Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,530 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Okay then, very good, nice bike, so where do you live? Own any other bikes? Been riding long? Do you commute, sport ride or do track stuff?
All of us are pretty familiar with the bike itself so I little information about you would be great so whatcha got?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the forum.
Okay then, very good, nice bike, so where do you live? Own any other bikes? Been riding long? Do you commute, sport ride or do track stuff?
All of us are pretty familiar with the bike itself so I little information about you would be great so whatcha got?
Thanks for the welcome. I live in extreme northern California, up next to Oregon. The only other bike I have at the moment is a Harley Street Glide. I got this bike to carve the canyons of hwy 199. It doesn't get any better than that. I've been riding for a few years (40+).

·
Registered
513 Posts
Welcome to the club from one veteran rider to another! There is nothing quite like getting a brand spankin new bike ?. Just a heads up...out of the box most come with chain slack set way too tight so you may want to check that. Enjoy your new ride!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome to the club from one veteran rider to another! There is nothing quite like getting a brand spankin new bike ?. Just a heads up...out of the box most come with chain slack set way too tight so you may want to check that. Enjoy your new ride!
Thank you for the heads up, and the welcome!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I bought my 2018 model in April 2019 and have racked up over 10,000 miles in the last ten months. To put it mildly this bike is an absolute blast to ride, you're going to love it. I don't know what your experience level is with suspension adjustments is but I would recommend to fiddle around with that a bit. I needed to add a little more preload and compression damping to the front forks, over what the factory recommended, also I made some adjustments to the front fork rebound damping but I don't remember if I went up or down with it (I think I increased it a bit). I haven't messed around with the rear shock yet but now that the front seems to be working better (for me) the rear seems a bit harsh. There are lots of aftermarket suspension upgrades out there if you feel like that is the direction you want to go. To me, if you're going to spend money to improve the bike, the suspension is the area where the biggest gains to be made are.

TG

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the advice. I will most likely have to tackle the suspension issue this summer. I understand the factory sets the bike up for someone weighing around 165-170 lbs. With helmet, boots and jacket, I'm much closer to 200.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Theres a penske double clicker for sale in the classifieds. It's a great rear shock. Just an FYI

·
Registered
27 Posts
That black, very nice. Almost regret not getting it. You can tighten up factory suspension and it's works considering. But people say the upgrade is 100% worth it. I'm 170 so it rides ok for a street bike lol

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
2017 and up suspension is "ok" for your weight (with gear). Normal (non aggressive) riding.

2016 and prior, it isn't.

Reactions: MT-09Max

·
Registered
4 Posts
Very good advice regarding chain slack mine was way too tight from the dealer, about 2 fingers wide slack is a good general guide for all road bikes or 25-30mm, I dont why the owners manual states 5 to 15mm

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It has changed a little bit. TST license relocator, Rizoma turn signals, gas cap, Sickspeed horn and MRA windscreen.

·
Registered
283 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts