Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Are they going to survive....??? The Smart car survived because they're a Division of Mercedes. The jury is still out on this one....

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure? I bet that thing would be badass with a Busa engine... or even a FZ09 power plan. Who cares about MPG? LOL

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
For the same money I'd rather have the FZ09 or FZ07, if forced to choose.....But I'd rather have all three:D

·
Registered
343 Posts
I worry about paying insurance on my fz-09 , whether to go back to my old ways of no transportation. I took the bus home last night and need to bus it tomorrow to work. Thirty plus years of work and always paid existence money. That looks like a luxury.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Are they going to survive....??? The Smart car survived because they're a Division of Mercedes. The jury is still out on this one....
Smart car is stoopid.Twice as much as an Elio and struggles to squeeze out 40 mpg.
I have a deposit and production is slated in 1 year...we'll see.very cool gear driven OHC motor with a top speed of 109 mph.
They have bought the old Hummer facilities in Shreveport and are retooling.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Agree, the Smart car is not that great. I can pound 40 MPG with my Fiesta and got room for 4.

Joking around but that Elio make me thinking. Just to go to work, that would be perfect. Sort of for the rainy days... kind of most of the summer in Florida. LOL Not sure how to fit my Tri-Bike on top of that?

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Agree, the Smart car is not that great. I can pound 40 MPG with my Fiesta and got room for 4.

Joking around but that Elio make me thinking. Just to go to work, that would be perfect. Sort of for the rainy days... kind of most of the summer in Florida. LOL Not sure how to fit my Tri-Bike on top of that?
Mid July through mid September 2014 it rained a lot practically every day -- at least 90+% of those days.:(

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
If you just need an all weather cheap commuting car, this might fit the bill. They really need to come out with more small cars that get great gas milage, and at a good price. There was hope when Ford brought back the Fiesta, but then reality set in when all the dealers did not stock any of the basic low price models. They made the excuse that people didn't want them.

Hey wait a second, I just noticed, they are bringing back the Ford GT in 2017 ?

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was reading about it just now, they have deposit for 38764 of those shitbox already according to their website!

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
If I were looking for a cheap commuter that was fuel efficient, I'd go with a honda civic hatchback.

Reactions: redeye

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I would love to be wrong, but I don't think Elio will ever bring a car to market.
When a company is taking public money just to develop a product, that's not a good sign .

·
Registered
883 Posts
If I were looking for a cheap commuter that was fuel efficient, I'd go with a honda civic hatchback.
Agreed. I purchased a 1998 Civic EX with 220,000 miles in the summer of 2012. My winter and foul weather ride, close to 40 MPG driving solo. Plus many multi-state family trips, usually mid to high 30s MPG loaded with people and stuff. When my daughters are home from college, I get zero MPG since they get the miles!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I was reading about it just now, they have deposit for 38764 of those shitbox already according to their website!
I have a $1000.00 deposit on an Elio. I'm number 1015 on that list. The fourth version of the car is done and last month the new engine is in it's final stages of testing. Elio already has the old GM plant in Shreveport to build the car. Last time I heard they were liquidating the old plant equipment they won't use....and planning to purchase production line jigs for the Elio.
Production has been set back three or four times already...so the current "promise" is Jan 2016.

They are making progress but it is slow. Elio needs more private investment. The jury is still out whether or not this car will come to fruition. $6800.00 brand new....84 miles per gallon....about 55 hp...seats 3.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I have a $1000.00 deposit on an Elio. I'm number 1015 on that list. The fourth version of the car is done and last month the new engine is in it's final stages of testing. Elio already has the old GM plant in Shreveport to build the car. Last time I heard they were liquidating the old plant equipment they won't use....and planning to purchase production line jigs for the Elio.
Production has been set back three or four times already...so the current "promise" is Jan 2016.

They are making progress but it is slow. Elio needs more private investment. The jury is still out whether or not this car will come to fruition. $6800.00 brand new....84 miles per gallon....about 55 hp...seats 3.
Top speed?

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I'd rather shut my nuts in a car door than have to drive that thing. However, if it was rear wheel drive, 280+ hp and didn't look like a geo metro had sex with a spyder then we could talk.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
I hope they make it...

I like seeing little guys win.

The price tag is small, but my cars never cost more than $3k-$4k anyway... So it is still double what I'd pay for a vehicle.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts