Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The day started early, up at 4 a.m. full of excitement for what the day may hold.
We arrived at 7 a.m., & began the unload & set-up.
First up was registration. I funked that right up! I just grabbed the first sheet and started filling it out...only to realize each sheet was assigned to designated rider. Oops!
Then it was on to tech. Which I failed, only due passenger pegs not being strapped. This was an easy fix. Shweew!

Rider's meeting was entertaining. They had jokes! Then it was off to the 1st classroom session.

First session on track was at a slow pace since I was in the virgin group. Our duckies couldn't seem to stay in a row. I was 3rd behind coach & had a hard time learning the lines. During this session I got to see my 1st rider laying in the grass.

Back to class before we could start our 2nd session on track. I left at 1st call this time to try and get behind the coach....didn't happen. I was 2nd this time. Uneventful.
Now it's time to learn body positioning. I was doing it all wrong .... for the bike they had me on. It was a bit of a challenge getting them to understand I didn't have clip-ons. They kept saying "elbows down" Once I explained to them what type bike I was on they said 'oh yeah, yours is completely different'!

On to the 3rd session, where they cut us loose. I pulled my coach aside & asked not to be turned loose just yet. I explained to him that I hadn't had a clear line on him yet and wanted to work on learning the lines of the track. He was extremely helpful. This was the 1st time that I really had fun. By the end of the session I found myself making mistakes and pitted 2 laps early. Better safe then sorry.
Now time for lunch.

1st session after lunch & 1st time being cut loose. Most fun I've had on a motorcycle in my life!
Next session out was even better then the last. Smooth & getting more comfortable with the track. Like I said before, I was here to learn and better myself not to race. Wish everyone had that attitude in Novice. I got better as the day continued. Can't wait to do it again!

The video is 3 full laps from 3 different sessions in 3 different views.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Being able to totally cut loose on a motorcycle in a way you can only do on a closed course totally changes your view of street riding. It loses a good bit of its fun. Now you see why. You look like you had a blast!

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Track days are amazing. They give you the chance to focus on riding without worrying about soccer mom riding minivan, screaming at their kids in the back seat while texting! LOL

What I like about novice group to is that you can team up with an instructor for few laps and learn a lot quick. Good video on the tail of your bike will give you a chance to lokk at your mistake and improve. Mine wasn't working so no video... :(

·
Registered
98 Posts
Glad you enjoyed it! Ive done three of them so far now and they are a blast! I know what you mean about the attitude of SOME of the novice guys. Check out my videos just type Davidls1z28 in youtube. One tip that helped me out that I didnt figure out until later was to scoot back on the seat. In both our video looking towards the knees you can notice how our knees flare out when making a right hand turn. If you slide back on the seat you can keep your knee tucked tightly to the gas tank. This small adjustment helped me tons on my last track day. Unfortunatly i forgot the GoPro for that day.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It made up my mind on suspension for sure. Doing rear shock swap this week then I will be buying more tires and track time. It was my first but it is a must. I bonded more with the bike in that 1 day than the 3k miles of street so far.

·
Registered
98 Posts
It made up my mind on suspension for sure. Doing rear shock swap this week then I will be buying more tires and track time. It was my first but it is a must. I bonded more with the bike in that 1 day than the 3k miles of street so far.
After my first one I instantly swapped over to new front springs from Stoltec and they made a huge difference.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Good times!

I like the footage, nice to have different angles.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The day started early, up at 4 a.m. full of excitement for what the day may hold.
We arrived at 7 a.m., & began the unload & set-up.
First up was registration. I funked that right up! I just grabbed the first sheet and started filling it out...only to realize each sheet was assigned to designated rider. Oops!
Then it was on to tech. Which I failed, only due passenger pegs not being strapped. This was an easy fix. Shweew!

Rider's meeting was entertaining. They had jokes! Then it was off to the 1st classroom session.

First session on track was at a slow pace since I was in the virgin group. Our duckies couldn't seem to stay in a row. I was 3rd behind coach & had a hard time learning the lines. During this session I got to see my 1st rider laying in the grass.

Back to class before we could start our 2nd session on track. I left at 1st call this time to try and get behind the coach....didn't happen. I was 2nd this time. Uneventful.
Now it's time to learn body positioning. I was doing it all wrong .... for the bike they had me on. It was a bit of a challenge getting them to understand I didn't have clip-ons. They kept saying "elbows down" Once I explained to them what type bike I was on they said 'oh yeah, yours is completely different'!

On to the 3rd session, where they cut us loose. I pulled my coach aside & asked not to be turned loose just yet. I explained to him that I hadn't had a clear line on him yet and wanted to work on learning the lines of the track. He was extremely helpful. This was the 1st time that I really had fun. By the end of the session I found myself making mistakes and pitted 2 laps early. Better safe then sorry.
Now time for lunch.

1st session after lunch & 1st time being cut loose. Most fun I've had on a motorcycle in my life!
Next session out was even better then the last. Smooth & getting more comfortable with the track. Like I said before, I was here to learn and better myself not to race. Wish everyone had that attitude in Novice. I got better as the day continued. Can't wait to do it again!

The video is 3 full laps from 3 different sessions in 3 different views.

Glad you had fun at Tally!

Let me know or post up next time you do a track day man, a few buddies and I hit Barber, Tally, Jennings, Road A and Roebling on a regular basis. We're all in the Atlanta area. I don't track my FZ, but it would still be fun regardless

·
Super Moderator
5,619 Posts
I wish you would have said something...my wife and I coached in Novice group both days. I had group 2 on Sat. and group 1 on Sunday.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wish you would have said something...my wife and I coached in Novice group both days. I had group 2 on Sat. and group 1 on Sunday.
LOL you were my coach. Guess I should have dated it, this was June 28th. Just thought I would share my experience here.

·
Super Moderator
5,619 Posts
I thought something seemed odd about your post dated Today because I remembered you being in my group last month. I remember telling you about our little forum here and you started that you had been here lurking but had not signed up yet and that when you did, you would be yamahamer. Man, you had me confused for a while!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Along these lines I am currently struggling with the best body position for spirited cornering on the FZ. The bike feels like supermoto style to my hands , dropping down low makes me feel like my feet should be farther back and goes against the design of the bike.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Along these lines I am currently struggling with the best body position for spirited cornering on the FZ. The bike feels like supermoto style to my hands , dropping down low makes me feel like my feet should be farther back and goes against the design of the bike.
I'm working on that myself. My lower body was doing fine aside from the need to tuck my feet in! My upper body was still sitting upright.

I've learned to keep your head level, put your face where your bar end mirror would be and stretch those arms out. Having light input on the bars will help, my death grip is preventing me from having good control!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts