Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after having it for a month or so I have been slowly putting some things on it to make it how I like. I have done Graves Eliminator, new levers (black cause the blue didn't match), blue mesh inserts, puig sport windscreen, radiator covers and whatnot. I am going to post the pictures tonight as I work on it during Red Wings intermissions ;) please don't be shy and give me some ideas on other things I should look into.

Obviously ECU and Exhaust work will be done in do time but doing more manageable things right now. Plus I don't want the bike to be out of comish' while during riding season :) suffering through winters not being able to ride it is hard enough.

Pictures will be up shortly!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Looks really good. May want to come up with some sort of protection like a frame slider just in case someone feels like pushing the bike over when you aren't around or accidentally knocks it over. Adjust your suspension, it's the least you can do.

2014 Middleweight Naked-Bike Comparison | Three?s Company | Sport Rider

Look at the suggested suspension settings near the end of the article. It's not great, but it will get you by until you decide on an aftermarket setup.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The silver rad guard looks nice!

Reactions: JDub0813

·
Registered
49 Posts
Looks really good. May want to come up with some sort of protection like a frame slider just in case someone feels like pushing the bike over when you aren't around or accidentally knocks it over. Adjust your suspension, it's the least you can do.

Look at the suggested suspension settings near the end of the article. It's not great, but it will get you by until you decide on an aftermarket setup.
I second using this article as a baseline to set up the suspension. It sets the bike up pretty nicely, then just ride and tweak until you hit on the right setup for you.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Do you think that would be too stiff of a suspension for a guy who only weighs like 180 or so? I just did it and wow my front end was so far away from stiff haha.. Definitely can tell a difference just by sitting on it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Ideally for a 180 lbs rider your looking for a 0.90 spring rate (stock is 0.77 I believe) and for added dampening a heavier weight fork oil. 7.5 wt would be good. The stock suspension won't get there, but it can be dialed in good enough for the "average" rider. Play around with the Sport Rider base settings for a bit to make due. You will either be happy with it or will want to upgrade which the above mentioned data would be suitable. Pick up a ZX10 or ZX6 rear shock and you're all set.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I appreciate the input, that helps out and I feel I will be comfortable with the settings it is at now. I did exactly like the article said for suspension but it said to change ride height to set with 0mm showing above top triple clamp (whatever that means)

·
Registered
239 Posts
I appreciate the input, that helps out and I feel I will be comfortable with the settings it is at now. I did exactly like the article said for suspension but it said to change ride height to set with 0mm showing above top triple clamp (whatever that means)
If you look at the triple clamp and the Fork tubes, 0mm means the top of the fork tube is flush with the top of the triple clamp. No problem, hope you enjoy your new bike :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you look at the triple clamp and the Fork tubes, 0mm means the top of the fork tube is flush with the top of the triple clamp. No problem, hope you enjoy your new bike :)
Hmm I guess I am still a little confused, never really did anything with my old bikes and sleds with suspension. Is it hard to adjust and could you explain a little? If you don't feel like explaining I understand lol.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hmm I guess I am still a little confused, never really did anything with my old bikes and sleds with suspension. Is it hard to adjust and could you explain a little? If you don't feel like explaining I understand lol.
Basically you need a pin style front stand which lifts th front by the frame. Then you remove the wheel and loosen the upper and lower triple clams. Take digital calipers and measure how far you want the fork tubes past the top triple clamp (the calipers are to ensure both forks are equal distance from top of fork to top of triple clamp, this is imperative). Most people mess with this to lower their front end by sliding the tubes farther up (increasing the distance between the top of the forks and the top of the triple clamp) this is measured in mm. Sport rider suggests raising the front as opposed to lowering it (likely due to the brake drive from the soft suspension) I wouldn't suggest messing with it as it won't be a large enough change for most riders to notice.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks to both of you... makes a lot more sense now! I appreciate it guys but yeah as far as going through all that considering I'm not a track kind of person just a normal rider who enjoys the turns and the power, I will probably stick with the easy adjustments for now. Thanks again ryderjay and since1822

·
Registered
239 Posts
Thanks to both of you... makes a lot more sense now! I appreciate it guys but yeah as far as going through all that considering I'm not a track kind of person just a normal rider who enjoys the turns and the power, I will probably stick with the easy adjustments for now. Thanks again ryderjay and since1822
No problem, man. Enjoy the bike and ride safe.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Great looking bike! I think I'm going to have to pickup some of those blue mesh inserts and a silver radiator guard. I recommend the T-Rex frame sliders with white lettering.

Here's what they look like on my bike:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts