Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked at the Harley and fixed the FZ horn button to work in a similar way... OK so far

IMG_20140827_114404370.jpg

·
Registered
184 Posts
Rudimentary and ugly...but really cool. :) I struggle to find the horn button too.

That is a cool idea and would be even cooler if executed better. I'd buy one. At a minimum, paint it black.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rudimentary and ugly...but really cool. :) I struggle to find the horn button too.

That is a cool idea and would be even cooler if executed better. I'd buy one. At a minimum, paint it black.
Yes, it's rough...It's a handmade prototype, just to see if it would work. I had some old sheet metal in the garage... I'm pretty sure it could be stamped out with a die cutter for a few cents... sand blasted and coated without any big effort. The only place I could find to attach it is on the clutch lever block... the adjustment would be a big issue. If I like it after using it for a while, it might make it to the next stage? Probably not. Right now, it makes the turn signal easier to use since the horn button is covered;and, the horn (which I don't use very often...) is below the turn signal and large. The OEM design is "awk" at best.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I don't know why they didn't put it at the bottom of the cluster where it's supposed to be, but your solution is definitely a step in the right direction!

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Right now, it makes the turn signal easier to use since the horn button is covered;and, the horn (which I don't use very often...) is below the turn signal and large. The OEM design is "awk" at best.
Yeah, the stock button is awkward.....I find I have to be careful not to beep the horn while using the turn signals with gloves on..I much prefer the controls on my Harley..big buttons and the turn signals are one on each side like they should be..to be fair though, this bike is much more appropriate than my Harley when I'm looking to be a hooligan:eagerness:

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To each his own...
After 3 rides I knew where it was....
Took 3? We all know where it is located... With gloves and an urgent situation it's very easy to hit the turn signal getting to the horn and vice versa... If your thumb slips off the turn signal on a right turn, you end up blowing the horn... Clearly up to you though... If you like the setup, keep it? Practice helps some; good design helps everyone.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Agreed - bad positioning. I'd hunted for the horn button when needed it urgently, but couldn't "find".

No problem locating it when not in a hurry, go figure.

But wouldn't take the drastic step of replacing the controls, I like the indicator switch - lite & easy, compared to the older forceful click/push.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
We shouldn't have to do any of this crazy nonsense. I've already replace the weak and crappy horn, but in an emergency no one should have to "search" for the horn button. Yamaha should be forced to purchase new switchgear units design with the proper layout, so that we could replace the dangerous units we now have. This is like a car manufacture putting the horn button somewhere where you can't find it....unacceptable...and for auto's probably illegal.

I wonder how much a lawsuit might cost Yamaha when someone is injured because the rider couldn't operate/access the horn when needed. Yamaha, are you listening?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Thats a really cool idea. I usually hover my thumb over the horn button while in heavy traffic. Doesn't matter if its a car truck or bike...everyone is a shit ass driver in my town except a select few.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Thats a really cool idea. I usually hover my thumb over the horn button while in heavy traffic. Doesn't matter if its a car truck or bike...everyone is a shit ass driver in my town except a select few.
Same here plus over the flash to pass switch as I use them in tandem for/to prevent those oh shit situations to get their attention.

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
Old post on this one. Open switch gear and swap flash to pass switch wires with horn. Simple solder job and flash lever becomes horn for quick emergency access. Works great.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Old post on this one. Open switch gear and swap flash to pass switch wires with horn. Simple solder job and flash lever becomes horn for quick emergency access. Works great.
Very clever idea. I use the bright flash too often and the horn hardly ever... which probably explains why I couldn't get the horn to work without a turn signal... I still have the original sheet metal mod after a few years and it still works.

·
Banned
413 Posts
F the horn. 1.) I can never find the button quick enough (but I find it no problem when canceling the turn signal). 2.) It's such an embarrassingly wimpy toot.

I'd rather steer around a situation. Too many psychos with guns these days.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I'm with yamfz09, without thinking brake or gas out of a situation... If I replied on the horn instead I would of been taken out many times over. I suppose the horn could be useful in very specific situations but for me those situations would not be an emergency as by the time it's taken to that level I am using evasive maneuvers.

Cool mod tho OP! I love seeing people make things, especially these days where most people can't do jack diddly in way of originality or real craft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts