Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I did my first oil change last night at just over 400 miles. Starting off I wanted to get it on the rear stand. I found a good way of doing this by yourself is to put a 2x4 block under the kickstand to level it off more, was way easy like that.

I put on a K&N oil filter, strong magnetic drain plug, and put in Mobil 1 4T Synthetic oil.

I read up and learned that switching to synthetic too early is just a myth, the only thing is that it can be expensive that way.

Also ran into 1 problem, I didn't know the washer full off before I put the new bolt on and I found it laying next to the pan. So I had to hurry up and switch plugs to the old one to put the washer on the new one then switch them again :-\ In doing so I am a little light on oil so I couldn't ride to work today, going to advanced auto parts today during lunch to pick up 4 more quarts of oil to be ready for the next change.

With that being said, I am excited to get her rippin after work and push her that much closer to my next oil change. Roughly between 1000-1500 miles, thinking 1200. Any input? I know change early and often for the first few thousand miles.

·
Registered
673 Posts
It can be tough to determine early oil change intervals. Tolerances are tight and oil is shared with transmission, so it definitely breaks down quicker. When I can no longer see through the oil in the sight glass and it has a runny consistency, such as coffee (when the bike is cold), I change it.

I changed mine at 350, 850, 1850, 2850 (synthetic) and it's looking like the next one will be 5000, then every 4k miles after that.

Reactions: JDub0813

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input, yeah I guess it can vary but just keep up on it and make sure it stays pretty clear. I think I will do it between 1k and 1,200 then or earlier if it doesn't stay clear. When I changed it last night it didn't seem too dirty. Wanted to get as much of the shavings out as soon as possible and get that magnetic bolt in there asap to help out.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
673 Posts
The first change at 350, that oil was toast, looked like liquid tar pouring out of the bike.

Since then all of my oil changes showed that the oil still had some life in it. It never hurts to change the oil sooner, but I like to get my monies worth. Now that I'm running expensive Redline synthetic, I'll definitely be waiting :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts