look around. Maybe you can find a similar deal on a new leftover with what you want. Just my 2 cents worth ...

·
Registered
74 Posts
They probably will but the downside is new higher price. Since the fz09 is selling out and Yamaha doing double production as the misjudge the demand and market conditions.
Do consider yourself lucky to get in on the cheap price.
I just hope Yamaha doesn't let it go to their heads and start pricing it like Ducati. Only reason people are buying is the price, price, price. I seriously doubt people will buy it at triumph STR $10k price. It would sit like the fz08 and fz1

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
You're nightmare came true today...as I just saw a sneak peak pic in a magazine of the full faired sportbike FZ-09. It's likely to cost $1000 more than the naked one. For me....I still go for the naked bikes...even if the suspension is kinda crap.

·
Registered
380 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
They probably will but the downside is new higher price. Since the fz09 is selling out and Yamaha doing double production as the misjudge the demand and market conditions.
Do consider yourself lucky to get in on the cheap price.
I just hope Yamaha doesn't let it go to their heads and start pricing it like Ducati. Only reason people are buying is the price, price, price. I seriously doubt people will buy it at triumph STR $10k price. It would sit like the fz08 and fz1
This is the same as I have read and heard. Yamaha dramatically underestimated the demand for the FZ-09 and is increasing the production rate. Expecting substantial changes in the near future is likely to go unrewarded; Yamaha has a winner.

Good point about the price. Yamaha would lose a lot of sales if it let the price move upwards too much. Sure, some would still continue to make the purchase. Buyers like myself, who stretched a bit on maximum price because the FZ-09 represented a lot more performance and perceived value compared to motorcycles costing $1,500 or so less, might end up out of the picture.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Paulibiker, Do you own a flat screen TV? Bet you wish you would have waited when the bigger screens came out for less money (many of us did I am sure). Bikes are a little different but the feeling is the same. When you can afford to pull the trigger on a bike, do it then. Do it with the best choice you have researched for what you want and what you get for your money (new or used). If you wait past that point, you are just not committed to riding a bike and will have to remain at the sidelines till you are ready. Good luck,

Reactions: Niner

·
Registered
663 Posts
Doug...I'm in the same boat. A guys needs a whole stable of bikes. Most my buddies ride ADV bikes because we have so many crummy (and gravel) roads up here. I like a naked standard the best as that what I rode for 20 years. Come spring, I will have to just get one. I hope to do some test rides in the spring when the snow goes away, and make a choice.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts