Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Under acceleration in 3rd gear and up she starts screaming with a very high pitched sound.. I went thru youtube and not one of those videos:confused::confused::confused: had the same sound??? Help???
Lucky

·
Registered
298 Posts
Totally was expecting something different when I opened this thread....lol.

But to respond to what you said, if it is something that you are really concerned about, take the bike back to the dealer, this is a new design, there are bound to be problems. You're definitely covered under warranty if there is an issue.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Picked mine up Saturday, loud gear whine 3rd through sixth. Is yours just 3rd? I was going to start a post to ask the same question, I think it's probably normal. I read the same thing on 1 review, but only 1 review. I would think it would have been mentioned in all or most of the reviews.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My new liquid has the same whining noise starting with third gear. Spending all that money and then having the whining noise is quite disappointing. We are in 2014 technology and still having the noise. hopefully somebody with top end mechanical knowledge can help ease my concern. I am at the point where I don't enjoy it. Is there a solution? I also have a Ducati and the tranny is completely quiet. Understanding mine is not broke in (20miles), will it go away over time? Help!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I'm not sure, but the gear whine seems to have softened with the 1500 kms I've put on my fz so far. When it was new, 6th gear under load was really loud, but now not so much, or so it seems. :dunno:

·
Registered
347 Posts
Yeah I had some whine in mine but it seems to lessen as the miles rack up. I'm not worried unless it stays like that past 800 or so miles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the response. I like everything about the bike but the noise. Third is my worst gear. It is quite I pitch change. Other online forums said it is because the are straight gears vs helical? That why I was hoping a high end tech would respond with some good info. My next move is contacting yamaha directly on Tuesday .

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
From what I understand, the gears are straight cut, and thus make more noise. Oil choice may make a difference, but find out what Yamaha has to say as you plan.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i also thought of changing to full synthetic oil. I wonder going to slightly higher or lower viscosity? Do you still hear the noise with your bike at 1500km? previous reply said it seemed less. With mine I know if it is there or not. Its that loud

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I'm still running mineral oil at 1500 kms... the noise is still there under load, but doesn't seem as loud as before. Looks like we're in for some decent weather by Friday... I'll make a point to pay attention to the gearbox noise and report back.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Mine still does it with a lot of miles on it, but earplugs help. I find the whine helps me keep at a constant speed if I'm trying to, my brain notices if the pitch changes.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I noticed a whistle sound the other day in 6th and at about 70 MPH. I figured this is the start of the zone that every bike has. The one where you never want to get out of. Additional note, Husker said "tranny" and I laughed out loud. 40 years old and it's still funny to me.:cool:

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
My new liquid has the same whining noise starting with third gear. Spending all that money and then having the whining noise is quite disappointing. We are in 2014 technology and still having the noise. hopefully somebody with top end mechanical knowledge can help ease my concern. I am at the point where I don't enjoy it. Is there a solution? I also have a Ducati and the tranny is completely quiet. Understanding mine is not broke in (20miles), will it go away over time? Help!
You mean that 1960 dry clutch that Ducati uses is 2014 technology? Maybe you have a Monster with the wet clutch. I had both a newer Multistrada with a dry clutch and a brand new Hypermotard 796 with a wet clutch.....and believe me neither one came close to "2014 JAPANESE technology.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You mean that 1960 dry clutch that Ducati uses is 2014 technology? Maybe you have a Monster with the wet clutch. I had both a newer Multistrada with a dry clutch and a brand new Hypermotard 796 with a wet clutch.....and believe me neither one came close to "2014 JAPANESE technology.
I have a Ducati with a wet clutch. We are losing the focus of my thread. It's not the clutch. It's an obnoxious whine when shifting into 3rd gear. Very noticeable! I thought with 2014 technology that these problems would be worked out by now. I was using the Ducati and every other motorcycle I have owned, that it doesn't need to happen. I was looking for some help as will I have to live with it or is there some solution that people smarter than me have found. Something to quiet it down to make the bike more enjoyable to ride instead of putting ear plugs in on a new bike as a previous member said he does. That's what I meant by 2014 technology.
Thanks!

·
Registered
76 Posts
One quick Google search provided me with the following link: Straight cut gears vs helical | Automotive Thinker - Discussing the finer points of automobiles

Though it does not explicitly mention motorcycles, I'm sure the logic behind it is the same. My take on the article, straight cut gears are used for additional 'thrust' (as the article refers to it) and transmission longevity. Maybe with the amount of torque the engine produces Yamaha used straight cut gears to save expense when it came to transmission design. Seems easier to make gears than it does to make a whole transmission capable of handling the extra torque. The article also mentions the possibility of weight savings, and if Yamaha 'cheated' by making a small tank, it doesn't seem so far fetched that they would save weight in other areas as well.

As for the noise, you'll get used to it. My WRX had straight cut gears and after a while I hardly noticed it anymore. The enjoyment of the bike should take your mind off the sound, and if it doesn't I think you're doing something wrong.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
One quick Google search provided me with the following link: Straight cut gears vs helical | Automotive Thinker - Discussing the finer points of automobiles

Though it does not explicitly mention motorcycles, I'm sure the logic behind it is the same. My take on the article, straight cut gears are used for additional 'thrust' (as the article refers to it) and transmission longevity. Maybe with the amount of torque the engine produces Yamaha used straight cut gears to save expense when it came to transmission design.
i'm not aware of any motorcycles that use helical gears in their transmissions, every one i've seen uses straight cut gears. it's a packaging issue, even on bikes which are basically 2-wheeled cars (honda gold wing). on a bike there simply isn't room (or rather, it's not desirable to make the room) for a massive transmission case which would be necessary to handle the side thrust loads created by helical gears. so keep it small, simple, inexpensive and easy to manufacture by using straight cut gears. gear whine is just what we put up with so bikes don't end up twice as wide and 150 pounds heavier than necessary.

·
Registered
76 Posts
i'm not aware of any motorcycles that use helical gears in their transmissions, every one i've seen uses straight cut gears. it's a packaging issue, even on bikes which are basically 2-wheeled cars (honda gold wing). on a bike there simply isn't room (or rather, it's not desirable to make the room) for a massive transmission case which would be necessary to handle the side thrust loads created by helical gears. so keep it small, simple, inexpensive and easy to manufacture by using straight cut gears. gear whine is just what we put up with so bikes don't end up twice as wide and 150 pounds heavier than necessary.
I don't know much about motorcycle transmissions, hence my google search. But either way, I've always thought the whine from straight cut gears sounded cool. Maybe I just watch too many car videos on YouTube.

Thanks for the info though.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts