Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
High all. Heres some pics of my settup. Cant give a detailed how too as I didnt install them. I braved the cold with temps in the low 30s starting out for 100 miles to get my first service done at Pony Powersports in Columbus. Stopped a couple times on the way as my fingers were on the verge of frostbite. My fancy winter riding gloves, and silk liners not a match for these temps even on secondary roads and so while there, I had them install these for my 100 mile trip home.

I also got some Firstgear heated glove liners, Y cable, controller, and dongle thing to hook to battery. The trip home was sooo much better! My glove liners came unhooked on the way but I just turned the grips up higher and rode the freeway all the way home with only one stop with temps in the low 40s and constant 75 mph. This was a few weeks ago but I just got around to snapping a few photos:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Can you share what they cost and what the dealership charged to install them? I'll likely install mine myself but if it's a super quick (30 min or less) install I might have them do it...

·
Registered
197 Posts
ditto younglion except I won't likely install it myself - I sure wished I could though. The look is clean and simple.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I got these grips on eBay for $79. Install is not that hard. Make sure it's the newest version. You can tell by the control pad which should look like the on in these pics.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can you share what they cost and what the dealership charged to install them? I'll likely install mine myself but if it's a super quick (30 min or less) install I might have them do it...
The grips ran me $49.99 they were on closeout. So I bought them inside the store and then went to the service area and had them add it to my workorder. Now most all of my mods I do myself but I needed these like yesterday because I got a hundred miles to get home without hypothermia or frostbite. A few clicks on the pc and the guy says an hour and a half labor for the grips coming to $123.00. Thats fine with me I say.

It took alot longer than 1 1/2 hours IMO. For the first service plus the grips I was there from approx 1:00 in the afternoon until at east 4:30. The service guy did an outstanding job as far as what I can see. Ive no idea where he hooked it up as far as power but its not on unless the ignition is on. Extreemly happy with them so far. They do get HOT! Much hotter than the pads you install under your current grips which is what I have on my other machine.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How are those grips in terms of vibration absorption?

They are HARD was my first reaction when I got back on the bike so I imagine the vibration is worse than the stock grips. I may get some grip buddys or similar to go over them. Im trying to get used to them. Not really been a problem so far.

Also where the wires come out of the grip, particularly on the throttle side where most movement occurs bothers me a bit. I cant put my hand as snug up against the grip edge like Im used to without the wire being kindve in my way. I altered my style a bit and its all good so far.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd prefer to have the heat control somewhere else (less out of sight while riding, and use that spot for GPS etc.), but hard to say where, the 09 doesn't seem to have a lot of places for stuff.

Maybe down to the left of the key. But I won't ride in the cold enough anyway, just a thought. Or the coffee typing lol.

I gotta say this piece of kit takes a pretty good push on the buttons to get the settings to change. Lets just say youre not gonna change the setting by accident. I prefer it right where I can get to it for adjustments and anywhere near the key wouldnt be good for me as I dont particularly like the location and dont find getting the key into the ignition as easy as it should be. Ive dropped my keys plenty already just trying to get started. No way I want to be messing around down there while Im riding.

As far as GPS. Frankly I dont use it. I settup my Can-am Spyder with the whole deal with the power outlet, ram mount, x-grip, and my phone for the gps... NEVER used it once. Of course its there if I really need it.

The pocket on top of my tankbag in the pics holds my phone and can be propped up for better viewing if I want to use GPS.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, one of those personal preference things. And with the buttons taking as much of a push as you say you don't want it mounted where it will cause a lot of counter steer lol.

Very true. Im pretty happy with it as is as I can actually squeeze the whole unit when I press a button with a finger on both sides... The tech did a brilliant job IMO.

As far as key location, Im thinking Ill like that location even less when I get a flyscreen. Not sure how you get to the ignition with that area covered.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Yep, will have to pick and mount a screen that has enough of a gap to get a gloved hand to the key.

I'm thinking (dreaming? lol) of redoing the whole area. Lower & forward bars, instruments to the right of the key, at the level of the key deck, a headlight 2/3s the size, etc. Maybe. One of those things that requires getting a lot of different bits right.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Oh the one in op's pics IS actually the older 3 button version. I didn't look close enough on my phone. That's why it was on closeout.

This is the newer version http://www.twistedthrottle.com/oxford-heaterz-premium-heated-grips-touring-style
with some updates, better waterproofing sealed electronics, better wires and insulation for durability, better softer grips with choice of touring,sport or adv grips, it has a low voltage battery light and will also auto shut off if voltage is low or it reads noise in electrics and can tell if engine is not running will shut off after a few minutes. So there are some worthwhile updates for the added costs of the newer version.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The older version was the gold standard in heated grips. This is designed for England after all. The updates were probably for the 5% of people that were able to break the old version so they beefed it up a bit and made some changes for those that wanted to go scuba diving with the heated grips. But also to make it tough enough for those that actually abuse their adv type bikes. Well maybe riding in England it can feel like your permanently underwater at times.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Most shops Ive been in dont carry heated grips, period. Thats why I travel 100 miles one way lately. Pony Powersports is the biggest shop BY FAR of any Ive been in. You dont even need an appointment for most service work and can go in and buy your farkles and have them installed with no fuss. Im very happy with the old ones they had in stock although they are not soft and cushy as Id like.

When Foxedupone first posted that they were the new ones I didnt comment because I didnt even know they had new ones out let alone how could I have them already on closeout. LOL!

·
Registered
582 Posts
daltmeyer, you mentioned firstgear glove liners and that they came unplugged. I wondered how they got power? Do you run wires down your sleeves or do you have hires to plug in at the bars. It sounded like you did not get the jacket liner too.

I passed on heated grips ( I have 2 bikes and would have had to had them installed twice). I did get Firstgear jacket liner and glove liners The jacket has the wiring and plugs for the glove liners in little zippered compartments at the end of each sleeve. The wires terminate in the lower pocket on the left where the wireless pickup is held. The glove wiring can be isolated from the jacket liner if you have a dual controller which I opted for that now is velcro'd on top of my master cylinder. The controller is infinitely variable and I do run the gloves less than the liner. Now both bikes have the simple power adapter cable and moving the dual wireless controller is easy. I got the 65 watt jacket liner(they have a 90 watt) and so far half turn on dial seams to cover me well down to 45 degrees. They make pant liners so If I were to get that, my glove liners would go back in line with the jacket liner for one control and the pants would then have the second control. This is my first year with any heated accessory. Love it.

anyway, you have options and your grips are good quality and the Firstgear stuff seems good quality too.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
daltmeyer, you mentioned firstgear glove liners and that they came unplugged. I wondered how they got power? Do you run wires down your sleeves or do you have hires to plug in at the bars. It sounded like you did not get the jacket liner too.

I passed on heated grips ( I have 2 bikes and would have had to had them installed twice). I did get Firstgear jacket liner and glove liners The jacket has the wiring and plugs for the glove liners in little zippered compartments at the end of each sleeve. The wires terminate in the lower pocket on the left where the wireless pickup is held. The glove wiring can be isolated from the jacket liner if you have a dual controller which I opted for that now is velcro'd on top of my master cylinder. The controller is infinitely variable and I do run the gloves less than the liner. Now both bikes have the simple power adapter cable and moving the dual wireless controller is easy. I got the 65 watt jacket liner(they have a 90 watt) and so far half turn on dial seams to cover me well down to 45 degrees. They make pant liners so If I were to get that, my glove liners would go back in line with the jacket liner for one control and the pants would then have the second control. This is my first year with any heated accessory. Love it.

anyway, you have options and your grips are good quality and the Firstgear stuff seems good quality too.

I bought a Y cable to wire the glove liners through my jacket and powered from some dongle hooked to the battery and a single controller I placed in the front pocket of my tank bag. '

The glove liners are my first heated clothing I ever tried and Im still learning how it all works together. I didnt know the Firstgear jacket liner has the wires already in place for the glove liners. Maybe I wouldve bought the jacket liner instead of the Y cable I bought to wire the glove liners through my leather riding jacket. But really I was on a budget and was mostly concerned with my hands.

The wiring is confusing to first timers like me. For instance if I opt to get the jacket liner and want it on its own controller, can I just buy another single controller? And if the answer is yes, will I need another dongle hooked to the battery? Id like to keep the battery free of too many connections.

Another thing is Im not sure how much extra power the fz09 has for heated gear so for now Im just trying to keep my hands warm. If later I find the system can handle more, I might add the jacket liner or whatever so I dont have to layer so much gear to keep the rest of my body warm.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I got the new touring styles for $64 + tax on amazon, took about 2 weeks. I was wondering where to mount the controller... probably going to do the same thing as you. Thank you for the write up.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I bought a Y cable to wire the glove liners through my jacket and powered from some dongle hooked to the battery and a single controller I placed in the front pocket of my tank bag. '

The glove liners are my first heated clothing I ever tried and Im still learning how it all works together. I didnt know the Firstgear jacket liner has the wires already in place for the glove liners. Maybe I wouldve bought the jacket liner instead of the Y cable I bought to wire the glove liners through my leather riding jacket. But really I was on a budget and was mostly concerned with my hands.

The wiring is confusing to first timers like me. For instance if I opt to get the jacket liner and want it on its own controller, can I just buy another single controller? And if the answer is yes, will I need another dongle hooked to the battery? Id like to keep the battery free of too many connections.

Another thing is Im not sure how much extra power the fz09 has for heated gear so for now Im just trying to keep my hands warm. If later I find the system can handle more, I might add the jacket liner or whatever so I dont have to layer so much gear to keep the rest of my body warm.
This will be long winded but might be useful for those thinking of go to heated gear.
This is my first ever heated setup too so was a little confused before I purchased. I think You have a hard wired controller. I believe it goes between your battery dongle and the glove liners so it can control them. If you were to get the liner and no other controller, the glove liners would get their power through the sleeve wires and the controller would regulate the liner and gloves as one unit. If you wanted to get another controller for the jacket liner then one would regulate the gloves and one the jacket. There is a plug that allows you to separate the glove wires from the liner wires in the left liner pocket.

on my setup, I have a fused link wired directly to the battery and it has 1 plug at the end of the wire that is my power plug to my liner (actually the wireless switch held inside the left pocket). Since it is a dual wireless switch, one lead goes to the glove wires and one lead goes to the liner wire. So basically I sit on the bike and plug just 1 hanging down wire from my liner into the one pigtail wired to the battery.

My wireless controller I could put in my pocket but I velcro'd it on the master cylinder. It has two infinitely variable knobs and leds. The dual controller kit includes the dual controller and the dual receiver that goes into the liner pocket. The glove liners and jacket liner are sold without controllers so pretty useless without one. The wireless controller is available in single and dual versions and I think the hard wired version is also offered as a single and dual controller. I think the wireless adds about 40.00 and great if you have more than 1 bike. So my three pieces were 75 glove liners, 125 controller 179 jacket liner. not cheap but well thought out. Power consumption is 11 watts per glove and 65 watts for liner and so far has no impact I can tell on starting power from my battery.

So my early ride in cold goes like this. Put on ski mask, put on liner, zip it up, put on helmet, put on leather jacket, place gloves and liner on bike, roll it outside the garage. Sit on bike, start it. PLUG IN liner pigtail (default is 30% power) remove sleeve wires from sleeve pockets and plug in gloves (no on my hands yet) Roll back my leather sleeves and put on the liners and latch their Velcro band. Fingers already feeling warm. Roll my leather sleeves down and zip a snap them snug. Adjust controller to my favorite settings (half way). put on my gauntlet gloves, Ride off. Takes total 3 minutes or so.

Hope this helps paint a picture of how it all works to anyone thinking about it. I think had the dealer presented all the options you might have opted for something else but you had to get home in a hurry and tight budget and cold at the door. Not sure if you will have to add a second fused pigtail at the battery if you get the liner setup using just another hard wired controller.

It was 36 degrees this morning but It did not matter.

Reactions: daltmeyer
1 - 20 of 33 Posts