Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Stock

IMG491.jpg

I am retired and was not looking forward to winter with no project to work on so as soon one of the local dealers got an FZ-09 in I bought one. I road it home (21 miles) and began tearing into it. This is what I have done so far.

CREE LED Headlight Bulb Installed

Constructed Windshield Mount
This was a nightmare to design but I am very happy with the results.
The windshield was an old one in my pile of parts in the basement.
Anyone know what it was originally for? It is a Cee Bailey.
It might be 20 years old so it could have been for a lot of bikes I had.
It would be handy to know just in case I ever have to replace it.

IMG516.jpg IMG509.jpg

Needed to be more sturdy so added these inside the front cowl.
IMG527.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Constructed a Phone/GPS Mount
Bought the spring loaded end.
Cut the ball end off of an old car mount and then center drilled it..
Made an arm and drilled and tapped it to accept the ball end.
IMG567.jpg

Hand Guards
Made from aluminum grain scoops. Cut the handles off, reshaped and polished and made brackets to attach.
IMG565.jpg IMG571.jpg

Progrip Handlebar Grips
These are actually dirt bike grips so a little cutting is in order but the feel great. I have used these same grips on all my bikes for the last 20 years.

Bar End Mirrors
I like wide angle bar end mirrors and was also planning to use the stock mirror mounting points for mounting my speakers. Actually these were a big pain in the ass because of Yamahas different way of mounting bar end weights. I used the mirror part only from an old pair I had laying around and had to make all the rest.

Speaker Mounts made and mounted speakers.

12 Volt Outlet brackets mounted and wired into fuse panel so will not be active unless key is on.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I have used the same Pro Grips Superbike gel grips for 20 years. They are my favorite street grip, and they are getting hard to find. I dug through my attic to find these.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Radio/MP3 Player Mount constructed and painted. Mounted the Radio control box using Velcro. There wasn’t any room anywhere for the damn amp. The amp box itself is about 4 x 5 x 2 inches. This by itself wasn’t so bad but in addition it had water proof connectors that stuck straight out on both sides making it about 10 inches long….more mods needed.
I took it apart and noticed the aluminum box could be about 3/8 inch thinner so the first thing I did was cut it in two and sliced 3/8 out of it and then welded it back together. This was my first try at welding aluminum with my new TIG.
The first side looked like shit even if it was a solid weld. The second side looked way way better. TIG welding is like trying to pat your head while rubbing your belly and tap dancing on one foot at the same time…hehe. For me, if I am not able to sit down it is easier to use the finger trigger rather than the foot control that way I can forget about the tap dancing on one foot….hehe
Next I cut those huge water proof connectors off and wired in some smaller ones that allowed the wires to protrude out the ends of the amp so that they could make a sharp turn. Wired everything up, turned it on, and nothing…..well shit. Take it all out again and disassemble. The power lead wire had come unsoldered. Parts of the amp board were done by a robot but all the leads were hand soldered and a shitty job of it too. Ok, re-assemble, turn on…wow it lights up, I tune to a radio station and the graphic equalizer display is moving but no sound. Ok time to call a friend of mine. He was a cell phone tower tech for years and now works in the AT&T offices testing new phones before AT&T will offer them for sale so he knows his shit. Besides that he does 2 things I always overlook…he actually reads the instructions first and is very methodical. The next night when he comes over I turn it on and no power again. What the F***???? We take it apart (getting good at this now…hehe) and he finds that the solder joint in the other end of the power wire in the other connector has broken…ok…solder that back, re-assemble, turn on, now we have power but no sound. Ha, I bet you can guess the next step without me telling you can’t you? hehe Well this unit I bought was made in China and it must have been aimed at teen-age kids on scooters because the speakers have LED different color blinking lights…(60’s disco anyone) Can you imagine riding down the road with a bunch of LEDs blinking in your face? Accident waiting to happen and if they sell enough of these I am sure they are going to get sued…but back to my tail of woe. Each speaker has 4 wires going to it rather than 2. 2 are for those idiot lights. This unit also has a port for a sub-woofer but it only has 2 wires..no lights. The sub-woofers wires are read and black, the speakers wires are red, black, yellow, and blue…so which ones do I really need? Obviously the red and black ones..right? So I had cut those other 2 off. Well thanks to my genius friend he assumes nothing and checks out the other 2…yup you guessed again…how clever you are and how stupid I am…hehe. Why in the hell they would use different color wires for a sub-woofer than speakers I have no idea but that’s what they did. Now re-assemble, turn on and MUSIC. Actually I love this combination of this unit and the good quality 4 inch speakers that I bought separately. I have this same setup on my 2009 BMW F800ST and it puts out 93 db at 3 feet from the speakers which is enough that I can listen clearly even at 75-80 MPH.

IMG568.jpg

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Garage Door Opener
Liftmaster 89max remote.
Remove cover.
Drill tiny hole (very carefully) thru the middle of the large button.
Insert small bolt (2 mm maybe) from the inside going out and tighten with a nut.
I then added a spot of supper glue to quell my paranoid tendencies.
Assemble cover.
I used a small rubber cover from a micro toggle switch to go over the bolt.
Determine exact position required for no interference and drill hole in side cover.
Use JB plastic weld and glue remote down with bolt going thru the hole.
Put side cover back on.
Press button.
I feel a cold draft as garage door opens…press again to close quickly.
IMG534.jpg IMG550.jpg IMG554.jpg

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Frame Slider
Bolts that came with these didn’t fit. I happened to have one that did but after speeding hours and days both online and in stores looking for another one I gave up so I cut the head off of one bolt and the shank off of another one and welded the two together.
Sometimes it is simpler and faster to just go ahead and machine up something rather than try to buy it. In this case I knew they made this bolt also because I had one of the damn things but just could not find another one.

IMG566.jpg IMG572.jpg

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Man that is a lot of work. I have been using Ear, Inc., custom earmold sports monitors for 15 years with iPods. I now use Bluetooth through my Sena and an iPod shuffle in my pocket. I have hearing protection and clear music in my ears as well as intercom and phone to my wife that tags along on her bike behind me. One wire from my ears to my helmet headset is all. No hardware mounted anywhere. Reminds me of my boating days. My hearing is seriously damaged from years of street riding and racing motocross since I was a youth. I wish that I knew then what I know now.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Turn Signal Relay
I replaced this with one that would keep the timing correct with the LEDS lights.

Eastern Beaver Fuse Panel
As the accessory plug only has a 2 amp fuse I used it just to power a relay that powered up a fuse panel. Now I have as much as 30 amps for heated gear, radio, etc.

License Plate Frame with Tail and Brake Lights
I made the necessary bracket to attach to the Shad trunk mounting plate.

Shad 49 Liter Trunk
Yeah, I know, it is a little big even for my taste but this is one quality trunk. You can lock it or leave it unlocked. It removes in about 2 seconds and is so cleverly designed that you can do it blind folded.

Givi 21 Panniers
I have used these on a lot of bikes over the years. Very basic and relatively cheap. I hate side opening bags. When you stuff then full and try to close them you are always pushing shit in one side while more stuff is falling out on the other side. These are top loading.

Tail & Brake Lights
I added these extra lights onto the bags. I had pre-wired my frame with the necessary wires. I may add extra small turn signal lights later but will probably use “blinker genies” rather than having to run more wire is I think I need more turn signal visibility.

Trunk Rack
I have this same rack on my Beemer and like it although so far I have never needed to lash anything on there but who knows what the future may hold so I am ready.

IMG490.jpg IMG493.jpg IMG508.jpg

IMG515.jpg IMG530.jpg

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bike still has 21 miles on it but ready to roll and it looks like we might just get enough of a break next week to actually ride this thing now.

IMG575.jpg

To Do:
Steel Braided Brake Lines
Brake Pads
Suspension?

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Your fabrication skills (and garage organization lol) are way beyond mine. You said it was your first time TIG welding aluminum, but you've done other types of welding before? Is the hard part with Al keeping the temperature in range?

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Your fabrication skills (and garage organization lol) are way beyond mine. You said it was your first time TIG welding aluminum, but you've done other types of welding before? Is the hard part with Al keeping the temperature in range?
I have not done any TIG welding sense I took an evening adult education course in it 3 years ago so am a little rusty.
It isn't the aluminum that is the problem, just the coordination between both hands and one foot doing different things all at the same time.
It requires a delicate touch..at least it does for me. I have been using a DC stick welder for 30 years. That's easy peesy compared to TIG but with TIG you can weld anything.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
NOTE: The only tricky thing about welding aluminum that I am aware of is getting it REALLY clean first.
You should really do the same thing with any metal but with aluminum it is even more critical as you are using about half of your amperage already sucking off the oxidation. That's why it takes a much higher temp to weld alum than steel.
For all my fabrication I use 4130 Chrome Moly steel. You can build most things with it just as light as you could cast the same thing in aluminum. My trunk and saddle bag brackets came in at approximately 4 pounds and you can sit on it...that stuff if strong. When I was doing the tube bending I had to have my BIG neighbor come over to put a hand on the bar...hehe..with me i just hung there bouncing up and down and the damn tubing just smiled at me. (My bender is mounted vertically)

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Man that is a lot of work. I have been using Ear, Inc., custom earmold sports monitors for 15 years with iPods. I now use Bluetooth through my Sena and an iPod shuffle in my pocket. I have hearing protection and clear music in my ears as well as intercom and phone to my wife that tags along on her bike behind me. One wire from my ears to my helmet headset is all. No hardware mounted anywhere. Reminds me of my boating days. My hearing is seriously damaged from years of street riding and racing motocross since I was a youth. I wish that I knew then what I know now.
Yeah, I need hearing aids now. I have tried all kinds of earphones, even custom made ones and the longest i can stand them in is about an hour.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts