Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the FZ-09 about a week ago, I have been riding motocross forever like 40 years. This bike is a blast and easy to ride felt at home right away, going to take it easy for awhile, looking for pointers thanks

·
Registered
511 Posts
Congratulations. Nice bike. Taking it easy is a good idea. Ive been riding street bikes for 30 years and the little f#[email protected] still gets away from me sometimes. Did a two vehicle pass the other day and almost ripped my arms off. Keep the rubber side down.

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new FZ. I don't know your weight, but if you are over say 170 lbs, and ride a fairly spirited pace, the first thing you are going to notice is that the stock suspension is not adequate. There is a bunch of info here about suspension mods but honestly, try and get the loaded sag set first and see if it will work for you at all. Myself and a bunch of the folks on here have used one of our supporting Vendors, Nick Stoten who owns Stol-Tec Moto for their suspension mods. Nick worked with Penske to develop three different Penske shocks for the FZ09 and has also worked with GP suspensions for the front end stuff. He also worked with Flash-Tune and has delevoped an ECU flash that smooths out the throttle quite nicely. The nice thing about going with the Flash-Tune method through Nick is that you can also have a proper fueling map done at the same time, if he has a map for the brand of exhaust that you put on the bike. Check out his threads in the Supporting Vendor section about his work.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I had my motocross bikes suspension done by factory connection but know nothing about this street stuff, but I am sure I will learn

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Awesome man welcome. Rubber side down.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Welcome Aboard!!!! It is a fun bike. This bike definitely inspires you to kick a leg out when going into a turn. LOL You'll have fun it!!!! What Color is it???

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
hey, welcome. Everything you can possibly think about has been already asked and answered a dozen times on this site, so take some time and read around...you'll learn alot.

2 quick tips...make sure your tire pressure is correct (around 30-32 psi F&R)...typically is over inflated from the factory...same with the chain slack...make sure you have like 1-3/16" to 2" of play...this is typically waay too tight from the factory.

enjoy!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is Red did not think red could be so fast since I ride a KTM 450SXF thought orange would be faster, will check tire pressure, tires feels hard as a brick, also chain feels really tight Thanks Guys

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
It is Red did not think red could be so fast since I ride a KTM 450SXF thought orange would be faster, will check tire pressure, tires feels hard as a brick, also chain feels really tight Thanks Guys
Thank you Sir for that confirmation that the Rapid Red is still the Fastest Color:cool:

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the forum. You'll love the FZ, it's a great bike. One issue to be aware of however, is many owners of the TEPID RED model have experienced extremely slow off the line performance and overall sluggishness. There are also reports of extreme envy and shame that they didn't purchase the fastest FZ-the Liquid Graphite model, which although I understand it's not REALLY a color, it's still eminently faster...lol. Ride safely and enjoy your bike-it's an awesome machine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My orange KTM 450 is not near as fast , but is much faster in the dirt but my 1984 silver Honda Areo Scotter is faster than both LOL

1 - 19 of 19 Posts