Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle accessories Motorcycle Car

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Automotive tire Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Motorcycle

CREE LED Headlight Bulb.

Constructed Windshield Mount
This was a nightmare to design but I am very happy with the results.
The windshield was an old one in my pile of parts in the basement.

Constructed a Phone/GPS Mount
Bought the spring loaded end.
Cut the ball end off of an old car mount and then center drilled it..
Made an arm and drilled and tapped it to accept the ball end.

Hand Guards
Made from aluminum grain scoops. Cut the handles off, reshaped and polished and made brackets
to attach.

Progrip Handlebar Grips
These are actually dirt bike grips so a little cutting is in order but the feel great.
I have used these same grips on all my bikes for the last 20 years.

Bar End Mirrors
I like wide angle bar end mirrors and was also planning to use the stock mirror
mounting points for mounting my speakers.

Speaker Mounts made and mounted speakers.

12 Volt Outlet brackets mounted and wired into fuse panel so will not be active unless key is on.

Radio/MP3 Player Mount constructed and painted. Mounted the Radio control box using Velcro.

Garage Door Opener
Liftmaster 89max remote.

Frame Slider

Turn Signal Relay
I replaced this with one that would keep the timing correct with the LEDS lights.

Eastern Beaver Fuse Panel
As the accessory plug only has a 2 amp fuse I used it just to power a relay that powered up a fuse panel. Now I have as much as 30 amps for heated gear, radio, etc.

Trunk Rack & Saddlebag Mounting
I have no idea how many hours this took to design and build but plenty.

License Plate Frame with Tail and Brake Lights
I made the necessary bracket to attach to the Shad trunk mounting plate.

Shad 49 Liter Trunk
Yeah, I know, it is a little big even for my taste but this is one quality trunk.
You can lock it or leave it unlocked. It removes in about 2 seconds and is so cleverly
designed that you can do it blind folded.

Givi 21 Panniers
I have used these on a lot of bikes over the years. Very basic and relatively cheap.
I hate side opening bags. When you stuff then full and try to close them you are always
pushing shit in one side while more stuff is falling out on the other side. These are
top loading.

Tail & Brake Lights
I added these extra lights (38-39 Ford repros) onto the bags.
I pre-wired my frame with the necessary wires. They are bright and when you first hit
the break they quickly blink 3 times for extra visiblilty.

Trunk Rack
I have this same rack on my Beemer and like it although so far I have never needed
to lash anything on there but who knows what the future may hold so I am ready.

Handlebars
This is the second set I made. They are 2 inches narrower than stock (from 29 to 27 inches).

Paint
I think that turned out pretty good. The painter took 3 hours just mixing until he got the color I wanted.

To Do:
New front and rear sprockets (on order)
Suspension
Maybe a G2 throttle
Shorai Lithium Battery

·
Registered
314 Posts
I like the color too. Im not a fan of all the bags though, so your bike sucks!

I'm kidding, about the sucking part, of course. Very interesting and unique. Not my style, but apparently yours.... And I can dig it!

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like the color too. Im not a fan of all the bags though, so your bike sucks!

I'm kidding, about the sucking part, of course. Very interesting and unique. Not my style, but apparently yours.... And I can dig it!
Yes I know that I am probably one of only a few that wants it that way but I like to do a lot of touring on it and fixed this way it makes a good sport touring rig much lighter than any you can buy stock. I know it sure is not the prettiest or the sportiest.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Most accessorized FZ-09 in existence me thinks.

Er why not just get a SENA SMH10 for your helmet instead of external speakers? *maybe this is a silly question*

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Most accessorized FZ-09 in existence me thinks.

Er why not just get a SENA SMH10 for your helmet instead of external speakers? *maybe this is a silly question*
I have even tried custom made made ear speakers and they still hurt my ears after about a half hour and I hate the dangled wires that I am always ripping out when getting off the bike.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Man you've been busy. Bike looks great!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Why not just buy a Triumph Tiger 800? :) I feel it's like bying an FLH and converting it to a sports bike :p That said, props for making the bike your own ;)

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Triumph Tiger 800 seat height is too high. Ugly ugly headlights. HUGE side mounted muffler that precludes saddlebags unless they stick out a mile. My bags make the bike only 28 inches wide. I also made my own rack for mounting the trunk, if you notice it allows the truck to be mounted 4 inches lower than would be possible with a normal mounting system. To me every bike that I have ever owned new or used is just a canvas, I get as much pleasure out of the customization as I do in the riding. I live, breath, and eat motorcycles. They are more than my hobby, they are my life.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This winter I plan on making a carbon fiber half fairing for it. I have done this is the past with fiber glass but want to try my hand with the carbon. I can then integrate the speakers into the fairing and include enough space to hide a true electronic cruise control. (saves me paying speeding tickets)

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
This winter I plan on making a carbon fiber half fairing for it. I have done this is the past with fiber glass but want to try my hand with the carbon. I can then integrate the speakers into the fairing and include enough space to hide a true electronic cruise control. (saves me paying speeding tickets)
Its a really cool custom job you have there- but if you are going to work with carbon fiber, be careful as the fibers are supposedly finer. i worked with a artist who was developing windcsreens with me and it is just a bit harder material to work with but very rewarding.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I really admire the cleverness and craftsmanship it took to make the FZ a "sport tourer". It never would have occurred to me to do this. You are obviously a man of vision!

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I really admire the cleverness and craftsmanship it took to make the FZ a "sport tourer". It never would have occurred to me to do this. You are obviously a man of vision!
Thank you for the kind words, I am flattered to say the least.
Today I got my new sprockets in and installed them. I went from the stock 45/16 to a 43/17 for about 11.6 percent change. I like it, it always seemed to me that the transmission ratios were too close and that I had to shift more than it seemed necessary. I ordered a speed SpeedoDRD to reset my speedometer with but it has not arrived let. In my short ride tonight I discovered going onto an on ramp that sure enough in 1st gear, twist the throttle, and the front says bye bye to the pavement same as before, hehe.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts