Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so it's been about 10 years since I've bought my first road bike (started at 5 on dirt bikes). In the last 10 years I've changed bikes more then once a year. It's the same pattern, I want a bike, I buy it, I modify it to my taste, and then start looking for my next project hehe

Now I love the FZ, really do. But realize as with inline 4s, I tend to go faster then I should to really be able to enjoy the bike. So I'm now tempted to go back to a vtwin, that will make you grin even cruising at 70km/h. On the FZ I really grin when I wheelie or when I'm going way over speed limits...I just don't have self control.

Now I'm looking into the Dorsoduro, but I've read these Aprilias can have issues with the electrical system...I know with Yamaha I'm never worried about reliability or parts availability...

Had a Monster 1100 evo and the engine was just perfect....but it was uncomfortable (I'm 6'1" all legs), extremely high maintenance and expensive to own and dealer was an hour away.

I love the looks of the Moto Guzzi Griso, but don't like the ergos and don't know about the dealerships reputation...

I could go back to basics with a Bonneville and Arrow exhausts...

Or buy lotterie tickets so I can afford 10 bikes at the same time :)

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Addiction....???

WTF are you referring to....???

As long as the Bikes are Red you're ok. :eagerness:

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Keep the FZ.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
i'm a bit envious of those who can do this - i'll be keeping the FZ for a long time but i can't say i won't be tempted to trade it or get something else if the right kind of bike comes a long.

I look occasionally just to torture myself but i can't say i've really found anything i really like. Guzzi V7 or Thruxton would be a nice add but i can't justify 2 bike insurance payments/regular payments.

Nothing, for me at least, meets satisfies what the FZ can do for me - i have a feeling that that notion will get stronger once i get the rear shock replaced this weekend and new shoes/front suspension this winter.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Seems like normal behavior to me. Then again I had eleven bikes between 1995 and 2003. My friend has a Concourse 14 and an NC700X. I wouldn't mind an FJR if I could afford another.

·
Registered
518 Posts
If youre ok taking the loss and want something smaller but like the fxz why not look at the fz07...although it may not work with your height. or go a whole different route and get a 650ish dual sport

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not a fan of most parallele twins its not the same character as vtwins. I had a Versys 650, great little peppy engine but it just didnt have the grin factor. I loved my Scrambler with the arrows exhausts though made you travel in time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Why are you worried about servicing, maintenance, and reliability if your plan is to keep a bike for a year or so and sell it?

Reactions: RichBaker

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why are you worried about servicing, maintenance, and reliability if your plan is to keep a bike for a year or so and sell it?
On the Ducati in 6 months I had warranty issues about 6 times (with dealer an hour away, so usually about 3 hours wasted every time), and outside of that valve adjustments were due every 12000km (about 1000$CDN each time), and I ride 20-25000km a year (so thats 2000$ just for the valves and timing belts). That's why reliability and low maintenance and servicing costs weighs in the equation for me ;)

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Wow. That is a lot of time and money for such an already expensive bike. I have never owned anything but Japanese bikes. And i'm sure you know all they need is standard stuff, that most can do themselves. Oil/filter, carb or throttle body sync, air filter, valve clearance, chain maintenance, etc.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Not a fan of most parallele twins its not the same character as vtwins. I had a Versys 650, great little peppy engine but it just didnt have the grin factor. I loved my Scrambler with the arrows exhausts though made you travel in time.
The FZ 07 has a crank that gives it the power spacing of a V twin, not that of most parallel twins.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah Id have to give it a try the Scrambler had a similar setup and it was a cool little engine. But that Dorsoduro is starting to pull me in like a magnet...

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok FZ9 is for sale now...that Dorsoduro 750 is calling me :) Worse time of year to sell my bike here (because we can't ride in winter), so it probably won't happen before Spring anyways...

·
Registered
12 Posts
The dorsoduro is a nice bike. It's one of my buddies go to bikes. I'm seriously thinking about getting the tuono v4r. Just waiting for a demo to show up at the aprilia dealership. I hear the v4 is an amazing motor.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
I had a 2009 DorsoDuro 750 for a little over a year. In stock form, the front forks needed work to be able to ride a somewhat spirited ride without the front end dive on braking/corner entry. I'm not talking about tracking the bike, I'm talking normal street riding. I bought a set of the Andriana fork cartridges and had Fast Bike Industries install them and it made a world of difference up front. The D.D. was a really fun bike once the suspension got sorted out to some extent, and it had a lot of grunt down low, but I can tell you one thing, on a fun scale of 1-10, the Dorso was 6 or 7.......the FZ09 (once the suspension was squared away and the ECU reflashed) was a TEN! FZ09 is the most fun bike I've ever owned....period....and I've had a bunch!

Reactions: voytek

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ended up trying the dorsudoro yesterday and was a bit disappointed. The FZ is better in every aspect except for the sound in low rpms which sounds just amazing on the Dorsoduro (and wonder how they manage to get that homologated for road use hehe)
I tried the Tuono last year and its probably the meanest sounding bike I ever heard (even more then my 1100evo), but the ergos werent good for my 6'1", 190lbs frame. If ergos were similar to the Fz Id already have one.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
And the funny thing is I tried my gf's gladius 650 after, and the engine felt like it had more pep. The bike is heavier and has 100cc less then the dorsoduro, so just wonder where things went wrong. I love the looks of the dorsoduro but even the Gladius has more character.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
It's definitely a good looking bike. One of the things that made me decide to sell it was that the local Aprilia dealership in the Knoxville area closed up and went out of business. The next two nearest dealers from Knoxville was either Nashville or 100+ miles away in GA.....

·
Registered
730 Posts
Typical for any exotic bike/car/woman.......

Doesnt happen with jap stuff.

On the Ducati in 6 months I had warranty issues about 6 times (with dealer an hour away, so usually about 3 hours wasted every time), and outside of that valve adjustments were due every 12000km (about 1000$CDN each time), and I ride 20-25000km a year (so thats 2000$ just for the valves and timing belts). That's why reliability and low maintenance and servicing costs weighs in the equation for me ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts