Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Finally I got out on my bike... last night I went for a 70km solo break-in ride, then picked up my girlfriend for another short 10km ride before it got too cold. Awesome! Had a blast!

Today my girlfriend, my neighbour and I went for a nice long ride. What a great day. I spent the whole day riding in STD mode and honestly didn't even think about it, until on the way home I thought "Hey, now that I'm used to this thing I should try A mode.". HOLY SHIT what a difference! I thought it was fun in STD mode, but WOW A mode is absolutely bananas fun! Breathe on the throttle in 1st and it wheelies, sneeze on it in 2nd and it wheelies! I love this bike! Earlier in the day I pulled a really nice 4th gear wheelie over a crest up a hill. I so missed doing that... used to do it all the time way back on my old 929.

So all told I clocked in about 310km this weekend. I'll do an oil change tomorrow and carry on. :)

Here are a few photos from the day. My FZ, girlfriend's Fireblade and neighbour's SMR recently converted into a DukeR.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Me rikey. Bike looks great dave. Great to hear your lovin it. Makes the wait for me that much more painful. Should have mine out of the box this week. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
I've been riding a long time, and honestly, my buddies ER6N wheelies easier than this bike... I still don't understand how people wheelie it so easy...

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
I mean, I'm not out trying to, but I don't try on my buddies lil 650 either. His gladly points to the sky, I'd really have to try on the 09. Maybe heavier riders, with the stock suspension settings?

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Lots more fun than that D8 dozer.

Less dust and a much smoother ride too.

I like the position of the FZ in the pics.... in front of the crotch rockets!!!!!!

Way to go Dave!

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"That's just 'cause you know the directions...", says my girlfriend :)

You guys must not have a right arm. Some kind of left arm only bike setup? All I do is turn the throttle. :p I'm 185lbs with fully Stoltec'd suspension.

Did an oil change this morning and heading out again today, in about 10 minutes :)

·
Registered
657 Posts
Finally getting it out! Nice weekend for it.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
For those that haven't had much in the way of 09 wheelies, have you tried max acceleration? STD mode, rolling in 2nd gear at 4k RPM, sitting up. Don't whack the throttle but give it full gas and RPM to the top of 3rd gear. You'll need a closed course. If you aren't having to reduce throttle several times to prevent looping you have a defective 09, take back to the dealer lol.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I don't get it either. I wheelied it within 100m of my house on day 1.

Here are some pictures from today's ride. Slightly different crew, our friends Krista and Steve on the R1 and Adventure 1290 respectively.

The Motul 5100 semi-synth that I put in this morning makes for a slicker tranny and smoother clutch. I'm using it for the 300-1600km interval and then I'm going back to Amsoil.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The R1 and Fireblade kill me on top speed, mainly because the girls are crazy. LOL... Off the line the FZ is good, but as soon as the litre bikes get up to about 7000rpm they're already hitting 100hp, see ya later. I can wheelie though, they can't. hahaha... :)

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
My buddy has an 07 r1 and I can be in third at wide open throttle, and he will downshift to second and wheelie past my like I am standing still. His 1st gear goes past 80mph. Stock gearing.

On a side note I have had several 600cc supersports and I could lean over the handle bars in 1st from a 10mph roll, and go WOT and never lift the front wheel. Even shifting hard into second, no wheelie. It is the torque that makes the wheelies. The fz-09 on the other hand will wheelie its ass off in 1st and 2nd if you twist the throttle all the way back (WOT).

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
lol good point.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts