Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Arrived exactly 30 days after ordered, and Corbin requires signature upon delivery (anyone at your delivery address is okay). Fit was very good, but on my bike I could not get the Corbin seat hook to latch, which is explained on their website as a possibility and for which they provide instructions for adjustments. I placed a single washer under their seat latch pair of bolts, and it locked with very little downward pressure on the seat. But I instead went the other route of placing a single washer underneath the Yamaha seat lock PLATE at each corner (below the four Allen head bolts), as it required a firmer, OEM-level of downward pressure on the seat to lock.

With the flat as hell OEM seat, my butt ached after only about 100-125 miles or so, even with periodic, slight shifting of my position while riding, and that was with a couple of brief stops during that distance. On a 296 round-trip first ride on the Corbin yesterday and although I shifted about the seat occasionally during, I experienced no aches at all in the end. The Corbin I would say takes a good inch+ out of your foot-to-ground at stops, but more so because of the raised/curved sides rather than added foam thickness. In other words, while sitting and riding, I did not feel noticeably more raised from the OEM seat height.

But at the same time I just loved how the Corbin keeps you in place upon acceleration as well as in turns! It really keeps you planted, which as you know gives you a better feel of the bike. I also believe the seat design lessens the forward lean compared to the OEM seat, though I'd still recommend side tank grips for those downhill mountain twisties.

As far as the seat material, I went with black leather for the seat surfaces, black matte vinyl for the sides, NO welts on the seams, and blue stitching (appears very subtle) with blue logo on the side. Oh, and weight is approximately 5-lbs more than the stock seat. Yes it's expensive, but for me if it makes my rides considerably more comfortable, I'm getting it!

Shoe White Light Synthetic rubber Window

Vehicle Car Postal scale Gas Automotive exterior

Shoe Comfort Grey Synthetic rubber Outdoor shoe

Tire Automotive tire Product Sleeve Sports equipment

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior Auto part

Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Product Automotive tire

Tire Automotive tire Motorcycle Automotive lighting Hood

I prefer my bag over the passenger seat, rather than behind it, for weight distribution but also so my brake
light is fully visible for drivers of taller vehicles following.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I completely understand having the bag that way for weight distribution but as a truck driver, if I can't see your taillight, I'm too [email protected] close!
True OldSchl. But then again we all know the numbers of bad drivers seemed to have increased noticeably from a decade or so ago. It's to the point every few seconds we witness some a-hole idiot driving recklessly, and/or like he/she is playing GTA rather than a potentially deadly vehicle in real life...! But I also don't ride with a passenger EVER, so it's all good.
Here it is with the bag towards the rear (before I added the aluminum spacers to allow it to clear the pass seat while fwd facing).
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

·
Registered
5 Posts
Had mine for about a month and thought the back being loose was a "feature". Thanks for pointing that out! Also for me street riding wise, the comfort really hasn't changed from stock except for having the bucket which helps me feel more planted.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I can’t tolerate a bucket seat on a motorcycle, especially not a heavy one. I need to be able to move around on the saddle (and use tank grips for motion control). The stock seat on the 2021 (both base and SP) is fairly thin to keep the seat-height low but the thicker, taller Yamaha Comfort Seat for $250 is both comfortable AND good-looking plus I like the extra seat height. I’m very happy with my Comfort Seat and you couldn’t pay me to have a Corbin or a Sargent seat on my bike.

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
I’m very happy with my Comfort Seat and you couldn’t pay me to have a Corbin or a Sargent seat on my bike.
I have to agree, but was it necessary to say it. Congrats MighTee on finding something that puts you in your happy place.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have a Corbin on my FZ07. It's firmer than the Comfort Seat on my FZ09, and the Corbin material isn't as grabby. Those two things mean the Corbin is way easier to move around on. For my 220lbs, the firmer Corbin is more comfy. My 09 Comfort Seat after just 1200-1500 miles is already showing wrinkles from being compressed whereas the Corbin still looks new with 25k miles on it. I've done 16hr days on that seat. I know it's apples to oranges comparing an 07 with an 09, but still. My Corbin has proven itself to be one kickass seat.

That said, though their product is good, Corbin is a major azzhole of a company and will never get another penny out of me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the support ridetofish. No worries though - all opinions and perspectives welcome. For my type of casual riding this Corbin suits me well, and my rides are all the more fun and enjoyable as a result👍!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts