Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after looking at the options out there for tail tidy / fender eliminators then seeing that they cost over 100 bucks I decided to go DIY. Worst part about most aftermarket kits is you lose the stock key cover and have to find a cap to cover the key hole. I decided instead of forking over the cash for a kit that has features I don't like im going to go the custom one off route. I will be using the stock long post and the stock plate/reflector bracket. I plan on cutting the post down and welding the plate bracket to the post. The part that held the reflectors will be shortened and modified to hold the blinkers. Best part is I will retain the stock key cover
Bringing it to my fabricator now. So far total cost: 0
My plan to spend about $20.00 max and a few bucks on LED blinkers

Pictures will be posted in a bit!

·
Registered
205 Posts
The Graves tail tidy allows you to keep the key cover. AND, when you come to sell the bike, you're not going to scare aware a potential buyer that you've gone to it with a hacksaw !

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
So Here it is almost finished.

The Cut

Removing some bulk

New Bracket after modifications

Finished Welding

Another Angle

Almost Done

As far as hacking the stock equipment worst comes to worst theres only one part that would need to be purchased if I sold the bike and its paid in full so I dont think I will be selling anytime soon

Next we sand blast and paint, or maybe powdercoat

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The Graves tail tidy allows you to keep the key cover. AND, when you come to sell the bike, you're not going to scare aware a potential buyer that you've gone to it with a hacksaw !
When its done it will not look hacked at all!
Total cost out the door 10 bucks and a 6 pack of beer (for the welder)
Total cost for parts ZERO!
Score!!!!

·
Vendor
2,404 Posts
Paint it with the bedliner spray paint stuff. But if you want it PC let me know. I'll get a buddy to do it on the cheap for you.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Paint it with the bedliner spray paint stuff. But if you want it PC let me know. I'll get a buddy to do it on the cheap for you.
Didn't even think of that and come to think of it a good friend of mine works at line-x

I will post pics when it is finished

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'm no welder, but I also hacked off a ~2" section of the tail bracket, but at the bottom. Welded it back together and it's been on teh bike for about 3 months now. Bracket, and before/after picture. Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Rim

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
5 coats of paint and 5 coats of clear later shes done.

Now to figure out which way I want to go as far as signals / integrator.

Stock key cover

Painted

Sand Blasted

·
Registered
123 Posts
Good job! I need to get myself a welding machine! :)

·
Registered
835 Posts
Wow that looks good!

·
Vendor
2,404 Posts
5 coats of paint and 5 coats of clear later shes done.

Now to figure out which way I want to go as far as signals / integrator.

Stock key cover

Painted

Sand Blasted
First of all, super job!
Second of all, I thought you were going with the integrated light?
We have them in stock now... ;)
You can literally bring your light over tonight and we can swap that fugger out.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I hate to break it to you, but the Graves requires the use of a hacksaw or dremel as well...and doesn't even allow for a plate light without additional modification or LED bolts.

Nice work on the DIY bracket though, looks awesome!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
First of all, super job!
Second of all, I thought you were going with the integrated light?
We have them in stock now... ;)
You can literally bring your light over tonight and we can swap that fugger out.
Most likely going that route how much?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I hate to break it to you, but the Graves requires the use of a hacksaw or dremel as well...and doesn't even allow for a plate light without additional modification or LED bolts.

Nice work on the DIY bracket though, looks awesome!
Still need to figure out what I am going to do about the plate light might look into something that will adhere to the bottom of the taillight

1 - 20 of 21 Posts