Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a lot of these posts and don't post much, but I'm going nuts with my new Tracer GT. It's a lovely bike, but since I got it I've had nothing but problems. Now this is a long story I'm willing to share if you want, but so far I've only had it for a few weeks and most of that time it's been in the shop. We've had to install the baggage stays (they weren't installed at setup), replace the hard bags, because the stays weren't installed, and also replace the tires because the rear was rubbing on the hard bags. Here's the current issue: picking up the bike from the shop, not the one I bought the bike from, after replacing parts I find that as soon as I sit on it, the rear bottoms out. No one knows why because nothing was changed, but I know the bike didn't ride like this when I took it home. To give you an idea, my trip from selling dealer to home was 900 miles. So, we fiddle with adjustments for a while and can't get it right and decide to leave it there for another few days. Well, I pick it up today after they go through it again, get on, and hit the bottom just sitting on it. I'm done trying to convince anyone that something is actually wrong here. I ride it the few miles home and park it. Worst ride ever. I'm ordering an Ohlins rear shock. I'll fiddle with that, but I would really like to know what is wrong with the original shock. There's no leaking, no adjustments seem to be out, it just suddenly doesn't work.

I have an XSR900, a 2018, that I have no problems with. It's a great bike. I want this to be a long distance version of that, but it's not working out that well so far. I've never had trouble like this with dealers, mechanics and a brand new bike. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
How can the rear bottom out with just your weight on it? Mine only sags 33mm.
Do you have the cooked spaghetti spring version, or did they leave the spring out? Or do you weigh 600 plus kgs?
This doesn't sound possible.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know ... it's very sad. I do think it's a faulty shock and a warranty issue, but the mechanic thinks it's fine. Which is astonishing to me! There have now been three seperate shops to have their hands on this bike (the original dealer, a chain adjustment on the way home and these guys). Good thing I'm mechanically inclined and ordered the service manual because I just don't think the Yamaha mechs in the western US are very good ...

Now, I am a heavier guy, but nothing close to 600 kgs!

What I would really be curious to know is what they did to it. I mean, it went 900 miles just fine and then somehow while replacing a rear tire the shock goes bad! It makes no sense to me whatsoever.

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
mmmm-----three different dealers? I would be calling Yamaha Corporate customer service.

·
Registered
11 Posts
That sounds terrible ! Here is Australia, the Tracer GT is more expensive than the MT-09SP which comes standard with an Ohlins rear shock. I would have thought the Tracer GT would come stock with 'premium' suspension. I know the sales blurb does say that the GT's suspension is an upgrade over the standard Tracer.. but it's still KYB as far as I know?

That said though... even the stock KYB shock shouldn't bottom out with just the rider aboard. All reviews I have seen/read say that it's stock settings are very soft & aimed at around an 85kg (187lb) rider... but even if you are 2x this weight it should still cope imo. It boggles my mind that a mechanic would say it is OK to be bottoming out... obviously that's not OK.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
I know ... it's very sad. I do think it's a faulty shock and a warranty issue, but the mechanic thinks it's fine. Which is astonishing to me! There have now been three seperate shops to have their hands on this bike (the original dealer, a chain adjustment on the way home and these guys). Good thing I'm mechanically inclined and ordered the service manual because I just don't think the Yamaha mechs in the western US are very good ...

Now, I am a heavier guy, but nothing close to 600 kgs!

What I would really be curious to know is what they did to it. I mean, it went 900 miles just fine and then somehow while replacing a rear tire the shock goes bad! It makes no sense to me whatsoever.
The point is that the shock does not support your bike's weight, it's the spring. You can have a totally stuffed shock and the spring will still hold the bike up.
I'm starting to think there's a terminology gap here. By "bottoming out", do you mean the shock sits on the bump stop and has no travel left?
What are your rear sag figures, laden and unladen?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LouG, always good to clarify the terminology! When I say bottoming out, I mean that the shock has no remaining travel left ... at least that is what I'm told as I'm sitting on the bike and I can't see it for myself. I don't have sag numbers- never got that far with this shock. I agree that the spring should hold the bike up, the shock only acts to slow the motion up and down but the spring does most of the "work" as it were. The shock will hold the bike up without me and with someone significantly lighter, but not with me. I'm 120 kgs, so not light, but still well within the weight capabilities of the stock shock. It's all very perplexing ... but no matter now.

I ended up ordering an Ohlins YA538 replacement a few days ago and it got here Friday night so I replaced the stock shock. What an enormous difference! It's so much better than it was even the first day I bought the thing. It's completely worth the effort and money. I truly believe Yamaha should just go with the Ohlins as stock an just not mess around with anything else.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
LouG, always good to clarify the terminology! When I say bottoming out, I mean that the shock has no remaining travel left ... at least that is what I'm told as I'm sitting on the bike and I can't see it for myself. I don't have sag numbers- never got that far with this shock. I agree that the spring should hold the bike up, the shock only acts to slow the motion up and down but the spring does most of the "work" as it were. The shock will hold the bike up without me and with someone significantly lighter, but not with me. I'm 120 kgs, so not light, but still well within the weight capabilities of the stock shock. It's all very perplexing ... but no matter now.

I ended up ordering an Ohlins YA538 replacement a few days ago and it got here Friday night so I replaced the stock shock. What an enormous difference! It's so much better than it was even the first day I bought the thing. It's completely worth the effort and money. I truly believe Yamaha should just go with the Ohlins as stock an just not mess around with anything else.
I think you've been led astray. The shock hasn't bottomed, it just had too much sag. Did anyone wind on more preload?
Still the point is moot now, you're better off with the Ohlins. And, yes they are fitted to stock 09's. The SP model that the US doesn't get.

·
Registered
22 Posts
There is some missing information here
Like why travel 900 miles to get a bike? Then have the gaul to go to your local dealership and make them fix all the problems the other dealer messed up on. Must not like the local dealership either. Common denominator is.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts