Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

My next triple

9K views 44 replies 27 participants last post by  DNFDOUG 
#1 ·
I think I found my next ride... [emoji23]

#3 ·
Are they going to survive....??? The Smart car survived because they're a Division of Mercedes. The jury is still out on this one....

#5 ·
For the same money I'd rather have the FZ09 or FZ07, if forced to choose.....But I'd rather have all three:D

#8 ·
Agree, the Smart car is not that great. I can pound 40 MPG with my Fiesta and got room for 4.

Joking around but that Elio make me thinking. Just to go to work, that would be perfect. Sort of for the rainy days... kind of most of the summer in Florida. LOL Not sure how to fit my Tri-Bike on top of that?

#9 ·
Mid July through mid September 2014 it rained a lot practically every day -- at least 90+% of those days.:(

#11 ·
If you just need an all weather cheap commuting car, this might fit the bill. They really need to come out with more small cars that get great gas milage, and at a good price. There was hope when Ford brought back the Fiesta, but then reality set in when all the dealers did not stock any of the basic low price models. They made the excuse that people didn't want them.

Hey wait a second, I just noticed, they are bringing back the Ford GT in 2017 ?

#17 ·
I have a $1000.00 deposit on an Elio. I'm number 1015 on that list. The fourth version of the car is done and last month the new engine is in it's final stages of testing. Elio already has the old GM plant in Shreveport to build the car. Last time I heard they were liquidating the old plant equipment they won't use....and planning to purchase production line jigs for the Elio.
Production has been set back three or four times already...so the current "promise" is Jan 2016.

They are making progress but it is slow. Elio needs more private investment. The jury is still out whether or not this car will come to fruition. $6800.00 brand new....84 miles per gallon....about 55 hp...seats 3.

#16 ·
Agreed. I purchased a 1998 Civic EX with 220,000 miles in the summer of 2012. My winter and foul weather ride, close to 40 MPG driving solo. Plus many multi-state family trips, usually mid to high 30s MPG loaded with people and stuff. When my daughters are home from college, I get zero MPG since they get the miles!

#15 ·
I would love to be wrong, but I don't think Elio will ever bring a car to market.
When a company is taking public money just to develop a product, that's not a good sign .

#19 ·
I'd rather shut my nuts in a car door than have to drive that thing. However, if it was rear wheel drive, 280+ hp and didn't look like a geo metro had sex with a spyder then we could talk.

#22 ·
So riding a scooter would definitely bruise your ego?

#23 ·
Hell no scooters rock. Two wheels are always cool. Some cooler than others. Vespa not as cool as an Aprilia sr50 or a ruckus. 3 wheels dances a delicate line. The only 3 Wheeler that is worth it are the ones that place performance first. Just my 5 cents.

#26 ·
I hear ya...but the Elio never was a performance concept. It's a commuter that gets 84 mpg. I like performance too...,but I don't need performance for rush hour traffic every day.

#24 ·
There is a market for something like this, but it's peoples attitudes that will have to change if something like this ever becomes common place in North America. If you don't know what I mean, you probably already drive a Dodge Hemi to pick up milk on the way home from your incredibly long 20 minute drive home from work every day.

#27 · (Edited)
How do you spell Performance ?...not just by HP figures.Fuel efficiency,aerodynamics,bang for your buck,ect.
Even though 55 HP seems meeger it's somewhere in the ballpark of 1000 lbs. less than a comparable car,giving it a nice power to weight ratio and when coupled with the standard transmission should prove peppy. I think the 3-wheeled Can-am Spyder is just weird but for some reason find the Elio fun and very Jetson's like.;)BTW the next triple refers to the 3-wheels and the 900cc 3 cylinder motor and like any trailing single wheel 3-wheeler it rails around corners.

#28 ·
Even though 55 HP seems meeger it's somewhere in the ballpark of 1000 lbs
So about on par with the average Harley.

Just for the record I think it's a great idea and I applaud the idea of having plenty of options so everyone is happy. It's just not for me and I don't condemn anyone who wants one. Your money, your life, and it doesn't effect me so whatever floats your boat.

#29 ·
How soon we all forget all those little economy cars from the 70's, 80's and 90's. Remember when you use to see tons of Chevy Chevette's running around. What did those thing have, a whopping 53HP. If it had a automatic transmission it felt more like only 30 HP, lol. But they were cheap, half decent on gas, and you could stuff quite a bit in them for how small they were. Plus maintenance and insurance costs weren't outrageous.

#31 ·
I'd rather have a 'real' car, you know with a body incorperating the wheels, (more interior space to hold stuff) then that trike, but that's just me.

you couldn't go wrong with a Civic, I loved mine, and as nice as my Accord is, it doesn't touch the mpg the Civic got.Accord gets 30 on the highway, Civic got 40.

#32 ·
I think its a great option, my wife doesn't care what she drives and with her job relocating her an additional 20 miles away (about 35 in total one way) and my work being equally far away it makes for a great cheap commuter. I have a cbr250r and with just me on it I only get about 56 mpg's which is a bit lower than I was expecting. This could be a great alternative to driving my truck to and from in the winter as it only averages ~20mpg on the same route.

#34 ·
A lot of what I'm hearing from the naysayers is that the elio is vaporware... I dont know, If I was looking for a dirt cheap car that actually got 80 mpg, I would pick up one of those first gen honda insights and put a reconditioned battery in it ($3500 for the used insight on craigslist + $2000 for the battery, after you send in the old battery and get your deposit back) im not saying an insight is cooler than an elio, but it does have the backing of a major car company. that being said (and if I keep saying this in posts, people are going to start thinking I work for URAL) if I lived somewhere that I needed a mode of transport other than a motorcycle for some part of the year, I would get one of these (used of course): Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Car

#35 ·
......that being said (and if I keep saying this in posts, people are going to start thinking I work for URAL) if I lived somewhere that I needed a mode of transport other than a motorcycle for some part of the year, I would get one of these (used of course): View attachment 13515
If you are going to ride a Ural in the winter, which lots of guys do, all you have to do is a youtube search and you will find a few, lol.

Just make sure you get your hands on a newer version, because the older ones are bad for rusting out. The newer ones have a lot more stainless steel hardware and aren't so prone to rust. There is a Ural dealer a few blocks away from work, and there are a few running around the country side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.