Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got the bike on monday. Had some parts waiting for it. Smoked flush front blinkers, integrated LED tail light board from Niner, evotech fender eliminator and LED headlight and daytime running lights. Bike was picked up from a good customer of mine Mayhem Custom Motorcycles | Staten Island, NY 10314 so he can take it apart so we can powder coat a bunch of stuff. Should have it all back together by saturday morning. Wasn't going to do the wheels but since the front one came scratched I figured Id just do everything at once. The gold front forks KILL me so they had to get done right away.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Gold forks look horrible in my opinion.

Kudos on the change to black. I have silver forks on my Aussie version of the bike, and a silver frame. Would love to make both of those black.......forks are easy....frame not so much lol.

Keep updated pics coming!!!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
A question about powder coating... I have read that that the type of coating used in most applications does not have any UV resistance, and will therefore start to break down in only a few seasons of exposure. Any truth to that? How long is the coating expected to last? Also, when the wheels are done, is it necessary to remove the bearings due to grease? Thanks in advance! :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
ya the gold forks bother me as well.. can't wait to see how it turns out... powder coat or ceramic coat ?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mothy, some powders are for indoor use only. Ex- Furniture, light fixtures, etc.. Everything we use is UV stable of course. Bearings have to be removed from wheels. Powder coating can last 10-20 years. We have customers rolling around on wheels from 5 years ago (when we first opened) and still look great even through harsh NY winters. Chevis, Forks will be powder coated matte black. Ceramic is for high temp applications such as exhaust manifolds, headers, etc.. Forks are actually done (don't have photos yet) and the wheels are in the oven now!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Awesome, thanks! I located a powdercoater near my work who do mostly machinery... I'll see if they are willing to do some work out of their norm. :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Might get my front forks done locally - I'm guessing they have to come right apart ? the yamaha dealer here said 4 hours labour to take them apart lol.. ridic.. any idea the time to do it and the approx cost to have them powdercoated ?

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Chevis, it is reasonably easy to take the forks off the bike yourself, then you can give the forks to someone else for dissembly, etc. That will save on the labor cost.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Forks should come apart and be put back together in maybe 2 hours. Dealer obviously is going to charge more then a regular motorcycle shop. I decided it would be one of these colors. I did them the lime and wasn't happy with it since the tank has a blue tint to it in some light so I decided to redo them in trans teal metallic.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Seriously sexy.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Nice job.

I admit to saying to myself "teal - that is going to be terrible" - but the results speak for themselves.
Your bike looks great, and you are right the teal does accentuate the blue tint in the gray tank.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Nice job.

I admit to saying to myself "teal - that is going to be terrible" - but the results speak for themselves.
Your bike looks great, and you are right the teal does accentuate the blue tint in the gray tank.
I thought the same thing but it really looks nice. Super clean and really pops.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I thought that powder coat was thicker than paint, is this true? Did you have trouble getting the forks back into the triple w/o scratching them? When I did my springs and fork oil swap, I though of doing this. I was afraid that I'd scratch them to hell on the re-install. I painted my wheels graphite, but may powder coat down the road. Thanks for your posts, they look fantastic.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Powder Coat is thicker then paint. No problem getting them back on. As long as whoever coats them knows what they are doing and doesn't build it up really thick you'll be fine!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts