Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I needed a new backpack and decided to try my hand at making my own. I used the patterns at the Andersj website to put it together. Given the limited directions, I also watch a lot of Youtibe videos and made more than a few mistakes.

Here's a short bill of materials:
  • 1000D Cordua Fabric from RBTR (Body)
  • Nylon Ripstop from my local fabric store (Snowlock)
  • 1/8" Spacer Mesh from RBTR
  • 1/4" Yoga mat (Cushion in back and shoulder straps)
  • 1/8" ABS plastic (structure/frame)
  • Upcycled Suede from an old couch (inside liner)
  • Upcycled plastic liner from a shower curtain (extra waterproofing between liner and body)
  • 1" Polyprop Webbing from Strapworks
  • High Viz Running Strap from Walmart
  • Blaze Orange Paracord from my local sporting goods store
  • 3/4" Grosgrain from RBTR
  • Various buckles and plastic adapters

All in all, took a lot of hours (40 or 50? Didn't keep track). I learned a ton, and if I do it again, it should take a lot less time as well as turn out better.

It's comfortable and should be very durable. I'm not sure if I am quite done with it yet. May make a few changes in addition to making some attachable accessories. The big thing holding me back somewhat is what my machine (Brothers CS6000i) is capable of sewing. Even with sharp needles, more than 4 layers of Cordura does not do so well.

I did take a video as well. Just have to get it edited and I'll get it posted up. A couple of in-progress pictures. Not much, but what I have.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Nice job! What else do you do with that machine? Professional stuff, or hobby?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Just hobby. In fact, this is only the second thing I've ever made with it. The first was a little zipper pouch kit from Ripstop By The Roll directly preceding this.

Edit: A quick video on it

Yes, I still need a better audio solution than just the built in mic on a GoPro. This was the very first ride with it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts