Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
If your wrench touches something metal while on the positive lead, you're going to have sparks whether the ground is connected or not. A short is a short. What you are talking about is what I was taught for jumper cables.

I do know that if you are welding, the neg lead should be pulled to keep from wrecking your battery. Now, welding on a bike is very unlikely but...

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
2,011 Posts
If your wrench touches something metal while on the positive lead, you're going to have sparks whether the ground is connected or not. A short is a short.
I don’t think that’s correct. If the battery isn’t grounded to the chassis/frame, there’s nothing to short.

If you take an unconnected battery and run a voltmeter from the positive terminal to the motorcycle frame, you get nothing. If the ground cable is attached to the negative terminal when you do that, you get ~12V. Replace the voltmeter with a wrench and do it again, and you get... a light show... 😬

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
UPDATE: I installed the new TST front turn signals with the optional running lights and everything works perfectly. Thanks again for all the advice.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts